Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax to Valium switch to detox from Benzos

[gy...]

I am struggling with my Xanax taper. My metabolism is fast.

I have been prescribed 4mg of Xanax for several years & told to try & lower it.

I can't make the 6 hours between dosages

I am currently taking 5mg a day & having panic attacks over it

Can I switch straight over from Xanax to Valium with its longer half life to give myself a fighting chance

I don't see the Gradual long term Ashton switch working for me the 1/2 life is too short

At 4 hours I can feel the withdrawals coming on

At 6 hours between dosages I'm in withdrawal constantly

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx & God Bless

Jim

You can do it but your body will withdraw from the xanax so it may be a bit bumpy. That's why Ashton does it in stages. Best of luck with the taper! :)--V

It lasts up to 12 hours.  Maybe it would help with withdrawal if your doctor switched you to the same dosage but XR.  I don't know if it would help but it seems that it should.  I took XR for years - dosing 4x per day.  It doesn't come below .5mg so I had to switch to regular release to taper below 1mg.  This took some time to adjust to.

Some people can do a straight switch. Its is said that diazepam needs time to build up, but up to a point that also depends on equivalencies.