Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Replacing Xanax with Klonopin

[Fe...]

Hello I'm a 59 year old male, have been on Xanax for 8 years, 1.5 mg per day for last three years, 1 mg prior. I have been experiencing some withdrawal or rebound anxiety for past couple years. I'm ready to switch my Xanax with the same amount of Klonopin but am concerned about Xanax withdrawal. Does anyone have any advice for me. I'm a little scared about diving into this.

Welcome to the forum!  We're glad to have you as a new member.  Are you planning to taper off benzos after you switch? 

You'll find plenty of information and support here.  Our members have gone through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to see  people who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.  For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a month or so after discontinuing the medication.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but these are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

General Taper Plans

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms in Chapter III, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Thanks for welcoming me. Yes, I do plan to wean off Klonopin with Valium. And finally get off of all Benzos. Yesterday I started by replacing with 1 mg Klonopin and .5 Xanax. I don't know what I'm doing, Dr. is no help.  I also stopped cigarettes 4 days ago. Feeling overwhelmed, would appreciate any advice on making the switch without going crazy. I think I've been going through withdrawal for the last couple of years because I wouldn't up the dose of Xanax. I was hoping maybe the Klonopin would make it a little better before I switch to Valium and start to taper, I don't know if I'm on the right track at all? Thanks

Thanks for welcoming me. Yes, I do plan to wean off Klonopin with Valium. And finally get off of all Benzos. Yesterday I started by replacing with 1 mg Klonopin and .5 Xanax. I don't know what I'm doing, Dr. is no help.  I also stopped cigarettes 4 days ago. Feeling overwhelmed, would appreciate any advice on making the switch without going crazy. I think I've been going through withdrawal for the last couple of years because I wouldn't up the dose of Xanax. I was hoping maybe the Klonopin would make it a little better before I switch to Valium and start to taper, I don't know if I'm on the right track at all? Thanks

Maybe you should wait to quit smoking.. or quit smoking first.  I don't really know since I have never smoked, but it seems like it would make things harder....

Welcome Fender Bender- like you I was on xanax 1.5 mg a day for many years- and like you I began my taper at age 59. I am 60 now. I tapered directly off the xanax without crossing over to klonopin or valium so I can't help you with that part. I can tell you though that even at our age getting off xanax can be done and it is  so worth it to be free of benzos! Best of luck!

Hi. I agree wIth GeorgeVI. It is hard to give up smoking and your body is coping with giving up benzos, which many people say are harder to come off than heroin. So give yourself a break and carry on smoking. You will have lots of time to come off cigarettes when you've given up the benzos.

If you try to give up both at once, you will probably end up giving up neither of them. Be kind to yourself.

Thanks for your support! I think I'll be OK with stopping cigarettes, I was already down to smoking just 2-3 cigs/day so it hasn't been too bad. My main problem was I was taking one whole mg of Xanax at night to go to sleep and .5 mg @ 3 AM when I would wake up. I know now I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms the following day, felt horrible depression and anxiety. This went on for four or five years, Doctor didn't know enough to help or suggest something that would stay in my body longer. I will say today I have felt better than in a long time with the Klonopin.  My goal is to wean off Klonopin with Valium and then off Benzos entirely. It may take me a while. Had I found Benzobuddies sooner I may have just gone directly to Valium, but once again my Doc hadn't a clue. I read somewhere else where it was best to switch to Klonopin first. I feel better right now so will keep doing this for a time until I'm switched over. I hope I'm not making a mistake, or making it harder to wean off by switching to the Klonopin before Valium.  Thanks for your help, it gives me hope to read your stories and to have an action plan in tapering down.

It's been three days of my crossover, .5 Xanax and 1 mg Klonopin 1st day, alternating that every day. So far I don't feel much different than when I was just on Xanax.  Does anyone know if Valium would help me stabilize better than Klonopin? I would like to feel closer to normal before I begin a taper.

Thanks

No shit, my beautiful hound dog Cinnamon, who was an emotional support, loved for over 6 six yrs... just took off for no reason. Ran through the radio fence. Drove all over looking for her. (no name tag)Pretty rough couple days. Hanging in there, my wife is amazing. I am thankful for her support. Took a whole Xanax and whole Klonopin for a couple days and feeling upset for upping my dosage. Got to drop it back to 1.5 mg but still don't know how to successfully do this crossover. Or if I should be crossing over. But I can sleep better with Klonopin and no convulsive shakes in the morning like I had with only Xanax.

No shit, my beautiful hound dog Cinnamon, who was an emotional support, loved for over 6 six yrs... just took off for no reason. Ran through the radio fence. Drove all over looking for her. (no name tag)Pretty rough couple days. Hanging in there, my wife is amazing. I am thankful for her support. Took a whole Xanax and whole Klonopin for a couple days and feeling upset for upping my dosage. Got to drop it back to 1.5 mg but still don't know how to successfully do this crossover. Or if I should be crossing over. But I can sleep better with Klonopin and no convulsive shakes in the morning like I had with only Xanax.

I'm so sorry to hear about Cinnamon!! Our dogs are such a part of our lives and our families.  Your wife sounds wonderful, I'm glad you have someone to support you during this process, which for some of us, can be challenging.

My crossover was very rough so I would suggest you post on the Substitution Board where others can give you some good advice about a plan.

Substitution Taper Plans   

pianogirl  :smitten: