Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Round 2 done - finished Risperdal taper - 34 days!

[er...]

Hey All,

I just thought I'd share this news here, as this is where I feel most at home on benzo buddies..

In late August, I posted that I was about to start a taper from risperdal, and I was really worried about it.. I was feeling pretty good after almost 6 months off of clonazepam, so I figured it was time to get off of this junk which had been zapping my spirit, and doing Lord knows what to my brain. 

Risperdal is an anti-psychotic I was prescribed a few years ago, while in "tolerance withdrawal" from clonazepam, and I'd heard withdrawing from it was like withdrawing from a benzo, so I was definitely not looking forward to going to such a hellish place again!

Anyway, I'm happy to say that it wasn't actually that terrible!  For one, I'm used to feeling pretty lousy from the taper from clonazepam and discontinuance, so withdrawal is not such a terrifying, unique feeling anymore.  And secondly, I spent this summer getting into shape, by doing intense cardio exercise daily, so I think my body was much better able to handle it, this time.  (I'd tried to go c/t off of risperdal in April, and it was too much back then).

A couple of other things helped: 

- I did small cuts (.0625mg) at a time, and kept going every couple of days, as I could tolerate it.

- I was working, so I had a place to go in the mornings, and the distraction helped and also kept the DP / DR at bay..

- Most importantly, I would force myself to go to the gym after school (I work at a school), even though I'd feel like I had a low grade flu, and serious body ache.  Doing hard, cardio exercise always made me feel much better, and always got rid of the anxiety my taper was producing in my brain.

So, I'm really relieved to be done with this leg of my trip to get off of prescription drugs.  I'm 3 days off of it today, and so far, so good..

Next up, (in about another 6 months), is Round 3 (the final round!), and that will be to tackle adderall.. In the meantime, I hope to continue to heal, and improve cognitively..  I'm going to keep exercising, (they say it's like "miracle grow" for the brain..), and really start counting calories to lose about 15-20lbs that I put on from benzos and the anti-psychotic, as I'd love to get back to my optimum weight.  Hopefully, my brain will start to really come back online as well, before it gets hurt again from coming off of the adderall.. sheeshh! 

On just a side note, I recently got new health insurance, and I had to talk to some psych nurses as I still need the adderall prescription, and they were trying to get me into their system and start to see a psychiatrist, and I was like, "no thanks, I definitely don't want to see you guys!.. let me just see a GP instead!"  (can you blame me? : )

Hope all are as well as possible today! - Eric

Congratulations buddy!  :) You're kicking the benzo's ass! Now just focus on healing and the rest of you're journey, and you'll soon be back to 100% 

Eric,

That's great. Congratulations you should be very proud of yourself.  It takes determination and guts to get off these psych drugs.  Well done 😃

Congratulations buddy!  :) You're kicking the benzo's ass! Now just focus on healing and the rest of you're journey, and you'll soon be back to 100%

Hey, thanks a lot - I appreciate it, and thanks a lot for all of your encouragement on this board with your posts!  So glad you're doing well and have emerged from this ordeal with such a great attitude!!!

Eric,

That's great. Congratulations you should be very proud of yourself.  It takes determination and guts to get off these psych drugs.  Well done 😃

Thanks a lot Niners!  I appreciate your thoughts - I think you're right, it does take determination and guts to get off of these psych drugs... I so look forward to the day in the future when I'm off everything, and I pray I'll be feeling good and be sharp again, mentally!  It seems faraway now, but, God willing, that day will come for us!  Thanks again!

You are my hero!!!  So many profound changes with your lifestyle and coping mechanisms!!!

I don't think tapering off Adderall will be a major life event like the Benzo and Risperdal.  I was on Vyvanse for several months and chose that as my first taper..and I had nothing to talk about happen...and I didn't have the excellent starting place like you have in place!!

Party on and keep posting!

You are my hero!!!  So many profound changes with your lifestyle and coping mechanisms!!!

I don't think tapering off Adderall will be a major life event like the Benzo and Risperdal.  I was on Vyvanse for several months and chose that as my first taper..and I had nothing to talk about happen...and I didn't have the excellent starting place like you have in place!!

Party on and keep posting!

Thanks Choco!

I'm in my 6th day off of risperdal and I'm doing ok, but I'm starting to get hit a little more with some symptoms.. so, I'm glad I got good training on how to deal with these from benzo w/d..!  but, they are still a little disconcerting.. itchy brain, head and forehead pressure, decreased cognition, flu like feeling, and body ache like I just played a tackle football game.. oh well, "one day at a time" ..that's for sure!  Glad vyvanse wasn't bad for you to come off of!  Hopefully, it'll be the same for me when I tackle the last hurdle!  Thanks again! - Eric