Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Allergy like symptoms

[Je...]

I have bad allergy like symptoms. My face is numb, post nasal drip, watery eyes, head presure and popping. Do any of yoy have this? What do you do?

Hi Jenn,

I'm only twenty five days off but I had heaps of allergy like symptoms including random runny nose, sore throat etc. I just ignored those symptoms because the mental ones scare me more.

I admit it is difficult to imagine that these symptoms would emerge now from Benzo withdrawal but anything is possible.....I have every one of those symptoms....the excessive nasal discharge started during my early taper tries before I committed to the whole process and I blamed it on many things but the rest of the symptoms emerged during the June-July 2016 acute withdrawal...I tried eleven different antihistamine pills and nasal sprays without any response. That is probably because it is a vasomotor response from the glutamate-GABA Dysfunction imbalance...I have been close to accepting that I may have to live with all these aggravating symptoms when all of a sudden they are getting better!  One symptom you didn't mention was a horrible itchy nose...OMG, made me crazy for 18 weeks and is now GONE!  I am excessively grateful, believe me!  I have been using up 3 boxes of tissue a week, and had to use the ones with lotion for my poor nose.

I noticed your symptoms and postings for help started 4 days ago so maybe it is hay fever, that would be a blessing, eh?  I think if Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl etc helps it is probably a seasonal allergy.  If it is the Glutamatergic System, it is not permanent most likely.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Hello Mattlovescats, congrats on 25 days off. The mental symptoms will improve. I have had quite a journey as I am sure you have. I appreciate your response. I am just worn out from all of thr symproms and ups and downs. Hopefully we are all better soon. .

Hi Jenn,

I'm only twenty five days off but I had heaps of allergy like symptoms including random runny nose, sore throat etc. I just ignored those symptoms because the mental ones scare me more.

Thanks for your response Choco. I actually thought about it more and probably had these symptoms before but they are worse now. I didn't take notes and my memory is horrible. I have had posts since 8 months off. I am 10 months off. Thanks for the xplanation of the Glutamate. I just want this torture to end. I want to breathe again and my eyes to allow me to see and to be able to drive and function. Its been exhausting. I know you are well aware. Thanks for your input.

I admit it is difficult to imagine that these symptoms would emerge now from Benzo withdrawal but anything is possible.....I have every one of those symptoms....the excessive nasal discharge started during my early taper tries before I committed to the whole process and I blamed it on many things but the rest of the symptoms emerged during the June-July 2016 acute withdrawal...I tried eleven different antihistamine pills and nasal sprays without any response. That is probably because it is a vasomotor response from the glutamate-GABA Dysfunction imbalance...I have been close to accepting that I may have to live with all these aggravating symptoms when all of a sudden they are getting better!  One symptom you didn't mention was a horrible itchy nose...OMG, made me crazy for 18 weeks and is now GONE!  I am excessively grateful, believe me!  I have been using up 3 boxes of tissue a week, and had to use the ones with lotion for my poor nose.

I noticed your symptoms and postings for help started 4 days ago so maybe it is hay fever, that would be a blessing, eh?  I think if Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl etc helps it is probably a seasonal allergy.  If it is the Glutamatergic System, it is not permanent most likely.

Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

Yes, I get it that tracking this symptom takes a back seat to so many of our symptoms..For several months I had very dry eyes at the same time my nose was running like a faucet..now I am having lots of thin watery tears....that DRAIN into my nose and really make my nose run even more!!!!  I just can't win!!!

If it is Benzo related I am hopeful that we will both recover!!!!  Buy Kleenex or Puffs Plus with lotion!!!