Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

RIM exam in 2 weeks: scared of closed spaces...

[ra...]

HI,

I have a brain RIM in 2 weeks. I'm scared because of I am afraid of closed spaces. And I have agoraphobia ( hospital is 15 minutes from my home), bouts of extreme fatigue and afraid of having a panic attack in the RIM machine.

On the plus side nurse told me that their RIM machines are the new ones with extended space around the patient, like a scan machine.

Anyone has exoerience with the RIM machines, tips, etc.

Do you mean MRI? If so, I have had a lot of these due to cervical spine and shoulder problems. If the nurse said that there is extended space around the patient, that should help. Also, normally give you earphones and play music during the process. Yes, it can be noisy but there are breaks between each scan. 

I did have several MRI's while still in withdrawal and recovery. At this time, the withdrawal anxiety was pretty strong. I did practice deep belly breathing while being scanned. I also tried to picture myself at a very calm and serene place. I imagined a beach, laying on the warm sand and listening to the gentle waves and looking at the blue sky.

Some people have taken a Beta Blocker during procedures like this, I believe it can be helpful.

You'll be given a button to push if you need a break, the techs are pretty understanding.

Good luck,

pianogirl

Do you mean MRI?  If so, some are pretty open now and are easily tolerated. I've had a few and was scared because I heard stories that they are scary. They didn't bother me at all.  Nothing can happen in there, and you will not be fully closed in.  And they give you an emergency button that you can press and they will stop it.  You can do it. I'll be praying for you. 🙏🙏