Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Panic attack/Anxiety - Tips & Tricks to overcome.

[Mi...]

For me the most horrible symptom of withdrawal was panic attacks, no doubt. I'm a big and strong guy, but the panic attacks didn't care, they took me out with ease. I completely lost control and sometimes literally fell over. I could handle other symptoms, like pain, i'm used to pain, being a former athlete. So that didn't bother me much. But panic attacks are so irrational and illogical, so I found myself in completely new territory. I KNEW for a fact that they weren't dangerous at all, and just irrational, but I simply couldn't help it. So for the longest time I tried everything to combat them, every suppliment out there but nothing worked, I was forced to stop watching movies and TV all together, I coulnd't even read, couldn't listen to music, nothing that would stimulate my brain in any way. Everything was a trigger, PG-13 movies scared me  :laugh:

I knew from before that certain drugs could offset the body's normal rhythm, but not that it could get this bad. I was shocked to be honest, I had studied chemistry, nutrition and biology for years, and the only thing that came close to giving this kind of result in a human was certain poisions. That's when I knew that benzo's were poison, the worst kind. 

So, I started thinking outside of the box, trying distraction methods. Everytime I felt some attack was coming I immediately got up and moved into another room. It doesn't matter what kind of room, it can be the kitchen, bedroom or bedroom. Even a balcony or shed. This actually worked for me, almost every time, it stopped the panic attack from blowing completely up. It was forcing my senes to react to a new environment, and thus my mind was distracted from the anxiety. Going outside didn't work for me.

One tip is to avoid things you know might trigger you're anxiety, it might be anything really, but from what I have experience in others and myself it's usually something to do with family/money, or film/television/news channels. So avoid these. It's not always easy to avoid, but try you're best.

Another thing that worked was going and filling a glass of cold water, add a small teaspoot of sugar and drinking it all up. This would raise my bloodsugar and sort of distract my body from having a panic attack. And now my body would associate having a panic attack with actually having a refreshing cold glass og water with yummy sugar. After a while my panic attacks sort of was killed off by my body itself, as soon as they started they were stopped. My body had started synchronizing again and sorting things out by its own.

Alot of different tea types also helped me, green tea with honey was the best combo for me. I would drink two a day.

Also rosehip tea.

I would eat alot of milk chocolate, not dark, as dark has alot of caffeine. That helped stop the attacks. Due to the release of endorphins.

Eat or drink anything that helps you, DON'T feel guilty for eating or drinking something that is considered unhealthy, if it helps you get through recovery it's ok. When recovery is over you can go back to having a strict and healthy diet.

Beef jerkey. I ate ALOT of this, it's easy to eat and doesn't force you to digest huge amounts of food. You're brain needs protein so it can relax and think, and beef jerkey has alot of protein.

Almonds and almond milk. I would snack on them all the time and drink almond smooothies everytime I felt an attack coming.

When I felt a panic attack coming I would start counting to 50. While getting up and moving into another room, and then getting a glass of sugar-water. This became my routine for a long time, and it worked for me. It might not work for everyone, but it's worth a shot I would say.

After a while, the anxiety and panic attacks stopped all together, and I was free again. Free from this poision and anxiery mind-prison.

Everyone will be healed again, it's just a matter of time. Stay focused on the task of getting recovered, no matter what it takes and what others say, just stay focused on the task at hand. Make it you're 24/7 job. The laughter and joy will come back, and replace the fear and anxiety.

So glad to hear you've over come your panic attacks. Was interesting to hear someone else describing how irrational the anxiety they faced. I also suffer with this problem for some unknown reason I have extreme anxiety almost becoming like a panic attack when I meet people I've known for years,especially out in town or in the supermarket,these I my friends that I'm shaking and having my heart racing is quite unnerving to say the least. I thought I was going a bit mad!! Looking forward to this not being a problem in the future xxx take care ❤️

So glad to hear you've over come your panic attacks. Was interesting to hear someone else describing how irrational the anxiety they faced. I also suffer with this problem for some unknown reason I have extreme anxiety almost becoming like a panic attack when I meet people I've known for years,especially out in town or in the supermarket,these I my friends that I'm shaking and having my heart racing is quite unnerving to say the least. I thought I was going a bit mad!! Looking forward to this not being a problem in the future xxx take care ❤️

Thanks!  :) I can relate to having issues going out, even a quick trips to the supermarket or talking to people. But this will return to normal, just give it time.