Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

7 weeks CT...any hope ?

[bl...]

I finally decided to join after lurking on this site for a few weeks, just reading the posts and success stories and looking for some hope of recovery.  Here is my story; I was prescribed Xanax by my doctor several years ago for menopausal issues.  I used .05 mg on an "as needed" basis for awhile but then stopped without any difficulty that I can remember. I didn't care for it because it made me sleepy during the day.  After not using it for quite awhile, I started using  the .05 mg again each night before bedtime for sleep issues.  I can't remember exactly how long I used it for sleep; maybe 8-10 months.  I had a few troubling symptoms pop up that I now realize were probably caused by reaching tolerance.  I had severe stomach issues of gas and bloating and also some burning on the palms of my hands.  I thought that was strange but at the time I had no idea that it could be benzo related. As far as I knew, xanax was safe and non-addictive at the low dose I was taking.  Seven weeks ago I entered the hospital for a major surgery and it was during my stay there that the Xanax was abruptly discontinued as I was being given a lot of other medications post surgery.  I still had no idea that this could cause withdrawal problems.  I got sent home with other pain meds, which I was on for about 2 weeks.  It was after the pain meds ran out that the trouble started. All of a sudden I was unable to sleep. Shaking and weakness set in as well as the stomach issues flaring up again.  I was unable to taste, smell or eat so I lost quite a bit of weight. I had numbness in my scalp and fingertips and racing heart. However, the most troubling symptom that I have been dealing with is the brain fog.  Most of the other symptoms come and go in intensity and I can deal with them for the most part but this brain fog is pretty well constant.  It is worst in the morning and sometimes gets better as the day goes on (sometimes not) and many times I feel fairly normal by evening.  However, it starts all over again the next day. I am feeling a sense of detachment to the world around me.  I feel like I am looking at life through a sheet of plastic wrap and my brain feels like it is wrapped in plastic and everything is dull.  I also feel dizzy and "off kilter".  I have a family that depends on me so I try to function as best I can but it is very difficult.  I am starting to despair that this will never get any better and I will be stuck like this for the rest of my life. 

Hi  :) Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Those are all classic withdrawal symptoms. Cold turkey withdrawals are ill advised for a number of reasons but one of them is that symptoms can be severe at times, especially during the early months. Yes, there is hope for you. Healing is a gradual process. Your CNS needs to heal, but it will. Also it is quite common to feel your worst in the morning and your best in the evening. It was that way for me too. Some say it because cortisol levels are the highest upon waking and lower before bed.

You might like to check out The Ashton Manual it is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. 

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

Members discuss their symptoms on the Post withdrawal recovery support.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again Welcome!  :smitten:

benzos-R-cruel

Thank you for the warm welcome ! I see that you said that your worst time was also in the morning and better in the evening.  May I ask if you have healed and how you are doing now ?  I am just trying to find any hope at all that this brain fuzziness will get better and that I will return to my old self.  I used to be creative, smart, funny...now I'm just existing and trying to survive.  My family deserves to have their wife/mom back.  I just have no idea if/when that's going to happen.