Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Recurring thoughts/"seeing" clearer

[je...]

Hi All!  I've read a ton of posts on this website.  I am wondering if folks out there have recurring/dwelling thoughts because of SEEING relationships and situations more clearly than while on Valium.  I am getting down to the wire to jump and while I sometimes feel a little unclear in the brain, there are other times I get fixated on negative issues when I feel mentally "clearer".  Fortunately, none of the thoughts have to do with self harm, paranoia, etc.  There have been references on this site to relationship issues (family and friends).  To me, some of the problems have been happening all along but now seem to be "in my face".  Any suggestions how to best cope with this problem?  I ask because some "issues" are too old to address so I need to flush them and others can't be addressed as it is not MY problem.....  Does this rumination process clear up at some point?  Thanks.

Be careful about recurring thoughts, and definitely don't take action on anything until you are absolutely sure!

When I was in the throes of dependence and withdrawal, I began to obsess about certain things, and became quite wound up about them. I was just sure that I was "seeing things clearly", and it was making me very mad. At some point I saw a post on this forum that opened my eyes to the possibility of this being withdrawal related. It certainly wasn't comfortable!

Later on, in retrospect, I realized that my thinking process wasn't quite as sharp or helpful as I had thought, and I was VERY thankful I didn't say or do much to stir up issues. Even now, I'm often surprised at how my thinking processes and memory is really not that great, when I don't feel handicapped in the moment.

Hi All!  I've read a ton of posts on this website.  I am wondering if folks out there have recurring/dwelling thoughts because of SEEING relationships and situations more clearly than while on Valium.  I am getting down to the wire to jump and while I sometimes feel a little unclear in the brain, there are other times I get fixated on negative issues when I feel mentally "clearer".  Fortunately, none of the thoughts have to do with self harm, paranoia, etc.  There have been references on this site to relationship issues (family and friends).  To me, some of the problems have been happening all along but now seem to be "in my face".  Any suggestions how to best cope with this problem?  I ask because some "issues" are too old to address so I need to flush them and others can't be addressed as it is not MY problem.....  Does this rumination process clear up at some point?  Thanks.

What you're going through is normal and not within your control, but it's temporary and will go away as you heal when your brain calms down and normalizes. 

I found that one thing helped me more than anything else - self distraction.  It was the only thing that helped my intrusive, unwanted morbid thoughts and extreme hypochondria. I used any distraction that worked for me, and often it was very basic - an old movie on TV, an online game, arts, crafts, household chores - anything that distracted me from my anxiety for awhile, and when that stopped working, relentlessly moved on to something else.  The effect was miraculous. Self distraction was the most valuable skill I developed during withdrawal, and I would have been in very bad shape without it.  I soon started looking forward to my favorite distractions! Doing this gave me the feeling (perhaps illusion) of control, which  was what I needed most when it seemed that everything was lost.

:smitten:

I'm really glad you brought this up jeanermouse. This has been driving me crazy lately...I think of this as intrusive thinking and I'm constantly fighting off these thoughts. I don't think of them as 'moments of clarity' because it's so intrusive and a lot of those thoughts are things I have put to bed long ago. These thoughts just keep coming back and sometimes they change. They make me very uncomfortable and my logic tells me there is no truth to them. But sometimes they seem to take over.

I really believe it will lessen over time.  ~CeCe        :therethere:

Thanks everyone!  It's good to know this is a "process" of withdrawal for me.  I take comfort in your reassurances that situations do improve and these thoughts won't keep twisting and turning.  I appreciate the "distraction" suggestion and the statement to "not do anything" to stir up old issues or start fights.  Seems like my idea of "clear thinking", really isn't!!!  On my way to work on a Christmas holiday craft!  :)  Thanks again.