Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I did it!

[Bu...]

Hello to all of my fellow Buddies,

18 months ago my life became a living hell due to using Xanax for sleep for 12+ years. After no success in diagnosing what I was going through from my primary care physician I came across Benzo Buddies and learned what was really going on, inner-dose withdrawal and tolerance issues. From that moment on I had hope and with the help of so many here I developed a plan and I succeeded! I have been Benzo free for more than 8 months after a 6 month daily taper regime! Hallelujah!

I am back here at BB to try and pay it back and maybe help others who may be in a similar predicament that I was in. I do have a new screen name... I am so grateful for so many of you who helped to pull me back from the brink and getting me through the worst time of my life, Thank you all!

I will post a "Success Story" soon... I do hope that I can help anyone who needs it.

Peace and Love,

Wilson

Here's my success story

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=166995.0

Welcome to the forum!  We're glad to have you as a returning member.  Welcome back!

You'll find plenty of information and support here.  Our members have gone through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to see  people who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.  For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that.  One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a month or so after discontinuing the medication.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but these are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Post Withdrawal Support Board

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms in Chapter III, and there is also a section with withdrawal/taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

:smitten:

Wilson,

Given your history it sounds like your coming out of this fairly well. Congratulations man thats amazing!!

So you &your doc found BB together? Thats so great. Theres hope for some of these physicians yet! Hahaha

Im one year off and although I feel great most of the time, I'm hesitant to say 100%. Last month insomnia reared its ugly head again. It was a 2week wave. But its lifted once again and I am moving on.

I love these boards here. They are a lifeline for me and have become a sort of coping tool for my recovery. It really works out for me.

Insomnia was/is the single worst longest lingering symptom remaining that I struggle with. Other than that I feel pretty great. Kinda like a rebirth of sorts. I'm a changed person for the better after all of this.

How would you say insomnia affects you? Any similarities?

Continued health and happiness friend!

Peace and LOVE

Hope&Faith

💛💛💛💛

Wilson

Can you explain your daily taper plan? I begin soon from 10mg valium?  Thanks

Hi Magnolis,

Sure I can... Well you are at 10mg of Valium right? Are you stabilized? Still taking Temazepam also? How many times a day do you dose, just at night? Answers to these questions will really help us help you... But an answer to your question assuming 10mg starting point and dosing once a day:

For convenience daily tapers are easier with pills and a liquid method. As you get lower it will be all liquid...

So, if tapering 5% every 2 weeks that would be .50mg of the 10mg starting point. .50mg divided by 14 days would mean that you need to cut .04mg per day. This can be done by taking one 5mg pill and two 2mg pills plus the liquid equivalent of .96mg then .92mg, .88mg, 84mg etc; (5+2+2+.96)  :thumbsup:

The liquid will be mixed up in advance. I would recommend 500ml which is made form a single 5mg pill. You will need a 500ml beaker, a 100ml plastic syringe and 500+ ml mason jar for storage and shaking.

Crush up a five mg tablet really well.

Add it to 500ml of water in the beaker.

Transfer it to the mason jar.

Let it all dissolve and shake before each dose. (You may see some floating, that's okay)

When you dose take the pill portion and then draw off the right amount of liquid.

This get's easier, and just when you have it mastered you will be done!  :laugh:

Remember, 5mg of valium pill equals 500ml of liquid valium. You will be reducing by 4ml per day.

Once you get down to around 4 or 5 mg you may want to slow down the taper to maybe 2 or 3 ml per day.

Magnolis this is easier than it sounds, it just takes good planning and a daily taper schedule. I made a spreadsheet and printed it out, this helped a lot, I knew exactly what day I would jump! Something to look forward to. but if you need more of an explanation let me know and I will help you out.  :)

Here are the products that I used from Amazon:

500ml Beaker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VYXZ88/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

100ml Syringe

https://www.amazon.com/Karlling-Plastic-Hydroponics-Nutrient-Measuring/dp/B013AHTZS2/ref=pd_sbs_328_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1YATRNDXSDMSZBJ89JZ

Good luck, You can do this,  :thumbsup:

Wilson

Wilson,

Given your history it sounds like your coming out of this fairly well. Congratulations man thats amazing!!

So you &your doc found BB together? Thats so great. Theres hope for some of these physicians yet! Hahaha

Im one year off and although I feel great most of the time, I'm hesitant to say 100%. Last month insomnia reared its ugly head again. It was a 2week wave. But its lifted once again and I am moving on.

