Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I suck at liquid titration...please help...

[Li...]

I've been doing extremely well as of late.  I had to fast taper 3 different medications after being released from the hospital a little over 3 months ago.  I've added two supplements and some exercise into the mix and that allowed me to go from 6 medications to 3 while still getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep per night.  I have grown relationships that have unlocked emotions and reversed some symptoms of PSSD.  My pdoc is in a hurry to have me taken off Klonopin as the pdoc believes I have hit tolerance.  However, the pdoc wants me to drop at a rate of .25 mg per week which will land me back into inpatient again from insomnia.  So I keep telling the pdoc I'm not ready to drop the Klonopin yet but there is going to come a time where I get cut off of the Klonopin just because that's what pdocs can do and have done to me in the past.

Tonight, I just wanted to try and see if my system could handle milk titration of Klonopin.  I didn't want to do any reductions but the way things turned out, it seems like that might have accidentally happened.  I poured milk into a funnel to try and get 100 mg of whole milk in the graduated cylinder.  That was a messy procedure even with the funnel and only a half gallon of milk.  I ground up three 1 mg pills of Klonopin in the mortar and pestle.  I poured the Klonopin powder into a styrofoam cup since I didn't have any plastic cups.  I tried to get as much of the powder out of the mortar and into the styrofoam cup.  I stirred for a few minutes with the pestle.  I drank the Klonopin milkshake from the styrofoam cup.  It didn't take long for it to make my throat feel like it was burning.  I noticed that there was still some green powder (the 1 mg Klonopin pills are green) at the bottom stuck to the bottom of the styrofoam cup.  I tried pouring more milk into the cup and stirring but I couldn't really get all of the green powder out.  Was it because I used a styrofoam cup?  What am I doing wrong?  If I cannot do this simple task, I don't want to mess up when I actually try removing the liquid with an oral syringe.  Any suggestions on how to improve my liquid titration system introduction would be appreciated.

There is a link to a youtube video posted here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=38939.0

Maybe this will help you.  Good luck!

shea610,

Thanks for responding.  I have looked at the videos that were posted here and I made my own notes from the videos.  I tried using a glass instead of a styrofoam cup last night but there is always still a little bit of the green powder at the bottom which concerns me.  My throat still burns after drinking it and it hits my system really hard.  I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Hi LifeIN Chaos, great to hear that you are doing so well! Is is possible that the green stuff is just from the pill coating? and not any active ingredient? I think the real test would be how your dose feels, and if it seems consistent.

I have to say the idea of doing a titration in milk always kind of bothered me, as I like a visual on how things are dispersing.

Only a  tiny percentage (< 1%) of your tablet is K, the rest is non-med, inactive ingredients, some of which will be insoluble..

Don't worry about the residue.  The inactive insolubles won't make any difference.

Hi Life,

I just measure out my milk with a syringe into a mason jar, drop a pill in and shake. It dissolves. Leave it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours and shake occasionally. You don't have to grind it up. You make the next days dose when you take your dose so you always have one made up.

I also pour water into the empty jar after my dosing to get what's left out and then drink it.

Hope this helps.  It's really easy.

Jenny

Think I'm doing what Jenny is doing.

I just started my liquid titration using milk 4 days ago for Valium and holding at .5mg Klonopin until I get the Valium back down to 15mg.  Psych doc then wants me to hold on the Valium and focus on getting off the Klonopin.  I tried grinding the Valium (like you) on day 1 and there was still some in the container.  Now I'm making my solution the night before (based on YouTube video) using 200mg milk, pouring it into a jar and dropping 20mg Valium (2 - 10mg pills) in and shake well.  I will continue to shake occasionally when I open the fridge and again the next morning.  H made spreadsheet and I use 10mg syringe and toss xxx amount and divide the rest into 3 sm baby jars or sm containers and top the containers with more milk. 

Klonopin dissolves even faster then Valium as I sometimes will just dissolve the K under my tongue.  I have to say the milk does have a bit of a strange taste, but the pills are dissolved.  I don't think topping the jars with milk hurts as I still have my daily dosage there.  I also add water to the jars to drink a couple times after just to make sure I'm getting it all.  Don't know if this helps, but that's what I'm doing and it's only day 4 so can't vouch for any symptoms yet.

