Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alcohol and Withdrawal

[Ca...]

Hello everyone,

I have posted a few times on here relating to this topic but I recently realized something and would like some further advice. Before tapering off of xanax, I could go out with friends and have a few drinks, 3-4, and wake up the next day feeling fine. Since getting off of Xanax, if I have more than 2 drinks I feel horrible for days. My hangovers are unbelievable and I don't even get a buzz:anxiety, sleeplessness, headaches, vomiting etc. (They feel a lot like withdrawal)  I am pretty far out on my taper, just about a year and a half. What I'm wondering is does this ever go away? I have decided to stop drinking entirely for one year and see how I feel. Has anyone else stopped drinking after taper? I must admit this problem is annoying but possibly it's a blessing in disguise because I know alcohol was not doing me any favors.

Thanks for your insight,

Brittany  ::)

Hi Brittney. First of all I don't drink so I cannot really give the best answer I'm sure someone else can. What I do know is that alcohol effects the GABA receptors in your brain which are the same receptors Xanax effects. I always feel like you can anything in moderation but maybe 3-4 drinks is not moderation. I have read on here that it will throw you right back into WD. Let some folks with more experience answer.

Congrats on being so far out, Brittney.  I am not as far out, but I have drank since my jump. And it was the worse thing ever. My hangover lasted days. Others have reported the same type of experiences, It just isn't a good idea.

If you can wait another year, it's probably a good idea. Otherwise limit it to between one sip and two...I'm being facetious. But really do limit it. I still like your idea of waiting a year and even then go about it cautiously. I'm not sure how it all works in our bodies, but I do know benzos reek havoc.

Be well ~CeCe      :mybuddy:

It varies from person to person. Nobody is gonna be able to say what's right for you. For me I am about 11 months off Benzos and I can now handle 3 or 4 beers without any noticeable issues but everyone is different. My advice would be to try have just 1 instead of 3 or 4 for a while and see what happens. Slowly work your way up from one if you have no issues from the 1. If even 1 causes issues given it 3 months and try again.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses. Davis1 I agree that drinking can put us back into withdrawal and maybe that is what happened? I'm not sure but I think a break is in order anyway. CeCe, I'm sorry that you got a bad hangover too. They are the worst...especially after benzos. Benzoduck, thank you for your input as well..you are lucky that you can drink without feeling sick :)

I'm hoping this will all work out. I definately feel better now than I did when I first got off of benzos so there's hope!

Have a lovely weekend  :smitten:

Brittany

I had one Bloody Mary in June. Felt great for an hour and then felt like death for two days. I ct'd in March, so having even one drink was really stupid on my part.  I was still in w/d. But it relived all symptoms for an hour. I am terrified to have a drink now. I guess my point is, drinker beware!

2 beers and was back in hell for days ...

Today i had a strong coffee because i was exhausted

One hour After coffee i was in a shop and

I looked at my face in a mirror

I did not recognize me in the mirror...

I m losing my ...mind !!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the info and the supportive feedback. I guess for the majority of us alcohol and caffeine need to be avoided. I miss coffee too but I'm currently enjoying a cup of decaf and it basically tastes the same..

Have a pleasant weekend everyone!

Brittany  :smitten:

One thing catlady is that the majority of people actually can enjoy alcohol post withdrawal. Benzo buddies represents a very small subset of the more extreme cases. My advice again is to go slow with the booze but know that majority of people can go back to normal life once the WD runs its course.

With me, I believe that mixed drinks have more of an affect on me when it comes to withdrawal symptoms. I have had wine and beer in the past and didn't notice anything abnormal. A couple of weeks ago I had one glass of Mojito and about 2 days later I had some revved up symptoms that lasted for about 4 days. I have backed off of alcoholic drinks for over a year. I look forward to when I can go have a glass of wine or mixed drink and not wonder if I will pay for it later.

Every second day I may have one or two glasses of wine and I feel ok after half an hour and generally the next morning has been easier. It suggests it somewhere in the Ashton manual but also cautious against it. I found during my taper however that anymore than two standard drinks worth of wine would backfire on me and I'd feel rubbish for a couple of days.

Oh I just properly read your post, the same thing happens to me if I have more than two drinks!! But I don't throw up from it, just the other symptoms.

I find this thread very interesting. I am a recovering alcoholic. One of the reasons I had to quit was that I was getting horrible withdrawal symptoms from the alcohol. I'd get shakes, heart palps, heavy anxiety, etc. Sound familiar?  So I quit drinking about 10 years ago.  Flash forward: The doctors put me on Ativan as a muscle relaxant because I was having gut issues from travel.  I became hooked on Ativan as a result. Now, the feelings I get as I taper down are VERY similar to those I experienced when I was quitting booze.  I'll admit though, quitting booze, and dealing with that type of withdrawal was 1,000,000X easier than dealing with tapering benzos.  No doubt in my mind that certain receptors are impacted by both booze and benzos.  I know I'll never touch a drink again 1) because I've been clean for 10 years and 2) I'd never risk having to deal with withdrawal from ANYTHING ever again.

Best,

Ed

I find this thread very interesting. I am a recovering alcoholic. One of the reasons I had to quit was that I was getting horrible withdrawal symptoms from the alcohol. I'd get shakes, heart palps, heavy anxiety, etc. Sound familiar?  So I quit drinking about 10 years ago.  Flash forward: The doctors put me on Ativan as a muscle relaxant because I was having gut issues from travel.  I became hooked on Ativan as a result. Now, the feelings I get as I taper down are VERY similar to those I experienced when I was quitting booze.  I'll admit though, quitting booze, and dealing with that type of withdrawal was 1,000,000X easier than dealing with tapering benzos.  No doubt in my mind that certain receptors are impacted by both booze and benzos.  I know I'll never touch a drink again 1) because I've been clean for 10 years and 2) I'd never risk having to deal with withdrawal from ANYTHING ever again.

Best,

Ed

Way to go Ed and congrats on 10 years. That's one helluva milestone!  Good luck with your taper...~CeCe  :)

Thanks CeCe! To be honest, I don't even think about booze any longer. Temptation is gone.  This taper has been really rough though. I'm convinced that this is so because of my history with alcohol.  I'm glad to see, as per your signature, that you're seeing some improvement. Keep hanging in there!

Best,

Ed