Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Kindling from benzo use 20 years ago?

[Gr...]

I used both Xanax and Valium around 1995. The Xanax was maybe a year and the Valium for several months in the same time period. Valium was 2mg 1-2x per day as needed. Xanax was .5-1.5mg at bedtime as needed. My dosages varied and I didn't necessarily take them every day, it was just based off how I felt. I never did any taper plan, I just gradually stopped using them as my anxiety and dizziness improved.

I never took a benzo again until 2011. Now I'm doing a slow taper of Valium after crossing over from Xanax, and I feel every cut. I'm wondering, can someone be kindled from previous usage of benzos even with a 15 year gap?

I have no benzo exp. with this, but I believe it is possible. the analogy is smoking for me. I used to be regular smoker about 20 years ago (btw wow when those 20 years passed). now here and then I smoke even today. but when I smoke every evening for couple days, I can tell the old addiction coming back. not like instantly in full blast, but I can sense it is coming.

I used both Xanax and Valium around 1995. The Xanax was maybe a year and the Valium for several months in the same time period. Valium was 2mg 1-2x per day as needed. Xanax was .5-1.5mg at bedtime as needed. My dosages varied and I didn't necessarily take them every day, it was just based off how I felt. I never did any taper plan, I just gradually stopped using them as my anxiety and dizziness improved.

I never took a benzo again until 2011. Now I'm doing a slow taper of Valium after crossing over from Xanax, and I feel every cut. I'm wondering, can someone be kindled from previous usage of benzos even with a 15 year gap?

It seems like you are doing great on your taper, I wouldn't worry about kindling. It doesn't change anything anyway. I think feeling every cut is normal, I sure do!

I'm in a similar boat. I used benzos off and on over the last few years without any problems at all. Whenever I stopped I had no SFX. Now I wonder if that's made things harder now, or kindled me. But then I realise it doesn't change anything now whether it did or did not kindle me. I'm still going through this. There's no point wondering about what could have happened. I like to think no, I would be going through this anyway even without the prior usage  ;)

Yeah, I remember the first time around I blamed all my physical symptoms and anxiety on the inner ear disease I had, but in hindsight maybe some of it was interdose withdrawals. I guess there's no way to tell now.

That's normal withdrawal.  It has nothing to do with your past PRN benzo usage.

I can't imagine that it's kindling. I'm not sure the analogy of smoking is quite the same though. Think nicotine is an entirely different beast. But, I'm not sure about that except there's a difference if you quit smoking years ago and have a few for a couple of days I'm not sure you're in withdrawal at that point. Merely wishing for another cig. Think more a habit problem but definitely not sure. Anyway, no matter what my guess is you're simply feeling the cuts. I'm not kindling but wow feel every cut. So I guess it is what it is. You're doing so great...wouldn't worry. B  :thumbsup:

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't even remember doing it, but according to some old emails I was looking through recently I was taking Xanax during my horrid divorce five years ago.

I think it truly was just a few pills over a short time period. I am certain I never refilled the prescription.

But that use plus various benzos during surgery times in the last 18 months...

And I'm told I had to be "sedated" at bedtime when I was a very young child, as I was an insomniac. My mother got something from my pediatrician to make me sleep. This would have been in the early 1960's. Bet it was a benzo.

So I have certainly had prior exposure to the poison.

Thing is it doesn't really matter if it's kindling or not. It's what you feel now that's important. We just have to take each day as it comes. I try not think of all the benzos I was given before. It's now that's important to me. I'm finally down to 10 mg of Valium so I tell myself that's only 1 mg of Ativan. Oddly this helps me see the end to all this. But I try to stay in the present and not look back...the what ifs drive me crazy. It's the future that's important. B