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up.  Sending healing vibes your way.

Kass

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for replying.  I forgot to check new replies for a long time and have just been using the Progress Log.  I have been doing well with the exception of the last two days.  I still need to re-read everyone's answers but right now I am very confused from lack of sleep.  The only thing I have to add right now is that I was shown this method of coming off Klonopin with a compound pharmacy and I wonder what people think about it:

http://beyondmeds.com/2008/08/17/klonopin-withdrawal-fyi/

It doesn't make sense to me because it seems like I'm going to have to pay for 300 bottles of compounded liquid if I'm trying to come off at a rate of .01 mg per day since I'm at 3 mg now.  Does that make sense?  Sorry if I'm confusing, I'm very out of it.

Hi Life,

I just measure out my milk with a syringe into a mason jar, drop a pill in and shake. It dissolves. Leave it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours and shake occasionally. You don't have to grind it up. You make the next days dose when you take your dose so you always have one made up.

I also pour water into the empty jar after my dosing to get what's left out and then drink it.

Jenny

hi jenny im currently try to find the best way off my 2.5 klonapin. i was on 6-7 at this time last year and went to 3-4 overnight in december. have been sick all year. trying to find an EASY slow way to get off these things. i was on 3-4 this whole year but have been on the 2.5 for about 25 days now. im researching to death and want to try titration but brain is not working right and cannot understand everything with the spreadsheets and all. what percent reduction are doing? i heard milk is kind of iffy to use. that pg or alcohol is better but i really dont want to put those in my body. can you please help me in anyway? how you are keeping track of current dose etc? im dosing three times a day which makes it more complicated. im in desperate need of some help right now. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks so much.

Hi LifeIN Chaos, great to hear that you are doing so well! Is is possible that the green stuff is just from the pill coating? and not any active ingredient? I think the real test would be how your dose feels, and if it seems consistent.

I have to say the idea of doing a titration in milk always kind of bothered me, as I like a visual on how things are dispersing.

Thanks meowie.  Things were going so well for me up until the last two days.  No changes in supplements or medication dosages either.  Everything about these generic Teva brand Klonopin pills are green, inside and out.  It's a completely green powder once I crush them up with the mortar and pestle.  I got rid of the green residue by switching to red plastic cups and stirring almost non-stop for at least 10 minutes.  It doesn't burn my throat or hit me hard anymore when I drink the Klonopin milkshake.  I like a visual on everything as well.  I need objective data otherwise I get scared.  I want something to be able to say that there is exactly 2.99 mg in the cup for example.  Maybe I just need to trust the process and go based on how I feel?

Only a  tiny percentage (< 1%) of your tablet is K, the rest is non-med, inactive ingredients, some of which will be insoluble..

Don't worry about the residue.  The inactive insolubles won't make any difference.

Thanks for that information builder.  I think that just makes me even more scared if only less than 1% is actually Klonopin in an already tiny pill.  Now I'm thinking well where exactly in that cup of milk is the < 1% of Klonopin at?  If I remove 1 ml out of the 100 ml, how do I know the Klonopin was removed?  Do I just need to trust the process and stop overanalyzing this?

Hi Life,

Jenny

Thanks Jenny.  The only thing I understand is that I don't have to grind the Klonopin up and I can just leave it in a milk-filled mason jar to have it dissolve.  My brain is really damaged from 40+ different medications, so I don't really comprehend everything.  Would I pour 100 ml of milk into the mason jar?  Sorry, before all this happened I did computer science and I think like a (broken) robot.  I have to follow very linear steps and if one step if missing I don't have the ability to think like a human to fill in the proper step.

Think I'm doing what Jenny is doing.

I just started my liquid titration using milk 4 days ago for Valium and holding at .5mg Klonopin until I get the Valium back down to 15mg.  Psych doc then wants me to hold on the Valium and focus on getting off the Klonopin.  I tried grinding the Valium (like you) on day 1 and there was still some in the container.  Now I'm making my solution the night before (based on YouTube video) using 200mg milk, pouring it into a jar and dropping 20mg Valium (2 - 10mg pills) in and shake well.  I will continue to shake occasionally when I open the fridge and again the next morning.  H made spreadsheet and I use 10mg syringe and toss xxx amount and divide the rest into 3 sm baby jars or sm containers and top the containers with more milk. 

