Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

HOw to battle dizziness

[Ia...]

One of the things hat happened to me was vertigo which I guess started from dizziness. I busted my forehead open on the corner of my glass coffee table and got 17 stitches. I will have the scar forever. I guess it was started with dizziness and it seems like I almost would completely black out. My doctor said it was panic attacks. That wasn't the only fall I busted my head on the kitchen floor, the bathroom floor and I feel down the steps. It stopped somewhere around the 60 day mark. For me I consider that period to be when I had the acute symptoms. They did go away finally. I still have a lot of symptoms left at 10 months but the acute symptoms were the worse and they passed.

One of the things hat happened to me was vertigo which I guess started from dizziness. I busted my forehead open on the corner of my glass coffee table and got 17 stitches. I will have the scar forever. I guess it was started with dizziness and it seems like I almost would completely black out. My doctor said it was panic attacks. That wasn't the only fall I busted my head on the kitchen floor, the bathroom floor and I feel down the steps. It stopped somewhere around the 60 day mark. For me I consider that period to be when I had the acute symptoms. They did go away finally. I still have a lot of symptoms left at 10 months but the acute symptoms were the worse and they passed.

Sorry to hear all this!! Is there anything you did that helped alleviate the dizziness? When did your dizziness start?  During taper or after?

I had dizziness with the depersonalization...  I just didn't feel like I belonged where I was and things around me were just swimming in my vision.  Someone else had mentioned something I found useful and it was to touch the things around you.  Touch them and notice the color, the texture, the smell, and bring yourself back into your surroundings by focusing on things and really looking at them, like toddlers do when they check out a new toy.  Also, I lost my balance and it helped to stand in a safe place, where I could reach each wall with my hands, and practice standing on one foot, count to 10, and then stand on the other foot.  I'm not saying to lift your other leg up real high or anything and be ready to catch yourself if you falter.  But, I think that there's a real thing to the term "muscle memory".  I found it even difficult to pick up a glass from the table because I couldn't really get my arms to go where my eyes were looking.  I started playing with my balance in a safe place and think it really helped.  Just a little tidbit from what I tried to do to not feel like I wasn't connected to the things around me.  I hope you heal quickly and feel well soon.

I had dizziness with the depersonalization...  I just didn't feel like I belonged where I was and things around me were just swimming in my vision.  Someone else had mentioned something I found useful and it was to touch the things around you.  Touch them and notice the color, the texture, the smell, and bring yourself back into your surroundings by focusing on things and really looking at them, like toddlers do when they check out a new toy.  Also, I lost my balance and it helped to stand in a safe place, where I could reach each wall with my hands, and practice standing on one foot, count to 10, and then stand on the other foot.  I'm not saying to lift your other leg up real high or anything and be ready to catch yourself if you falter.  But, I think that there's a real thing to the term "muscle memory".  I found it even difficult to pick up a glass from the table because I couldn't really get my arms to go where my eyes were looking.  I started playing with my balance in a safe place and think it really helped.  Just a little tidbit from what I tried to do to not feel like I wasn't connected to the things around me.  I hope you heal quickly and feel well soon.

Thanks for the tips!

Is there anything you did that helped alleviate the dizziness?

Davis1 - No, I call it vertigo. Then nothing was alleviating it. I had for the first 60 days and then it went away on its own. I was relived when time start passing and it was not happening anymore. The day I went to the hospital and got stiches it was on January 19th. I think that was the last time it happened. I was really terrified I would fall down dead soon.

When did your dizziness start?

Davis1: It started shortly after I got home from my CT in rehab. I was going down here and going down there.

During taper or after?

Davis1: I did not taper so that may have complicated things for me.

I was getting 24/7 dizziness but now it's mostly when I walk into a store or restaurant that has lots of overheadifferent lighting. My eyes hurt and I get dizzy within minutes of walking in

Is there anything you did that helped alleviate the dizziness?

Davis1 - No, I call it vertigo. Then nothing was alleviating it. I had for the first 60 days and then it went away on its own. I was relived when time start passing and it was not happening anymore. The day I went to the hospital and got stiches it was on January 19th. I think that was the last time it happened. I was really terrified I would fall down dead soon.

When did your dizziness start?

Davis1: It started shortly after I got home from my CT in rehab. I was going down here and going down there.

During taper or after?

Davis1: I did not taper so that may have complicated things for me.

It just started for me after head pressure and DP/DR.  I do take mirtazapine for sleep so that might be making it worse.  I am 5 weeks off benzos.  Hopefully it will be short lived.  It is not vertigo just dizzy.

Hi I'm nearly 3 months off benzo and I have unsteady feeling like dizzy 24/7 it feels like Im on a boat or swaying even Im sitting, My GP said it is vertigo so Im taking betahistine, it helps a bit but not sure when it will go away. I also have tinnitus and probably it is associated with my balance.  hope will go away soon!!