I love these boards here. They are a lifeline for me and have become a sort of coping tool for my recovery. It really works out for me.

Insomnia was/is the single worst longest lingering symptom remaining that I struggle with. Other than that I feel pretty great. Kinda like a rebirth of sorts. I'm a changed person for the better after all of this.

How would you say insomnia affects you? Any similarities?

Continued health and happiness friend!

Peace and LOVE

Hope&Faith

💛💛💛💛

Hi HopeandFaith,

Beautiful screen name, hope is the opposite of despair and without faith we're all just kidding ourselves... I'm glad to hear that you have recovered nicely and are well on your way to getting your sleep back for good.

Well not exactly, My Doctor was clueless. After I found Benzobuddies and studied the Ashton manual He and I had a powwow... I educated him and he easily understood what I was saying. He was so sorry, he apologized profusely and even had tears in his eyes. We made a plan and he helped with the crossover to valium and the different prescription sizes. He is now a huge believer and has even consulted with me on a few occasions for other patients. He no longer prescribes Benzos for more than a few weeks!  :clap:

Yes I do understand the insomnia thingy for sure. How does insomnia effect me? It was really bad when I was in withdrawal but was tolerable during my taper and post jump has been better and better. I am hoping that I will return to normal sleep at some point in my life but I am okay with what I get. I have through trial and error come up with some decent supplements and such which allow me to fall asleep fairly easily and stay asleep for the most part. But mostly I have come to understand that though I may want 8 hours of sleep I may only need 5 or 6 hours, my perspective has changed. In some ways I guess I'm lucky, I get to enjoy more of life than most people who are wasting it sleeping! Hah!  :yippee:

It doesn't effect me that much... If I get too little sleep I deal with it the next day by maybe taking a nap, but rarely. I just power through my day knowing that that night I usually have a great night sleep.

In case you are wondering a few of my supplements for sleep are: Tryptophan 500-1000mg, Bacopa Monnieri 200-400mg, Magnesium 500mg, low dose melatonin 1mg or less of a chewable works super fast.  And sometimes Relora, Theanine and inositol. I juggle these different things and I always sleep pretty well. I also use meditation and deep breathing yoga exercise for a few minutes before bedtime along with reading and prayer.  :angel: I have also learned to quiet and shut off my mind.

Well anyhow you take good care HopeandFaith, God Bless,

Wilson

• 3 weeks later...

Wilson, you are awe-inspiring. I want you to look out for me, please. Clueless MD after clueless MD put me on varying benzos when what I had was STRESS not anxiety or panic attacks or insomnia! I had a sequence of catastrophic life events that led me from 2 mg Ativan up to the present 3 mg. Xanax/day! I started a slow taper 4 weeks ago and according to the schedule I drew up it should be finished Jan 2018!

Scrambling around helping elders and children for 25 years, I had no idea what these pills really were...until the four elders died and 2 kids went to college. Sigh. Google "Xanax." FREAK OUT!

Last Thurs I left an envelope with my MDs receptionist for him with 30+ pages about tapering/withdrawal/methods. I hope he looked at it over the weekend. I see him tomorrow. Printed The Ashton Manual for him. I think time will tell if I go on a Xanax/Valium taper or stay on Xanax with liquid taper. Thanks for the amazon links.

Your MD sounds great. So I begin a long journey...keep an eye out for Duchess2564!

Wilson, you are awe-inspiring. I want you to look out for me, please. Clueless MD after clueless MD put me on varying benzos when what I had was STRESS not anxiety or panic attacks or insomnia! I had a sequence of catastrophic life events that led me from 2 mg Ativan up to the present 3 mg. Xanax/day! I started a slow taper 4 weeks ago and according to the schedule I drew up it should be finished Jan 2018!

Scrambling around helping elders and children for 25 years, I had no idea what these pills really were...until the four elders died and 2 kids went to college. Sigh. Google "Xanax." FREAK OUT!

Last Thurs I left an envelope with my MDs receptionist for him with 30+ pages about tapering/withdrawal/methods. I hope he looked at it over the weekend. I see him tomorrow. Printed The Ashton Manual for him. I think time will tell if I go on a Xanax/Valium taper or stay on Xanax with liquid taper. Thanks for the amazon links.

Your MD sounds great. So I begin a long journey...keep an eye out for Duchess2564!

Of course Dutchess, Keeping an eye out for you, PM sent!

Wilson  :angel: