Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tapering off Ativan

[Lo...]

Hi,

I am currently tapering off Ativan. I've been on it for 2 years and am having a difficult time with withdrawal symptoms. I have debilitating anxiety and panic attacks. I am also a recovering alcoholic, 97 days sober. My drug and alcohol counselor has advised me to find a forum for benzos to understand more about withdrawals and for hope that things will eventually get better if I stay off of these pills. I'm having days where it's difficult to eat, anxiety, panic, feeling sick, clenching my jaw, and psychologically tormenting thoughts. Any suggestions on how to ease any of these withdrawal symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

-Thank you

Lola

Hello Lola  :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!. 

You will receive  a lot of support here. Well done to you being 97 days sober, I know how hard that is. Benzo withdrawal symptoms are awful but its temporary. You are going to be okay, take your time, you will recover from this.  The best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms is a slow and careful taper.

The rule of thumb is to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  This can be adjusted based on how you feel.  I would suggest that you read the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by an expert in the field.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita