Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dealing with brain fog

[bl...]

So, I was abruptly CT'd while I was in the hospital for a major surgery seven weeks ago.  It was in my chart that I was taking .05mg per night for sleep but I never got it in the hospital probably because of all of the other meds they were giving me post op.  I had no idea that discontinuing in this way could cause any problems.  As far as I knew, Xanax was a safe med to take at this low dose and would not be addictive.  I now know better.  I was discharged with other pain meds which I took for two weeks and then the nightmare began.  Once the pain meds were finished, I found that I could not sleep. Shakiness and weakness (jelly legs) set in.  I could not taste or smell anything and I lost quite a bit of weight.  My scalp and fingertips were numb.  These symptoms come and go in intensity but by far the worst symptom that I am dealing with is the brain fog.  I feel like my brain is wrapped in plastic and everything is dull.  I am off balance and feel like I am observing the world through a sheet of plastic.  I feel detached from everything around me.  It's usually worst in the morning and sometimes lifts a bit during the day.  Sometimes in the evening I feel almost normal but then it starts all over again the next day.  I have a family that depends on me and just wants me to be normal and I want to be be normal again for them (and for myself).  I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has dealt with this brain fog issue.  Any experience, advice or info that could offer me some hope of recovery would be very welcome.  I am beginning to despair that I will never get better and will be stuck in this haze for the rest of my life.

Hi blackeyedsusan, the symptoms you are describing sound like depersonalization and derealisation. If you read about them on WIKI it mentions benzo WD is a cause. You may have heard about that by now. The funny thing for me was I have never heard of them, but I was already describing those symptoms before I knew the name. They super messed up my view of myself, who I was, my connections to others and a lot of other things.

Brain fog for me is probably the worse thing for me than anything else. I always worked with my mind so it is definitely a hard blow.

Thanks for your reply! Iit looks like you have been off of benzo's since November 2015.  Are you still dealing with the brain fog?  Has there been any improvement? I want so much to just be "me" again and so does my family.  I used to be creative, fun, and fairly smart (I think) but now I am just doing my best to function on a very basic level.  My fear is that this foggy brain is going to be permanent. 

Are u still dealing with brain fog..? I know u stopped cold turkey 9/16.. I have the same thing with dizziness.. does it ever go away im getting really nervous that this is permanent..

Yes, I am still dealing with brain fog. It's usually at its worst in the morning and sometimes it lifts a bit during the day but not always.  By evening I usually feel somewhat normal but then it starts all over again the next day.  Today I actually had a good day where the fog and dizziness was not terrible.  I'm also worried that this condition is going to be permanent.  I would love to hear from someone who has healed and gotten past this brain fog.  Anyone ?

blackeyedsusan, im off xanax since 29/08 and I feel dizzy, confused, with this brain fog every day, worst at morning. When I move my head the dizziness gets worse. hope you get better.

Hi Susan, I have the spacy floaty head (aka cog-fog or benzo brain) among other symptoms too, and hate it. I'm still mid-taper and don't have Xanax experience, but I will tell you that it is still early in your recovery. I know it's hard to hear that time is the healer and to be patient, but it's the truth. You may find the cog-fog lifting pretty soon. Keep your eyes on the horizon.