Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

RE: Fatique-- Rest or exercise? Confused??

[he...]

I am still having fatigue and my doctor told me yesterday that exercise actually helps fatigue. But I also have a colonoscopy bag and I ate this morning to have energy. But mistake because I have to wait and get that mostly emptied after eathing cause it fills up and I do not want that to interfere with while working out.  This ordeal of me ending up with a colonscopy bag is a mess in itself. But I learned this morning, exercise then eat, due to my circumstances.

But to get to my questiton...??? If you are suffering from fatigue from your withdrawal, do you all out there (other bb members) have any advice on whether to take the plunge to exercise or if the fatigue is bad, to just rest. My brain is fighting tug of war on this issue.

Any advice/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated? :)

I also forgot to mention that I still feel that I still feel a bit of a cold (meaning virus type cold) in me. Important to mention. I don't want to make anything worse for me. And also the confusion of not knowing what to do is causing all of this to be quite depressing on me. I just want to feel better. That's all and like we all do.

Heather

Well no one has replied. I thought I would get some support on this. Today is the first day that my fatigue is not unbearable and I just want it to get my energy back. If my comment of my colostomy bag threw people off, that really has nothing to do with the benzo withdrawal. It just interferes with me needing to use the restroom more often after you eat. You can do anything having one of these. Maybe I should still take it easy since this is the first day I am really not feeling such unbearable fatique and I still feel a touch of a cold (virus) in my system.

But it still would be comforting to just get a few opinions from others out there? I heard to stay active as best you can but I don't want it to backfire on me and cause my fatigue to become worse.

Anyone, please feel free to comment??? I have been waiting so patiently but got nothing so far.

Heather

I am still having fatigue and my doctor told me yesterday that exercise actually helps fatigue. But I also have a colonoscopy bag and I ate this morning to have energy. But mistake because I have to wait and get that mostly emptied after eathing cause it fills up and I do not want that to interfere with while working out.  This ordeal of me ending up with a colonscopy bag is a mess in itself. But I learned this morning, exercise then eat, due to my circumstances.

But to get to my questiton...??? If you are suffering from fatigue from your withdrawal, do you all out there (other bb members) have any advice on whether to take the plunge to exercise or if the fatigue is bad, to just rest. My brain is fighting tug of war on this issue.

I also forgot to mention that I still feel that I still feel a bit of a cold (meaning virus type cold) in me. Important to mention. I don't want to make anything worse for me. And also the confusion of not knowing what to do is causing all of this to be quite depressing on me. I just want to feel better. That's all and like we all do.

Heather

Im no expert but currently going through a fairly severe benzo withdrawal.

I have been told on all other forums to exercise regularly and that it helps. By this i don't think it means go run a marathon and certainly weight training without a spotter is not advised.

But i think walking and similar light exercise helps.

Now from my training knowledge (been bodybuilding for years) i can tell you that it is not advised to do heavy exercise sessions without eating first. If you absolutely can not eat a light meal before exercise always have a high sugar drink with you.

My blood pressure has been fluctuating between extremely low and high. If you was to do a strenuous workout without eating, and your bp was already low its a good chance that you would pass out. 

Atleast check your blood pressure before work out.

I have booked a long session with my personal trainer on Monday, will keep you updated on how it goes. This probably isn't so wise after cutting my benzos by 50% but it makes me more depressed not going to the gym  :-\

I have found that exercise makes my fatigue worse. Even walking is a struggle and when I push myself, the next day my weakness is even worse. I say listen to your body. If you need to rest then rest.

Evenings are usually better for me so I take a little walk but afternoons are usually brutal. So you don't want to push yourself too much and whenever you feel less tired a walk is a good option.

HI, just saw your thread.

I've been wrestling (pun intended) with this also.

Want to exercise to strengthen the muscles but also concerned about an increase in symptoms.

So, I've opted for mostly stretching, yoga kind of stuff at home.

I am caught between feeling like I'm getting enough rest and not doing enough stuff.

Personally, I choose to steer clear of any concentrated sugars while healing.

