Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Physician speaks on her own benzodiazepine experience

[Ms...]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [La...]

• [Gr...]

• [so...]

This is a very powerful statement and hopefully coming from a physician will carry more weight with the medical community.

Thanks for posting this.

pianogirl

wow that was a meaningful statement by a physician who is also an unwitting  victim of benzos...if it can happen to an educated doctor like her  - it can happen to anyone- benzos are scary to say the least!

Very interesting. She had to learn from personal experience and internet research what these drugs are truly capable of. Imagine that, a licensed physician has to turn to the internet to diagnose herself due to another doctor who blames it all on anxiety and tries to fix the problem with more drugs. Chalk one up for the power of alternative information  :)

She also validates the level of suffering that these drugs can cause "It’s interesting that cancer has been nothing compared to the horror of withdrawals." A doctor who is also a cancer survivor puts it into perspective. Nice.

I bristle when I hear the term addict in reference to these drugs.  I am not a person with a history of substance abuse, nor do I have a tendency towards addiction.  I am tired of putting these poison pills in my body.  But unfortunately, I am chemically dependent, and the drug that is poisoning me must be tapered slowly to keep me from becoming extremely ill.

Well said.

Thanks for speaking out, Dr. Huff, and I wish you the best in both of your recovery endeavors. Since you are a member of BB, hopefully you will read this!

Depressing that we must be validated now by doctors  - having been invalidated by them for decades.  When she recovers we can attend her conferences where she can sign copies of her book about the matter.  I hope she can parlay her unique position into something good for herself.  She deserves it.  Damned incalculable suffering.  Is this what it takes?  An M.D.'s testimony?  She's got guts to come out.  Kudos.  Hopefully more will follow.  They're out there.

Thanks everyone. I came out with my story because I obviously have a unique perspective as a physician and hopefully will be able to have some influence in the medical community. For now I'm sick with my taper and upcoming surgery so the story was all I could manage. But when I do recover, I have thought about writing a book and/or educating other physicians on the dangers of benzos. I feel like it is now my calling and responsibility to stand up for all of you that have suffered or are still suffering. I went into medicine to help others, so I can't stand by and let our voices be unheard.  I'm not the only medical professional on this site. I've met at least 2 docs, a dentist, and several nurses. None of us are immune from bad medicine unfortunately.

I could not get the link to work. Is it still working for everyone else here?

I just tried it on my iPad. It's slow to load, but it did come up. Maybe the site is having issues right now.

Wow Hope, great article. I plan to send it some people, including some family members and my doctors. You rock, Dr. Huff!

Yes please share with as many people as you like. We all need to get the word out. And you rock too, friend!!

Thanks everyone. I came out with my story because I obviously have a unique perspective as a physician and hopefully will be able to have some influence in the medical community. For now I'm sick with my taper and upcoming surgery so the story was all I could manage. But when I do recover, I have thought about writing a book and/or educating other physicians on the dangers of benzos. I feel like it is now my calling and responsibility to stand up for all of you that have suffered or are still suffering. I went into medicine to help others, so I can't stand by and let our voices be unheard.  I'm not the only medical professional on this site. I've met at least 2 docs, a dentist, and several nurses. None of us are immune from bad medicine unfortunately.

Thank you Hope, you really are a hero!!!  :smitten: :smitten:

Hope, thanks for publishing this as it validates what we are going through. It seems that some people have been so beaten up by being told that it can't be withdrawal a bit of validation and understanding goes a long way.

I wrote on one of the threads about my latest experience with my oncologist last week, he told me in front of a couple of interns that he will not prescribe benzos as they are so addictive and the fact that they work so well makes them more scary. This at least was nice to hear.

When you are better and if you further your education on the benzo problem it would be interesting the get a handle on percentages of people who are affected with dependency problems and withdrawal problems, I keep hearing it is a very low figure but you being in tune with the profession may be able to get more of a real handle on it? It may indeed be low but on the other hand it may be larger than we think and the problems are being covered up by the pharma companies?

Either way you decide to proceed I am glad that you wrote the letter and have found a community that will give you some support to finish this mind blowing taper. :thumbsup:

Hope, thanks for publishing this as it validates what we are going through. It seems that some people have been so beaten up by being told that it can't be withdrawal a bit of validation and understanding goes a long way.