Klonopin dissolves even faster then Valium as I sometimes will just dissolve the K under my tongue.  I have to say the milk does have a bit of a strange taste, but the pills are dissolved.  I don't think topping the jars with milk hurts as I still have my daily dosage there.  I also add water to the jars to drink a couple times after just to make sure I'm getting it all.  Don't know if this helps, but that's what I'm doing and it's only day 4 so can't vouch for any symptoms yet.

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up.  Sending healing vibes your way.

Kass

Thanks Kass.  I probably need to re-read your response a lot more times to grasp it.  My brain is too damaged to understand it right now.  Sorry.

Hi Life,

Jenny

hi jenny im currently try to find the best way off my 2.5 klonapin. i was on 6-7 at this time last year and went to 3-4 overnight in december. have been sick all year. trying to find an EASY slow way to get off these things. i was on 3-4 this whole year but have been on the 2.5 for about 25 days now. im researching to death and want to try titration but brain is not working right and cannot understand everything with the spreadsheets and all. what percent reduction are doing? i heard milk is kind of iffy to use. that pg or alcohol is better but i really dont want to put those in my body. can you please help me in anyway? how you are keeping track of current dose etc? im dosing three times a day which makes it more complicated. im in desperate need of some help right now. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks so much.

hopefreegirl,

Yeah, I don't really understand too much because my brain feels fried from so many meds.  I think the best thing for you to do even though we are in similar situations would be to start your own new thread in this section so we don't get our answers mixed up.  You also stand a better chance of getting more responses from other BB members since you will have your own fresh thread.

After re-reading the posts and re-watching the video, I think I came up with a step by step method that I can follow for now.  Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

My Step By Step Simplified Method For Klonopin Liquid Titration (Currently Without Reductions)

Equipment:

Refrigerator

Half gallon of whole milk

One glass 100 ml graduated cylinder with 1 ml increments

One 3.75 oz glass jar

One large plastic funnel

Three 1 mg generic Teva brand Klonopin pills

Steps:

Pour 100 ml of whole milk into the 100 ml graduated cylinder using the plastic funnel

Pour all of the milk from the graduated cylinder into the glass jar

Place the three 1 mg Klonopin pills into the glass jar

Close the glass jar tightly

Shake the contents of the glass jar

Place the glass jar in the refrigerator

Wait overnight for the Klonopin to dissolve in the milk

Take the glass jar out of the refrigerator

Shake the contents of the glass jar again

Open the glass jar

Drink the entire contents of the glass jar for a full dose of 3 mg Klonopin liquefied

The Klonopin didn't dissolve in the whole milk overnight.  There was still so much green residue leftover.  I also noticed that when I shake the jar, there are way too many milk bubbles.  My compound pharmacy doesn't seem to have a solution on their end yet, so I'm still going to have to figure this out.  My jam jars are too small, only being able to contain 3.75 ounces when 100 ml is 3.3814 ounces, so I ordered two different types of 6 ounce jam jars now.  I also ordered larger stainless steel funnels and another 100 ml graduated cylinder as a backup.  Is there a way to stop the milk bubbles?  Anybody else able to help me with this liquid titration disaster?

The Klonopin didn't dissolve in the whole milk overnight.  There was still so much green residue leftover.  I also noticed that when I shake the jar, there are way too many milk bubbles.  My compound pharmacy doesn't seem to have a solution on their end yet, so I'm still going to have to figure this out.  My jam jars are too small, only being able to contain 3.75 ounces when 100 ml is 3.3814 ounces, so I ordered two different types of 6 ounce jam jars now.  I also ordered larger stainless steel funnels and another 100 ml graduated cylinder as a backup.  Is there a way to stop the milk bubbles?  Anybody else able to help me with this liquid titration disaster?

"Only a  tiny percentage (< 1%) of your tablet is K, the rest is non-med, inactive ingredients, some of which will be insoluble..

Don't worry about the residue.  The inactive insolubles won't make any difference."

Life in Chaos, have you considered something like Ora-plus? It tastes nasty, so I would go with Ora-sweet. Perhaps you could mix it with milk? It would help keep a nice suspension, so you might feel more comfortable with that.