Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Constant terror and feeling od going crazy!

[Ma...]

Acknowledge the thought and then turn to anything else. My mind takes me on a horrifying journey. When it gets out of control I do anything else concrete like count backwards from 100 by 7...literally anything to turn my mind. The pain and long term suffering is maddening. The only thing that has helped me cope is to change my thought and continue to pray and wait. It is just a suggestion. Hope you feel better.

Marigold, I'm sorry  I can't master the quote button today, but what was your Chinese meditation that helped?  Or anything?

You asked me what my favorite coping tool was and to be honest, I don't have one. I feel like my mind is  just too skittish to obey anything calming or useful and that when I try to meditate it makes me worse because of  both my resistance and my awareness of the present moment always makes me feel like I don't want to be in it.  :crazy:

So frustrating.

Resisting thoughts and trying to avoid, distract, or trying to think about something else only makes the thoughts return with more power and more often. Accept the thoughts and agree with them or let them sit there and give no power. Reaction to the thoughts is key. OCD is common in withdrawal. Look up Mark Freeman on YouTube.

True. Acceptance is the key to some thoughts. If your thoughts are related with benzo withdrawal or health anxiety, having the mindfulness to sit with reoccurring thoughts, is a very powerful meditation. If your thoughts have to do with something someone said to you a year ago, well meditate, and sit with that moment and slowly resolve it. Forgiveness is big in some instances.

If your constantly ruminating over your health and benzo withdrawal, you NEED to work on acceptance. Visualizing the future, imagining yourself in a BETTER place, while accepting that it will take some time

Marigold, I'm sorry  I can't master the quote button today, but what was your Chinese meditation that helped?  Or anything?

You asked me what my favorite coping tool was and to be honest, I don't have one. I feel like my mind is  just too skittish to obey anything calming or useful and that when I try to meditate it makes me worse because of  both my resistance and my awareness of the present moment always makes me feel like I don't want to be in it.  :crazy:

So frustrating.

The meditation was Qi Gong. You are standing and moving a little bit, waving arms or so on, but not too exhausting, while breathing.

There are different types of formations / choreographies you can learn. I practice only the this one:

(sorry for that bad video it makes more fun than that lady has but I couldn't find another so fast).

You are defiantly having a coping strategy! Every human has his or her strategies,- some are good, some are bad but we learn to cope from the beginning of our life as a new-born. For example. If you are anxious you might stay at home on your sofa with a blanket and stare at the tv. Thats a strategy. It helps you survive. It doesn't feel good but its a solution your system has found.

So if you are at the beginning of that road, you can look what kind of little things you like, for me at the beginning a blanket and a hot water bottle were life-savers. So I did that more consciously as a strategy, I had one in my bag and when I was out I told myself not to worry because I would immediately return to my home and get my loved blanket.

Most people think they have to find the ONE and only strategy to cope with a specific symptom, but its more like packing a emergency suitcase for your life, with different things and with time it gets fuller and fuller and the way you combine that things - well, thats a strategy.

Thanks Marigold for your advice.I am doing Qi Gong and it helps.We all have more strategies to fight this problem of WD and there is not just one way.What helps to me do not help to you..

So frustrating.

The meditation was Qi Gong. You are standing and moving a little bit, waving arms or so on, but not too exhausting, while breathing.

There are different types of formations / choreographies you can learn. I practice only the this one:

(sorry for that bad video it makes more fun than that lady has but I couldn't find another so fast).

You are defiantly having a coping strategy! Every human has his or her strategies,- some are good, some are bad but we learn to cope from the beginning of our life as a new-born. For example. If you are anxious you might stay at home on your sofa with a blanket and stare at the tv. Thats a strategy. It helps you survive. It doesn't feel good but its a solution your system has found.

So if you are at the beginning of that road, you can look what kind of little things you like, for me at the beginning a blanket and a hot water bottle were life-savers. So I did that more consciously as a strategy, I had one in my bag and when I was out I told myself not to worry because I would immediately return to my home and get my loved blanket.

Most people think they have to find the ONE and only strategy to cope with a specific symptom, but its more like packing a emergency suitcase for your life, with different things and with time it gets fuller and fuller and the way you combine that things - well, thats a strategy.

I loved your whole post Marigold . I'm going t be 62 and have to learn all over again how to plain old cope.  Maybe it's a good thing.

This whole process forces you to turn your very self inside out and some of what shakes out isn't pretty.

I've  finally decided I need to expand my repetoire and when my son was sick, I had a shiatsu person come to the house. I called him, which is a big deal, and he's coming Monday to help and advise a Xi gung routine. Funnily enough, that would have terrified me some time ago but now, it feels like giving myself the gift of survival.

What a wonderful thread!Thankyou all...I learned from all of you.                                                          Reindeer