Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Does sleep eventually improve?

[8d...]

Aloha, how you doing these days. The insomnia is still kicking my ass. Can't hardly break out of this one day on one day off pattern. I've just hit 3 weeks from this setback. I have a lot of what you mentioned. My wife will hear me snore, but I have no recollection of sleeping. I feel like I've been awake the whole time. She even recorded me once at night in bed to prove it, because I just couldn't believe it. I guess it's so short that it seem so like it didn't happen. I guess it just professes past stage 1 sleep.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Si...]

• [wo...]

• [sl...]

• [ve...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I'm in a bad place at the moment with regard to sleep. It's just not happening at the moment for me. I went through 18 months of virtually 1/2 hour sleep a night. Anyway after getting off the benzos little by little my sleep began to return. Where I was getting 4/5 hrs per night. I was delighted with this however the last three weeks it started to drop off and now I'm back to three days a week without a minutes sleep at that point I have had to take nytol just to get through. This broke the cycle and then I began to sleep without medication again. But after a few days I stopped sleeping again.

What should I do should I leave it and wait and see what happens or continue to use the nytol sleep is just not coming for me. I weaned off mirtazapine six months ago could it have something to do with that. Although I never really got any sleep with it could it be some delayed reaction. I weaned off benzos exactly two years ago. I'm desperate to sleep. But when I was sleeping I felt completely back to my old self. Is this just another bump along this horrible road and will it improve. It scares me to think I could go through all this sleeplessness again.

How long can we go without sleep. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Frank

Nytol = diphenhydramine

Madfrank, are you still on Prozac? In some cases this drug can go paradoxical and actually inhibit sleep, so something to consider. The problem with the OTC stuff, as you have seen, is that it eventually quits working. It can also go paradoxical, and also can cause rebound insomnia the next night. That it why I try very hard to avoid OTC stuff, and other sleep meds, as there is always a price to pay for pushing sleep on your body. If you can without any "help" you will heal faster. But I understand that things can get intolerable.

Do you have scrupulous sleep hygeine? avoid caffeine and other stimulants, alcohol? avoid computer at night? Our bodies are so sensitive at this point.

Thanks meowie

I finished the Prozac in about Feb 2016. I am medication free. I thought I'd seen the worst of the insomnia when I started sleeping every night some months ago. Although it was only a couple of hours at first it increased to average about 4/5 hrs most nights. But in the last three weeks I started getting breaks of two days were I didn't sleep a minute. On the third day I would take the nytol and then my sleep would return for a few days. Now I'm on the third run of no sleep for three days I took the nytol and it didn't work. So I took nytol again last night and had four hours sleep. I don't want to take it but was desperate by three days without sleep. Don know what will happen tonight.

Should I just grin and bear it and throw the nytol away. How long can your body stay awake without sleep what will happen.

What about valerian would that help or hinder me. I was feeling so good at the beginning of the week.

Sorry to hear about your sleep problems frank. I have it in spades also. I was sleeping great all last year until I stupidly drank a bunch of beer at a Christmas party. You haven't had alcohol have you? Does the Nytol contain alcohol?

Should I just grin and bear it and throw the nytol away. How long can your body stay awake without sleep what will happen.

What about valerian would that help or hinder me. I was feeling so good at the beginning of the week.

That's a tough one. I guess I wouldn't throw the nytol if it seems to help sometimes. Many of us have found that it works best when not in an "acute" insomnia crisis. I know what you mean about doing well and then it all goes to crap....I had a very bad night last night due to pain (1 hour?). Sometimes we don't think we sleep, but others around us will point out that we do, so keep that in mind. I don't know of anyone who has posted here that has died yet...  :sick: eventually you will sleep if you don't impede it.

Hi meowie

Didn't take anything last night and to my surprise slept about five hours albeit broken sleep but I'm not complaining. I wonder if I've broke this bad spell of no sleep. Over the Christmas period I'd decided to have a few drinks because I'd been feeling better. I'm wondering if this has had an effect because this is the first time I'd drank beer in 3 years. Probably drank a bit too much. But would this effect me a few weeks later I don't know. Because prior to this I had slept every night without going days of no sleep.  It was mostly only 4/5 hrs broken sleep but I could cope with that. I know some people would love to get that amount of sleep because when I look back at when I was only getting half an hour per night and mostly none at all. I would be so jealous of people getting. So it does improve but just slowly.  Hopefully we'll all be sleeping like baby's soon enough. 

Good luck everyone.

Frank.

can u tell me how bad your sleep got and how long it took before you started to get some improvement? i was only on benzo's for 12 weeks, down to 2mg of valium but sleep has become sooo bad. hava read of my recent posts. i am desperate for encouragement right now :(

YES! A very resounding yes!

