Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

A glass of wine while Tapering

[mi...]

Hi All,

I am down to .25 a day of klonipin (.125 8am and .125 8pm). My psychiatrist said it's okay for me to have a glass of wine at this point if I want to. I have a date this Friday, and would like to have a glass of wine, no more than that because I don't want to get awful side effects.

My question is, if I have the wine before my 8pm dose, do I still take the 8pm dose? My doctor doesn't seem to think there's an issue as it's only .125, but wanted to know others' opinions/experiences.

Thank you!

Maria

From personal experience, I had a botched taper the first time around bc I was uneducated and drank alcohol during and after taper. It made every side affect 100x worse and ultimately put me back on the med school later down the road. Even a beer made me reved up. But everyone feels things differently. I wish I could go out on a date and have some wine haha maybe one day again. Best of luck though.

I had a glass of wine or the occasional beer during my tapper and no problems.  Please do not buy into the extreme fear preached on this forum.  Yes benzo withdrawal sucks but you have to live your life and one drink is not a big deal.

Everyone is different on this, but many (including me), have had bad experiences with even one drink--in my case, it can make my insomnia much worse. Some seem to have no issue at all. Yes, you would take your evening dose as usual.

I don't drink wine but have enjoyed the odd beer throughout the last few months. Doesn't have any negative effect on me. Actually I quite enjoy it but very rarely do it. A date? Good for you. But yes, take your dose. That's important. It is a very small dose. Enjoy your date.  :thumbsup: B

From personal experience, I had a botched taper the first time around bc I was uneducated and drank alcohol during and after taper. It made every side affect 100x worse and ultimately put me back on the med school later down the road. Even a beer made me reved up. But everyone feels things differently. I wish I could go out on a date and have some wine haha maybe one day again. Best of luck though.

Thanks, twowheels. That's what I'm afraid of - is one glass of wine worth symptoms revving up? Might try to hold off, but don't want to give my date details about my taper or he'll think i'm  :idiot: hahaha

I had a glass of wine or the occasional beer during my tapper and no problems.  Please do not buy into the extreme fear preached on this forum.  Yes benzo withdrawal sucks but you have to live your life and one drink is not a big deal.

Yes, just one glass, I've never been much of a drinker, but I do miss my malbec  :smitten:

Everyone is different on this, but many (including me), have had bad experiences with even one drink--in my case, it can make my insomnia much worse. Some seem to have no issue at all. Yes, you would take your evening dose as usual.

Thanks, meowie. I guess I'm scared of the symptoms, but I think I'll play it by ear. Depends on how understanding the guy is - if he pressures me I guess he's not worth it, right?  :)

I don't drink wine but have enjoyed the odd beer throughout the last few months. Doesn't have any negative effect on me. Actually I quite enjoy it but very rarely do it. A date? Good for you. But yes, take your dose. That's important. It is a very small dose. Enjoy your date.  :thumbsup: B

Thank you, barb. I'm always terrified of mixing alcohol with benxos, even if my night dose is a .125 - you read all those horror stories and it can't help but scare you.  :(

I try to avoid the horror stories. But if you're very frightened of drinking you are anticipating the worst. You could just order a glass of wine and sip it very slowly. No need to even finish it. The important part to me though is taking your dose or the next day, or that night, you might feel crummy. If it was a large dose? Maybe I'd cut in half or something but really I can't imagine sipping a glass of wine would hurt. The other thing though is I don't think you should feel obligated to drink on a date. Order something non alcoholic if you don't want the wine. If your date questions this simply say that alcohol sometimes bothers you in some way. Or, say simply I just don't drink. Feeling obligated to drink is not necessary at all. If this date is bothered by that...we'll probably not worth a second date anyway. Don't need alcohol to have a good time although I sure enjoy the odd beer. B