Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Coping with the holidays

[On...]

I am going to family gatherings this holiday for a week and I know my stress level will rise, a lot. I considered not going, but this year these are vey special gatherings that I really want to be a part of. I am doing all I can to prepare now by holding, practicing healthy habits, and planning ahead to ward off last minute panic attacks.

I hate to say it but I am tempted to go up on my dose and then pay the price afterwards. I don't want to do this, but the worry I could really not cope (or worse get into an argument because my nerves are frayed) is a real potential problem. Does going up for four days and later six days totally set me back?

What will you do to cope with the holidays?

I haven't done this so hopefully someone who has can chime in, but I wonder how far up you would need to go to see any noticeable relief during a more stressful time. Maybe just hold until the New Year?

I am going to hold, but might go to .5 mg one or or two of the days if I am desperate. I think it would be relief, but then go right back down the next day. Hoping someone has tried this and can tell me if it is a bad idea. Just want some relief on a few of those holiday days.

Wow, that is a really long time to be around family! I like my family, but I wouldn't want to be with them for longer then a day. Is there any way you can make arrangements to stay somewhere away from the gathering, so you have some "get away" time? Visit the rest of the city? or arrange to leave early/arrive late? I would seriously go nuts, and I'm not even suffering that much from withdrawal.

I would be nervous about going up in dose, you never know how your body could react. Holding seems like a good idea.

I am going to two family gatherings, one for four days at Thanksgiving and another for six days at Christmas. I know my stress level will rise, alot. I considered not going, but this year these are vey special gatherings that I really want to be a part of. I am doing all I can to prepare now by holding, practicing healthy habits, and planning ahead to ward off last minute panic attacks.

I hate to say it but I am tempted to go up on my dose for four days at Thanksgiving and six days at Christmas and then pay the price afterwards. I don't want to do this, but the worry I could really not cope (or worse get into an argument because my nerves are frayed) is a real potential problem. Does going up for four days and later six days totally set me back?

Holding for the holidays seems wise to me.  I am planning to do the same.

I won't be able to get away easily, but I will encourage them to go about their daily life and get out when they need to do whatever they need to do. I plan to go to my room and read during the day, and at night, say goodnight around 9:00, just to get alone time, especially since I am wackier at night. They need breaks too from entertaining everyone.

I am going to two family gatherings, one for four days at Thanksgiving and another for six days at Christmas. I know my stress level will rise, alot. I considered not going, but this year these are vey special gatherings that I really want to be a part of. I am doing all I can to prepare now by holding, practicing healthy habits, and planning ahead to ward off last minute panic attacks.

I hate to say it but I am tempted to go up on my dose for four days at Thanksgiving and six days at Christmas and then pay the price afterwards. I don't want to do this, but the worry I could really not cope (or worse get into an argument because my nerves are frayed) is a real potential problem. Does going up for four days and later six days totally set me back?

You have come a long way.  I think going up for a few days will set you way back. 

Q: Are you going to the same place twice.

Is it the same people?  That begs the question why?  You couldn't pay me enough to spend more than a few hours with my birth family, and I like them. 

I cope with the holidays (xmas) by minimization.  I limit the total social interactions to a couple of dinners.  But we live within easy driving distance to everyone.  As a long time recovered alcohlic, I learned long ago to always leave myself an out.  I am good for a day or two during any holiday and then I want to be back to my routine.  I am the same with beach vacations:  I can handle about four days of an all inclusive and then I have had enough. 

Above all: Take it one day at a time, sorry.. couldn't resist  :)

You seem to be projecting that you will need to updose.  Why not stay on hold and take it as it comes.  Control what you can. 

Jorge and Meowie, you both are funny!  You're right, I just will hold. Once I start getting tense, though, I can't seem to control what I say and then I say stupid things.

I better time it to like two hours of interaction with them at a time and then go to my room. I know I start getting tense around 4 pm so I better start practicing now just shutting off and no people contact for a few hours, then a brief dinner then go to bed. Oh crud, I'll be so much fun to be around. I can't cancel this either, will make them even more disappointed.

I'm sure you can make this work somehow--do they know what is going on with you? Making up vague maladies is very helpful, and not much of a stretch (lie!). Just say you have to go to your room and lie down for a while, Or take a nap, put your legs up. Bring along a lot of good reading material and some meditation type tapes. If worse comes to worse, you could cut the visit short, say you aren't feeling well, need to check in with your doctor, etc..Maybe plan an emergency exit strategy ahead of time.

Please don't up your dose. I did this the night before a cruise as I was stressing out. I wound up on the first morning of the cruise dry retching, no sleep, irritable bladder from Hell. I had to see the ship's Dr who gave me an assortment of meds. to get me over the hump. They worked and I actually had a good time, but when I got home restarting my taper was difficult.