Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How to deal with a not so nice doctor suggestions?

[re...]

This all began with my original doctor of ten years.....I walked out of her office the day I found out the truth of benzos and the truth of how long I had been on them.I felt ultimatley betrayed and lost all faith in her.I moved on to another doctor and have been treated horribly ever since.....I don't know how my insurance will act if I switch to yet another doctor.....oh brother I wonder if I will be the "the problem patient"                                      Reindeer :-\

I've been a problem patient too.

It's really great that you walked out on her. We do feel a betrayal and loss of faith in doctors. I find it difficult to be kind to even the NP I'm seeing now. I like her very much. But I find it hard to trust any of them. I'm always looking to see what is behind their words. This, I think, is a natural fallout from what we've gone through. We have to protect ourselves now.

As to how to deal with a not-so-nice doctor, I'm afraid I don't have the answers. I just keep changing doctors!!

Terry thankyou so much for answering,I have been a wreck for a while I went through withdrawals alone with no support from family or friends until bbs'.. at 65 and isolated well it aint  easy.should I contact an advocate?Have never been is this situation before so I am not sure what to do next......Thankyou again Terry :-\    Reindeer

Yes, I'm 64 and am having difficulty feeling heard. My son is helping, but he has yet to read any literature on the subject. I really don't have friends, just acquaintances. Who could understand the up-and-down nature of this?

You might see what an advocate would tell you. I don't know. I have not done that myself. You might ask that as a question. Others, I'm sure, have done that.

You are not alone here. There are so many people going through the same thing. I come to BB often, at least feeling validated here!!

But doctors? They change very slowly. They look at outward appearance and blood tests and it seems make their determination from that as to what we have. They don't want to believe that a drug they have prescribed could actually hurt people for a very long time.

Some people have written letters to their doctors, telling them what they've gone through. This topic can't be pushed under the carpet. I'm planning on writing to the person who prescribed me Ativan, but I'm not ready yet.

I hope you get a solution!!

Terry Thanks again for answering I somehow feel comforted by your replies, I still havent made up my mind about an advocate,dont want to sound paranoid but honestly this experiance has left me very "roughed up" and have a problem with my faith in anyone in the field of medicine.Bless your sons heart he is probably dealing the best way he can.As far as friends go I had a few before this and now none accept for one of 40 years.She knows nothing about benzos but she tries.I too come to BBs often this is my go to place at three in the am.I too feel validated here. Beautiful precious tortured souls.I wish I could hold them all in my arms and make us all whole again.                      ThankyouTerry for your kind support                                                        Reindeer :smitten:

A confident, experienced, knowledgeable doctor will not consider you a "problem" patient.  Only insecure, incompetent doctors play the "problem patient" game.  Your task is to find a quality doctor.  Not to worry, they are out there.  But when you find one, be clear about things.  Tell them your history and tell them exactly why you fired your doctor.

I'd sure like to find a good doc and click right away...it's tiring and expensive trying to find one that is respectful and actually listens. Sometimes I think they are borderline abusive in the way I'm treated!

I like the advice from PB...let the new one know why you fired your last one!!

Yes Ce Ce too Borderline abusive is exactly what it is!I too like PBs advice my problem is I get too emotional trying to explain and they react in a negative way............Thank you  for responding oh PhotoBug We have a horrible shortage of doctors in this area and the ones we do have are the bottom of the barrell.Northern Ca is no place to get sick. I will try to look at other communities .Thankyou                                                  Reindeer

[1e...]
Reindeer 50; Have you tried an "Integrative Care" doctor?  This doctor would know specifically how to get patients off Benzodiazepines, and will help you to get your insurance to pay for a rehab if that is what you need. I go to clinic type setting with three members of a team; they function as a team. They all know what I'm going through: what I have done is asked specifically for a team approach. And they did it! And, I told them never to give me a prescription for benzodiazepines again. Also,I gave them a firm no to antidepressants. I  respect myself (addict to Xanax...over the addiction part (8 months)  and they know me much better. I could be open and honest with all three of them, while in the withdrawal, and this stage now, thinking it's over. Thee's no hidden anything; and they really saved me. I am very grateful for them,and I am glad I asked for what I needed. Peace. Karuna

Karuna, thankyou for responding,I havent had a benzo since May what I am struggeling with now are lingering symptoms of withdrawel sometimes very unnerving.And this new doctor is very dismissive in fact his whole practice is full of arrogant  hands down mean people.So going there is very stressfull and I dont think going there again is an option. thankyou for the  suggestions.    Reindeer

Reindeer 50; Have you tried an "Integrative Care" doctor?  This doctor would know specifically how to get patients off Benzodiazepines, and will help you to get your insurance to pay for a rehab if that is what you need. I go to clinic type setting with three members of a team; they function as a team. They all know what I'm going through: what I have done is asked specifically for a team approach. And they did it! And, I told them never to give me a prescription for benzodiazepines again. Also,I gave them a firm no to antidepressants. I  respect myself (addict to Xanax...over the addiction part (8 months)  and they know me much better. I could be open and honest with all three of them, while in the withdrawal, and this stage now, thinking it's over. Thee's no hidden anything; and they really saved me. I am very grateful for them,and I am glad I asked for what I needed. Peace. Karuna

Yep.  Integrative medicine is the way to go.  These are doctors who "get it."  But they are a little hard to find.  Hope this changes big-time.

There are these types of Doctors  not too far away in the Bay area so I am kind of waiting do a little more research  the issue is I no longer take Benzos or anything for that matter  so no one knows what to do with me.lol I know that sounds odd but thats the message I am getting.Thankyou all for responding.You guys are awesome ::)