I asked this question a long while back, when the insomnia caused by withdrawal had me thinking I would go insane. I couldn't possibly imagine a time where things would get better, as it just seemed so hopeless. I didn't get a lot of responses to my question, and that left me feeling even more scared.

But I'm here, 29 months after quitting benzos and z-drugs (that I had only been on for a few months) to tell you that you will get your life back. Not only your sleep, but your sense of self.

I used to break down and cry to my wife and tell her I just wanted to go home... I used this an a metaphor for feeling like myself again. I really don't know how I made it through some of those days, but I did. I knew I had to keep fighting, even though the prospect of a better life wasn't assured to me.

I became obsessed with certain lifestyle changes and rituals to ensure nothing would disrupt my sleep. I was afraid to eat certain things, stay out past certain times, or even travel because it would take me out of my comfort zone.

And now, I drink coffee in the day, eat pretty much anything and anytime I want (though this is not a good thing!) and I travel and enjoy life with my family. We actually just went away for a few days to NYC, and despite all the noise, I still slept and had a great time.

My sleep is not perfect, though I don't know it ever was even before drugs, but I'm now at a place where I do not let it dictate my life. I have complete confidence that I will get enough sleep and it will not be something that destroys me.

I just wanted to share this because I know at one point, if someone told me this would be me, I would have never believed them!

Stay strong and be well everyone :)

Hi meowie

Didn't take anything last night and to my surprise slept about five hours albeit broken sleep but I'm not complaining. I wonder if I've broke this bad spell of no sleep. Over the Christmas period I'd decided to have a few drinks because I'd been feeling better. I'm wondering if this has had an effect because this is the first time I'd drank beer in 3 years. Probably drank a bit too much. But would this effect me a few weeks later I don't know. Because prior to this I had slept every night without going days of no sleep.  It was mostly only 4/5 hrs broken sleep but I could cope with that. I know some people would love to get that amount of sleep because when I look back at when I was only getting half an hour per night and mostly none at all. I would be so jealous of people getting. So it does improve but just slowly.  Hopefully we'll all be sleeping like baby's soon enough. 

Good luck everyone.

Frank.

Great to hear you got some sleep last night Madfrank! Yes, I do think alcohol can really mess up our systems as we are in such a fragile state. 4 to 5 hours is not great, but I agree that it is totally livable, and a lot more than some are getting.

1966: I was also only on this junk for a few months, and getting off of it almost killed me.

I can assure you that once you're done with the pills, your mind will recover with time. You have to be patient and kind with yourself, and it will happen. I'm living proof, as are loads of people on this site!

Stay strong :)

thanks but i don't suppose you can provide some more details?

eg. can you say:

1. how severe your insomnia got when withdrawing

2. how you coped - meds you used

3. how long it took to get some improvement

I am feeling rather hopeless atm would really love some encouragement (as i am sure others would)

feel free to pm me :)

luv and hugs from down under

XOX

1966: I was also only on this junk for a few months, and getting off of it almost killed me.

I can assure you that once you're done with the pills, your mind will recover with time. You have to be patient and kind with yourself, and it will happen. I'm living proof, as are loads of people on this site!

Stay strong :)

Hi 1966!

Yes, it does get better! I'm a short term user too.

In May I was just like you, with all the withdrawal symptoms thrown in because I stop started, then totally stopped, no meds. I'm still trying to write up the details as a recovery story, but I'll pm the draft version. It got better month by month, and by November I felt pretty much ok. My sleep is still broken into separate sleep cycles, but I don't mind that, I know it's getting enough of those cycles that counts. (Thanks to the book you recommended by Dr Guy Meadows).

I get the occasional bad night now, but it feels different - I know if I relax, I'll drift off again.

You'll probably do better tonight  :) xxx

After about a month of using them with good results, the pills started to backfire on me. It started with me waking up way earlier than I wanted or needed to. And then it started to give me trouble getting to sleep, and also waking early. From that, it went from one night zero sleep, to the next night hardly enough. And then it just kept getting worse. I started doubling up on different benzos looking for relief, and had doctors prescribe me just about everything you can use for sleep. Eventually I C/T'd, and was able to get a little sleep using Seroquel. But that didn't work well or for long, so I started having many missed nights of sleep, along with unbelievable anxiety and depression. I was considering ending it all at one point (glad I didn't!!!). And then one day, it just started getting better. Everything slowly started fading, and life as I once remembered and enjoyed was slowly coming back.

See above.

