Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How do you know if you are tapering TOO SLOWLY?

[Lu...]

So, as I imagine many of us on this forum are, I am trying my best to keep my life sort of together while I am going through this tapering process.  I  mean, I still have my job which allows some schedule flexibility (at least for now) and I am living on my own, but I really don't want to go through this longer than I have to--I mean the tapering process, I just want this poison out of me. 

On the other hand, I have done a taper too quickly in the past and I definitely know that can backfire.  I have consistently been tapering off the Klonopin for 5 1/2 months now, but at a fairly "gentle" amount I think? I am reducing at approx. .12 mg every 3-4 weeks (although I was able to start the taper with a .25 mg cut).  I am experiencing a lot of depression, feeling numb emotionally, mental fog, and  of course increased anxiety.  I am also having headaches, crying spells, insomnia, muscle tension & spasm, and sometimes taste changes.  I haven't been able to find an MD who has any idea what I am going through, so I am kind of on my own (MD-wise)...but I am very lucky to have a good therapist and my mom's support. 

How much should I push myself?  I know the tapering process is going to probably going to be difficult most of the time, and I just don't know how much I can tolerate before I can't work, etc.....would appreciate any feedback.  thanks so much.    :-\

P.S.

I have had significant work instability in the past, I suspect due to the myriad of health problems from staying on benzos too long (IF ONLY I had known the long term benzo implications...but I do now and I know that is what to focus on)...so if at at possible I am trying, really trying, to keep working....ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!

• 2 weeks later...
[95...]

Hi Lucy, I'm bumping this up so that someone can offer you some thoughts on your taper - sometimes threads get buried before anyone has a chance to see them!

:smitten:

[33...]

I think you should go at the speed of which you feel like you can function, if you think you can't function then I would slow it down even more. I only dropped .03mg a month, and it took me 18 months to taper .50mg, but I could function which is why I went that slow.

I hated to be on klonopin but I also wanted to keep the symptoms at the level which I could function. Since I was tapering very slowly taking tiny cuts out daily I found that down the line my symptoms were improving. especially the anxiety, intrusive thoughts which they disappeared while tapering. But I did have muscle pain, stiffness and some nerve pains. The pain slowly faded over time. I had been on klonopin for over 20 years.

Before this last taper I did the 5 percent cuts every two weeks and when I reached halfway I crashed and ended up in the ER with acute withdrawal. Had to go back up, stabilize and then did a very slow taper.

I do think that if I would have went faster I would of had a harder time.