Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What's the point in tapering?

[so...]

I see people going through just as much crap as people who have CT

I know its safer to taper but for some its no more bearable than CT. Then there's the healing some people recover quicker after cting thank people who have tapered. This is madness!

You have a point.  I read that a very slow taper maybe you wouldn't feel very many symptoms.  That's BS.  I could only make my Dr apt today by taking a rescue dose.  This is BS.  I have a family that depends on me, a lot of us do.  If they made the pill, they should make a freaking cure! Instead of getting medical help for this many of us are getting labeled as drug seekers so we are in fact afraid to ask for help.  I feel like I am groping around in the dark with a serious condition.

The only reason I am not going ct is that I already am having heart symptoms.  I'm afraid it would kill me

The  vast majority of folks who do a sensible taper will experience only moderate sxs during WD, and have few or no residual sxs after they're off.  There is a wealth of careful research showing a taper to be an effective way to discontinue benzos.

1)  Folks here on BB and other WD forums are a small subset, not representative of the general population

2)  Many folks have ongoing mental or emotional conditions unrelated to WD.

3)  Many folks are on, or discontinuing multiple meds that complicate WD.

If you really think CT is the answer, why not try it.  Maybe you'll get lucky.  ::)

I think it's just utterly shit for a lot of people whatever they do.

I was amazed when I stabilised at 3mg, up until that point, since December until August, every day was just a different degree of hell.

The longer I stay on 3 tho the more frightening the idea of cutting again gets. Which equals more time on this filth.

I think it's just utterly shit for a lot of people whatever they do.

I was amazed when I stabilised at 3mg, up until that point, since December until August, every day was just a different degree of hell.

The longer I stay on 3 tho the more frightening the idea of cutting again gets. Which equals more time on this filth.

Isn't that the truth.

I think a few days of feeling OK or not complete crap and we should make a cut otherwise we start to think about staying where we are for ever, I know I have done in the past.

Its hard to make a cut when the chances are it will hurt as this goes against human nature.

Everything about our situation is crap, I want to get off as fast as I can but don't want to hurt too much and also am afraid of increasing my chances of protracted withdrawal.

The answer is that we don't have an answer and we all must do whet we feel best for ourselves. I do know that I don't want to be on this crap though.

I doubt you're doing anything wrong. Some of us just have a harder time. If you feel c/t would be best for you try it. Personally I wouldn't but that's just me. I'd drive my husband crazier than I do now. Not to mention that it might really mess you up. I couldn't do it but maybe you'll get lucky and be ok. B

If I can't handle tapering I doubt ud handle a CT. Just wish I knew things would get easier and not harder but with each cut its gotten worse. Then I think about how long after jumping am I going to be messed up. Some people are still screwed a year out after a slow taper. Thats depressing as hell :(

I understand your line of thinking on this. You can't help but wonder why bother when you're in a bad spot on your taper. But I think if we are struggling on a taper, CT would be exponentially worse. Some people are just lucky. But the risks aren't worth it when we have the option to taper slowly.

I too am bothered by the potential of up to two years of recovery time. But for me, the key to that is thinking big picture. In the span of an entire life, a year or two is not long and in fact tends to fly by. Every new years eve I say, "Didn't we just do this?" No point in regret. Just gotta keep moving forward.

You got this. You really do. Even when it's tough. Hang in there. :smitten::thumbsup:

If I can't handle tapering I doubt ud handle a CT. Just wish I knew things would get easier and not harder but with each cut its gotten worse. Then I think about how long after jumping am I going to be messed up. Some people are still screwed a year out after a slow taper. Thats depressing as hell :(

I can't offer much solace, but just wanted you to know I'm going through the same. Hugs and healing prayers your way!  :)

It's the second one.

I was SO close to booking into a Scottish rehab in January. 15k they were asking.

It would have destroyed me. In fact I have no idea how I could have got on a plane back home. I'd have been stuck there, probably psychotic.

Even doing a fast taper 1.5mg to 0.5mg nearly killed me my heart rate gone that high.

I would bet that if i had continued on and gone CT that i would be dead right now.

I know its safer to taper but for some its no more bearable than CT. Then there's the healing some people recover quicker after cting thank people who have tapered. This is madness!

Until you have experienced a crash-and-burn CT, you're unlikely to really appreciate the difference between CT and tapering.  Also, I would point out that many of the people here who are going through a lot of crap in their tapers are not tapering wisely and are not getting the professional guidance and cooperation they need.

PhotoBugSF, I think you are correct about not understanding a C/T.

My doctor had me go from .5 to .25mg of klonopin and it was pure hell for the short time I managed to hold on, I could not think what it would be like if he made me go to zero, I have had a few days when a 10% drop has made me consider throwing the towel in, luckily I have found someone to talk to and it got better.

The worst it ever got for me early on was when they tried to cross me from k to v by just stopping the klonopin and starting the valium, this may have been close to a C/T and I only lasted a very few hours.

Look at the people who have done a C/T and pretty much all of them say don't do it

Until you have experienced a crash-and-burn CT, you're unlikely to really appreciate the difference between CT and tapering.  Also, I would point out that many of the people here who are going through a lot of crap in their tapers are not tapering wisely and are not getting the professional guidance and cooperation they need.

That's undoubtedly the case, but the addiction workers in the above videos say that even tapers they are overseeing can bring people right to the brink. And 95% of people they work closely with can't work. Some people just suffer during tapers no matter how slowly or carefully they go. Obviously the possibility of it should be minimised as much as possible.

Maybe this will help.  I've been tapering for 4 months after a FAILED Cold Turkey, here are my side effects

Tapering

Tinnitus, Benzo belly (diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain), mild headaches, mild anxiety (mornings)

Cold Turkey

Tinnitus (severe) migraines (severe) heart palpitations, blurry vision, agoraphobia, jelly legs, numbness, tingling (feet) muscle spasms, panic, suicidal thoughts, severe anxiety, insomnia, pacing, tremors, confusion, (found socks in the refrigerator) lack of appetite, sweating, skin rashes, and I'm sure a few more I can't recall.

DO NOT COLD TURKEY UNLESS YOU WANT THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF YOUR LIFE!

I feel like I must be doing something wrong but dont know what :(

You are doing fine. There are going to be symptoms, that's normal. I have had bad cuts just from taking 0.5 mg off my dose, so I know CT would be a really stupid idea for me. If a small

cut can make me so sick, how much worse would cutting my whole dose be? I don't really want to find out. Although I do admit I have the occasional day I get pissed and just want to flush them all down the toilet and be done.

I thought I would chime in and offer some insight. CT at your dose and the time you've been on it I probably wouldn't recommend. I can sense your urgency in getting it over with so make a schedule and stick to it. I suggest cutting weekly and as much as you can tolerate your symptoms before the last dose. After that just swim for the mainland through choppy water. Eventually you'll reach land.