Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Really Good News Report

[ne...]

Benzodiazepines: No Dementia Risk?

Pauline Anderson

February 03, 2016

Contrary to previous research, a new study suggests that benzodiazepines do not to raise the risk for dementia. However, experts caution that these medications should still be avoided in older patients because of the risk for falls and confusion.

Investigators, led by Shelly Gray, PharmD, professor and vice chair, Department of Pharmacy, University of Washington School of Pharmacy, in Seattle, found that dementia risk was slightly higher in older patients who had minimal exposure to benzodiazepines over a 10-year period. Surprisingly, higher levels of exposure were not associated with more rapid cognitive decline.

Although the study does not support a causal relationship between cumulative benzodiazepine use and dementia risk, it is not a green light to change prescribing habits, said Dr Gray.

Dr Shelly Gray

"Our study suggests that benzodiazepines may not cause dementia after all, but we still advise health professionals to avoid prescribing these medications in older people because of other adverse events, such as the increased risk for confusion or delirium, falls, car accidents, and other injuries."

The study was published online February 2 in the BMJ.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/858249#vp_2 (Article)

http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i90 (Report article derived from)

Im skepticle about this. I think thats total bs. Ive seen young people with cognitive decline suffer from benzos. Who and how are they making these comparisons. The affects of benzos are not noticed until you get off of them. Sounds likd big pharma paid for the study. How can a medication thats only has. Efficacy for 2 weeks be ok for 10 days with the elderly?I know you trying to mean well but this stuff is poison and does rot the brain.

I'm certainly not suggesting we take more benzos.

I am hoping there is some validity to this and we can worry less about long term issues.

Hoping for a bright spot.