Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Zopiclone addiction (Sleeping tablets)

[No...]

Hi

I've been addicted to Zopiclone sleeping tablets for almost 15 years. I take 9x.7.5mg during the course of the night (very short half life).

Hello Nozopwarrior,

a

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! You are taking a very large dose of zopiclone if you indeed take 9 tablets at 7.5mg during each night.  One of the tricky things about these types of drugs is when tolerance is reached. That is when the original dose is not longer effective, requiring dosage increases.

Are you interested in tapering off zopiclone? If so, we can provide information and support for you as you go through the withdrawal process.

While not technically a benzodiazepine, Z drugs like zopiclone target the same receptors in the brain causing physical dependence.  A slow taper is suggested to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested.  I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also include a link to the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about benzo withdrawal, as well as discussions about Z drugs. It was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

It may take a while for normal sleep patterns to return, these drugs don't allow for natural sleep.  A sensible taper plan will allow your system to adjust to the reductions.

Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

pianogirl  :)