Thanks for some advice from others. I feel my fatigue getting worse as i am just sitting here doing not much but watching TV or getting on the internet. I personally have the same feelings as the comments from benzodamaged, (thank you for that confirmation), which is listen to your own body, as I fear that if I am so fatigued and I force energy onto my body that it will just exacerbate my fatigue and its bad enough right now. I'm struggling with knowing what the right thing to do is. But since it is getting worse now as I type, I think its best to rest. I think the term, "listen to your body" is the best advice. I hope at least.

Heather

My exercise is pretty limited unless forced. I do try and fight the fatigue by doing simple chores...laundry, going up and down the stairs etc whenever possible. Sometimes though, like today, I'm in bed trying to sleep, have a cold on top of hay fever, fighting with my husband (no, not fighting...he's just being a jerk), have made a cut. With all this I'm not going to stress myself out. I'd try simple stuff if possible. It helps and it also distracts you from sxs. Frankly today my legs are jello. So do what you can. I'm not a person that can handle big workouts. For some reason strenuous exercise causes anxiety. Walking is good. Just as much as you feel you can. Listen to your body. B

I am a big advocate of walking, regardless of how you feel.  This drug is fat soluble and takes a loooong time to exit so I believe that any sustained movement is beneficial.  Move a muscle, change a thought, and my negative thinking needs a nudge.

I am a big advocate of walking, regardless of how you feel.  This drug is fat soluble and takes a loooong time to exit so I believe that any sustained movement is beneficial.  Move a muscle, change a thought, and my negative thinking needs a nudge.

Interesting you bring that up. When I do exercise, at times I try to jiggle my fat so it will break up....LOL.

It's quite a site.....YIKES! 

I can't walk very far because of my hip. Horrified I'll get too far and not get back. But I do walk a lot around the house. And even this helps. If only my benzo belly would disappear. But I'm giving up on that. Walking does relieve anxiety though as long as I find some distractions along the way. It also lifts the fatigue as well. But I sleep better at night for it. Also, getting in some sunshine revives me a bit too. I forgot about that. B

I think it is important to keep moving. We don't want our bodies to become too weak and atrophied. I don't do much, but every morning, no matter how toxic I feel, I spend about ten minutes doing stretches, leg lifts, squats and push ups. Just a few. Most evenings I try to take a walk for about 30 minutes if I'm up for it. That will diminish though as winter comes on. Stair climbing then.

Heather

Hi Heather, usually the answer to these type of questions lay somewhere in the middle. I mean if you feel terrible fatigue the day after exercise you should definitely not work out that day. Generally spoken one day on one day off works like a charm for NORMAL people. It all depends on how hard and intense your work out will be. When in benzo withdrawal you will need a few days more to refuel your muscles and body. I remember started working out again about a year after coming off and I got so tired I couldn't even get out of bed anymore. So you need to take it slowly and easy in the beginning. It puts stress on your body and you will feel it. I think running and biking is best for withdrawals and walking for sure even long distances. But don't go full throttle ...    :tickedoff:

I walk 2 miles a day, do 60 stair steps, and 200 free weight reps five days a week, regardless of fatigue or how my legs feel. I know not everyone can do this, but I'm a firm believer in doing as much as you can. Endorphins are created by exercise and it's a great help for anxiety. Funny about the jelly legs, tho. They feel weak for sure, but I never actually feel they won't hold me up. Maybe I'm lucky in that. I'm sorry for everyone who can't get out of bed. Hopefully, this suffering will ease soon.

I walk 2 miles a day, do 60 stair steps, and 200 free weight reps five days a week, regardless of fatigue or how my legs feel. I know not everyone can do this, but I'm a firm believer in doing as much as you can. Endorphins are created by exercise and it's a great help for anxiety. Funny about the jelly legs, tho. They feel weak for sure, but I never actually feel they won't hold me up. Maybe I'm lucky in that. I'm sorry for everyone who can't get out of bed. Hopefully, this suffering will ease soon.

Wow, that is fantastic. Before my final jump I was doing a lot outside. Now I want to stay inside. I hope I can get going outside again soon but cold is coming and I chill easily now.