Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Switching to Klonopin after 30 years of Xanax - almost had heart attack

[gm...]

I posted about this on my introduction, but this probably should have been posted here....I apologize if I am violating any etiquette by reiterating this info, here.  I'm 64 and had been on Xanax for exactly 30 years.  My doctor gave me 6 weeks to get completely off Xanax and switch to Klonopin.  I asked him if this wouldn't kill me - it sounded way too fast.  He just shrugged his shoulders and told me the the government would not allow him to write any more Xanax for anyone.  I wasn't feeling any anxiety and thought I was doing alright.      A few weeks ago I mixed and poured 800-pounds of concrete by hand (and a month earlier, mixed and poured about 1200 pounds of concrete).  I felt fine, then.  Then, about 11 days ago (about the time I had completely run out of all Xanax), I started having a fluttery feeling in my chest, and, some pressure.  I have never had any heart problems.  Well, I ended up going to the hospital and an enzyme called triponon was really elevated - and going up....this usually mean you're having a heart attack.  It turns out that I did not have a heart attack but I do have some minor damage to the right ventricle of my heart.  The staff at the hospital - and my new cardiologist - strongly suspect that this is the result of being taken off of Xanax too fast.  After 3 days of hospital rest, blood thinners, etc., I feel much better.  My advice: if you've been on any benzo for a long time and your doctor's plan for weaning/switching sounds a bit too aggressive, get a second opinion.  I think this crap almost cost me my life.....  They gave me a two-week supply of Xanax.  What a mess.

how much X, update your profile. i would switch docs asap. and 6 weeks is essentially cold turkey. this will throw you most likely into hell. you looking at a long and slow taper