Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Advise please - first time on Klonopin - a bit scared

[in...]

Hi.

I so appreciate what you do here.  Thank you for setting this support up for all of us.

As for me, I was taking 1.5 mg of Klonopin for about 5 months.  I started to taper 1/4 tablet each 7 days or so.  I did not wait for stabilization and had some pretty nasty side effects. 

I decided to spread the 1.5mg I was taking once a day to .5mg three times a day, which I started on Tuesday of this week, and stabilize at this dosage..then start tampering.  My psych doctor is pressing for a quick tapper and my body cannot handle this. 

I am hoping my body adjusts to the new schedule of dosing.  I am unsure what tapering schedule I am going to do when I start.  I am thinking just starting with 1/8 cuts then go from there. 

Any thoughts? 

Thank you for your support.

Tim

Sorry I cant be of much help with the taper but I thought I would just say that most people do not have the severe reactions to withdrawal that you see on this board, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you are one of them, I'm sure others will be along to help.

I think spreading the dose might really help a lot. With Klonopin I took 3X daily. Also, smaller cuts would be good. You may find you have a relatively easy taper. No need to assume the worst. B

I was on 1MG Klonopin for 4 months and my taper is going to be 4 months.  I set out to do it in two months, but listening to my body, that was too quick.  I've had minimal side effects and have been very functional which was my goal.  If I did a rapid taper I would have lost everything...my business, friends, sanity, health.  That was not an option.  It only matters we get off this stuff, and a slow taper is the best way to not lose control of your life...good luck!

I would only add that holding for two weeks between cuts with long-acting benzodiazepines like Klonopin may work better for you.  It takes that long to build up in the system and it takes that long for a cut to be fully implemented too.

I think spreading the dose might really help a lot. With Klonopin I took 3X daily. Also, smaller cuts would be good. You may find you have a relatively easy taper. No need to assume the worst. B

Benzo barb.... Do you think tapering from Klon is better and easier then Valium? Please look at my signature... I am still dealing with fallout from ativan withdrawal just trying o get some opinions...

Indigohopi..... I don't mean to hijack your thread....please forgive me....

I wish endurance and speedy healing for everone...

as people said, listen to your body. wait to get 'stable' before the next cut. for me stable means not getting worse (doesn't mean i feel awesome)

and the doc has no idea like most, and docs can't be trusted with benzo w/d unfortunetaly