I really don't even recall at this point. I know the first 3 months were hell. I have night sweats and skin burning, GI issues, tinnitus, sensitivity to sound, and a bunch of other things. At around 9 months, I think I started getting my life back. I'm now at about 2.5 years, and even though I still think my sleep has some issues form the pills, it doesn't stop me from enjoying my life.

thank you damien for providing that detail and your support - much appreciated atm as i am feeling quite hopeless  :smitten:

After about a month of using them with good results, the pills started to backfire on me. It started with me waking up way earlier than I wanted or needed to. And then it started to give me trouble getting to sleep, and also waking early. From that, it went from one night zero sleep, to the next night hardly enough. And then it just kept getting worse. I started doubling up on different benzos looking for relief, and had doctors prescribe me just about everything you can use for sleep. Eventually I C/T'd, and was able to get a little sleep using Seroquel. But that didn't work well or for long, so I started having many missed nights of sleep, along with unbelievable anxiety and depression. I was considering ending it all at one point (glad I didn't!!!). And then one day, it just started getting better. Everything slowly started fading, and life as I once remembered and enjoyed was slowly coming back.

See above.

I really don't even recall at this point. I know the first 3 months were hell. I have night sweats and skin burning, GI issues, tinnitus, sensitivity to sound, and a bunch of other things. At around 9 months, I think I started getting my life back. I'm now at about 2.5 years, and even though I still think my sleep has some issues form the pills, it doesn't stop me from enjoying my life.

Hi 1966, here's my summary from my diary, in case it helps others too:-

For this, red = less than 2 hrs, orange = 2-4 hrs, yellow = 4-5 hrs, green = 5-6 hrs, blue = 7+

May - too ill to record anything. Awful withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, terrified, GI issues, diarrhea, hand tremors, unable to walk, whole body shaking, hypersensitivity to sound and light, couldn't function, 2 hours average max per night. No meds helped.

June - some short windows, but still no detailed info. Withdrawal symptoms backing off.

July - 3 red nights, 7 orange, 6 yellow, 15 green

Aug - 5 red, 3 orange, 8 yellow, 8 green, 7 blue

Sep - 3 red, 6 orange, 6 yellow, 7 green, 7 blue

Oct - 4 red, 7 orange, 1 yellow, 11 green, 8 blue

Nov - 3 red, 1 orange, 4 yellow, 10 green, 12 blue

Dec - 2 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, 8 green, 19 blue

I hope this helps show how mine is improving after short term low dosage, and virtual c/t. Being retired obviously made it much easier for me to cope. I consider myself pretty much healed since end of October, a couple more months I should be 99%. :)

Xxx

I was doing great all last year with sleep until I drank a bunch of beer for Christmas. Now I'm back in absolute hell. Didn’t' sleep at all last night. So now I get to go through this shit again.

Really sorry to hear that Siggy.

Thanks ever so for the warning, I will keep clear of any alcohol for the foreseeable future.

Hope your sleep recovers again soon.

Really sorry to hear that Siggy.

Thanks ever so for the warning, I will keep clear of any alcohol for the foreseeable future.

Hope your sleep recovers again soon.

Thanks Queen, glad to hear you are doing better.

Thanks sleepless, I didn't sleep at all last night. I was so frustrated. I can't believe I'm in this situation again. How are you doing?

Seems very familiar -_-'  New years eve, I drank as well (2 glasses). 1st night slept 5 hours with very vivid drew. 2nd night 2 hours. Now I'm back to 7 hours a night (broken sleep in 3 or 4 parts, sometimes sleep more sometimes sleep less) can't complain. However Alcohol still a NO No for me at more tan 2 years off benzo.

Now I'm thinking what's the point to even try alcohol again… The taste does not justify the consequences. So I think I will stay sober from now on.

My best wishes of healing and future sleeping to everybody here on the Insomnia forums for this new year to come!!

Hi 1966, here's my summary from my diary, in case it helps others too:-

For this, red = less than 2 hrs, orange = 2-4 hrs, yellow = 4-5 hrs, green = 5-6 hrs, blue = 7+

May - too ill to record anything. Awful withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, terrified, GI issues, diarrhea, hand tremors, unable to walk, whole body shaking, hypersensitivity to sound and light, couldn't function, 2 hours average max per night. No meds helped.

June - some short windows, but still no detailed info. Withdrawal symptoms backing off.

July - 3 red nights, 7 orange, 6 yellow, 15 green

Aug - 5 red, 3 orange, 8 yellow, 8 green, 7 blue

Sep - 3 red, 6 orange, 6 yellow, 7 green, 7 blue

Oct - 4 red, 7 orange, 1 yellow, 11 green, 8 blue

Nov - 3 red, 1 orange, 4 yellow, 10 green, 12 blue

Dec - 2 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, 8 green, 19 blue

I hope this helps show how mine is improving after short term low dosage, and virtual c/t. Being retired obviously made it much easier for me to cope. I consider myself pretty much healed since end of October, a couple more months I should be 99%. :)

Xxx

This color coded summary is so cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!