Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My intro and benzo history

[Jo...]

Hi,

I've been on valium 5mg x 3 a day for about 10 years.  Looking to get help/support here and offer anything back that I can too.

I started a taper and the first few cuts to get to 13mg per day have been in one month.  That said, learning what I have so far about how rough it can get I plan on doing a super slow taper at least when I get to 10mg to try to support myself as long as possible and maybe build up some savings in case it gets really rough.  Not expecting the worst, just planning for it.

Thanks for having me.

-Joshua

Hello Joshua Tree,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Congratulations on deciding to come off valium after pretty long term use. I see you have reduced already by 2 mg, that is a fast reduction in one month. I think you are being very smart in deciding to implement a slow taper.  Many people can withdraw from benzos with few serious issues but it's best to make the process easier on the central nervous system with gradual tapering.

A slow taper can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

You've come to the right place for support and encouragement as you work towards being benzo free. In my opinion, it is well worth the effort. We also look forward to your contributions to the forum.  Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

pianogirl  :)