Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Had a little talk with my pharmacist this morning

[Gi...]

Hello, all! First post in this part of the forum.

Three mos. off, feeling window-y today and my favorite pharmacist was working so I thought I'd take the opportunity to make sure he knew benzo w/d was a real thing and share a little of what I've been through with him. I told him I tapered over three mos, took my last 7/22/16 and was still having some insomnia, tinnitis, dizziness, head pressure, anxiety, etc. and that I thought people who talked about how bad benzo w/d was were a neurotic minority at first and I don't know what percentage of people who go off have significant problems, I was now convinced it was a serious public health problem that was kept very hush hush because of the stigma of addiction even though my shrink, who is now chief of Psychiatry at a major hospital, kept writing me scripts for 0.5-1 a day for 7 years. (And he's no longer my shrink. And he's getting a letter too when I'm ready.)

It felt good to tell someone sympathetic in the system and have them listen. He knows me to be an informed, reasonable person. It looked like some of what I was saying was new to him and he wasn't writing me off at least.

Gina

I applaud your actions, GinaA! Good for you! And it's great that you have a receptive pharmacist. I hope to do the same once I'm better, because I think it's a very important conversation to have. Pharmacists play a major role in educating the public when it comes to meds, and if they wanted to do the right thing, they would caution people if they saw repeat or long-term prescriptions for benzodiazepines.

If your pharmacist still seems receptive, then maybe you can share a copy of the Ashton Manual with him. Who knows? Maybe he'll share it with his colleagues, or at least, think twice about the role he plays in the cycle of benzodiazepine dependence.

If you follow up with him, do post again. I'd be interested to hear how it goes.  :thumbsup:

I think a little well-controlled anger in "an informed reasonable person" can go a long way! I think I'm pretty similar. Screaming at others won't likely help, but sharing usable information in a rational way (backed up by facts, if possible) might just be the ticket to making a small ripple in the ocean.