I wrote on one of the threads about my latest experience with my oncologist last week, he told me in front of a couple of interns that he will not prescribe benzos as they are so addictive and the fact that they work so well makes them more scary. This at least was nice to hear.

When you are better and if you further your education on the benzo problem it would be interesting the get a handle on percentages of people who are affected with dependency problems and withdrawal problems, I keep hearing it is a very low figure but you being in tune with the profession may be able to get more of a real handle on it? It may indeed be low but on the other hand it may be larger than we think and the problems are being covered up by the pharma companies?

Either way you decide to proceed I am glad that you wrote the letter and have found a community that will give you some support to finish this mind blowing taper. :thumbsup:

I think the numbers are higher than we think, just from looking at this website alone.  When I have my brain back I will start with a good old fashioned search of the medical literature to see what has been published on this issue to date.  In my mind there just hasn't been enough outcry about the problem and awareness like with opiates. I think this will change as more people start to speak up. I'm not sure how much the pharma companies care as the benzos are all generic and cheap as dirt so they are hardly making any money from them (the newer Z drugs I'm sure are still profitable). Maybe they care more from a liability standpoint. To me it seems to be a general lack of education among docs is the major problem (me being one of them, but they we're not something I used in my cardiology practice). Anyway, once I'm better I'll do more for advocacy and education. It is good that your oncologist recognizes the dangers of these drugs. I had to save one of my breast cancer pals from temazepam just last week. She hasn't been sleeping and called up the cancer center we both go to for something to sleep. She specifically asked for something nonaddicting as she told them she has addictive tendencies. So they gave her temazepam and told her it was an old drug that had been around a long time and was safe!!! She knows the struggles I've been going through and when she found out it was a benzo, she was pretty pissed, as was I. But she's not going to take it, so there's a win right there.

[e3...]

Thank you, Dr. Huff, for speaking out and, as a Physician, going public with this important health issue.

For those of us suffering greatly from this iatrogenic illness, there needs to be someone in the Medical Community, who understands science, to educate other health care professionals and bring a fresh perspective from someone who has "been there" and continues along this journey.

While there may be others in the health care profession similarly affected, your willingness to publicly speak means so much.

On an especially tough day for me personally, I wanted to express how much I appreciate you as a Physician and as someone who understands.

May your day be filled with all the blessings you deserve.

Thanks for this article. I plan on sharing it with family and friends who are willing to listen.

I'm also, or was in the medical field. I quit several years ago because of anxiety. Or maybe it was the klonipin that took overy my life.

I also was diagnosed with malig melanoma in dec, only 5 mos after my cold turkey w/d. The numerous surgeries were nothing compared to the benzo w/d..

Hope, thank you for suggesting that you will take this further when you are able, I think this is important and have been wondering what I could do when recovered.

The reason I started thinking about it was that I have been told that time is the big factor and given enough we will all heal and get on with life. I think that is true for myself and probably for you but we are probably in a privileged position regarding our finances.

I cannot start to consider how I would go about this monumental task if I was worried about paying the rent or mortgage, or if I was worried about loosing my job. For these people time is not on their side and they may not have the luxury of coming out the other end whole.

Thank you so, so much!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The more people speaking up, the less people will be tempted to take these drugs. My sister knew what benzos could be like, as her husband was in rehab from Valium use and threatened suicide. She told me that she hoped I wouldn't get addicted. She just didn't understand the extreme potency, and neither did I. We need stronger voices, and what you wrote will serve a lot of people!!

Thank you so much for writing your open letter, Hope, and for sharing your experiences with all of us here. I will, in turn, be sharing your piece with others, including some medical professionals. As a medical doctor, your perspective gives the rest of us some insights that we would otherwise not have.

I wish you all the best with your taper and, of course, with your upcoming surgery.

Dear Sweet Hope,

Thank you so much for publishing your open letter. I got the link to work and have printed it off to read it later. My heart rejoices that you stepped up and did this - thank you dear one!!  May our Lord bless it and you beyond your wildest imaginations!

:smitten:

Thanks for your post Hope76.

You validate the problem of benzo discontinuation syndrome for those of us who do not have the credibilty  of a Physician.

Wishing speed to your healing

Thanks everybody for the shares and well wishes. I wish I could reply to you all individually but I'm having a day. But I do wish you all a speedy recovery. I posted my story for all of us.