Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Sense of smell is occasionally "off"

[je...]

I didn't readily see a thread about olfactory (smell) "halucinations".  Every once in a while, just the last few weeks now that I am less than 1.5mg Valium, I smell feather "down" (like in a good quality comforter).  This can happen in my home, outside, or in a grocery store - of which there is no feather down on site.  Only lasts 10 seconds or so.  I am assuming it's part of the taper/healing process.  Nothing TASTES weird so it's a bit interesting this happens as taste/smell are usually tied together.  Anyone else in this boat?

I didn't readily see a thread about olfactory (smell) "halucinations".  Every once in a while, just the last few weeks now that I am less than 1.5mg Valium, I smell feather "down" (like in a good quality comforter).  This can happen in my home, outside, or in a grocery store - of which there is no feather down on site.  Only lasts 10 seconds or so.  I am assuming it's part of the taper/healing process.  Nothing TASTES weird so it's a bit interesting this happens as taste/smell are usually tied together.  Anyone else in this boat?

When I was tapering too fast, my sense of taste and smell were SO sensitive. Maybe that's what's happening-not that you're tapering too fast, but that your smell is extra-sensitive.  Spices/herbs in food were way too strong, the smell of cut grass made me nauseated, etc.  My son said that one time when he had a cold his sense of taste was so sensitive that he could taste the metal of the fork when he ate.  Really weird, but it doesn't last forever.  And I've had symptoms get worse as I've gotten lower on the dose, too.