Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Took rescue dose during withdrawal -- now I am worse than ever

[1a...]

I was withdrawing fast and couldn't take one side effect anymore -- that was the inability to eat. I took more medicine so that I could eat just one meal and I was able to eat the meal fine....But as the benzos poured back into my system, I felt tingling all over like nerves were trying to reconnect. It was the most extreme tingling, electrical feeling I have ever felt.

I fell asleep then I woke up with extreme anxiety and depression and I am crying. I am in pain as well. I am WAY worse having taken that rescue dose. I thought I would be okay again, reinstate my regular dosage from before the withdrawal, and taper off slowly...But now I find I am just reacting badly to the medicine altogether! What the h***!!!

I was withdrawing fast and couldn't take one side effect anymore -- that was the inability to eat. I took more medicine so that I could eat just one meal and I was able to eat the meal fine....But as the benzos poured back into my system, I felt tingling all over like nerves were trying to reconnect. It was the most extreme tingling, electrical feeling I have ever felt.

I fell asleep then I woke up with extreme anxiety and depression and I am crying. I am in pain as well. I am WAY worse having taken that rescue dose. I thought I would be okay again, reinstate my regular dosage from before the withdrawal, and taper off slowly...But now I find I am just reacting badly to the medicine altogether! What the h***!!! Now I am telling everyone in my life to go screw themselves and am freaking out. I am in full on destruction of my life mode.

Now this is exactly the reason why me and Belfast and most others been advising a slow steady taper instead of a 50 % taper or Cold Turkey some days ago and you said everybody's different ...

Well it is true that everyone is different. For instance, I take benzos for reasons that most people don't take them for....for physical symptoms that are unexplained -- not for psychiatric purposes. They helped me eat during a bad birth control withdrawal. They stopped my throat from closing up on me. However, the medicine was destroying the nerves in my arms and I couldn't play the piano anymore because of it. So I figured that in order to continue being a piano teacher, I needed to stop this medicine as soon as possible. Taking it destroys me; not taking it destroys me. It is all very complicated...and I can't go to my doctors about this because they have NO IDEA what is going on with me.

I am going to see my acupuncturist now...She seems to be the only one who helps during times like this. It's better than going to an emergency room or a detox facility. Ugh. One can't trust anyone during this phase in their life.

Well it is true that everyone is different. For instance, I take benzos for reasons that most people don't take them for....for physical symptoms that are unexplained -- not for psychiatric purposes. They helped me eat during a bad birth control withdrawal. They stopped my throat from closing up on me. However, the medicine was destroying the nerves in my arms and I couldn't play the piano anymore because of it. So I figured that in order to continue being a piano teacher, I needed to stop this medicine as soon as possible. Taking it destroys me; not taking it destroys me. It is all very complicated...and I can't go to my doctors about this because they have NO IDEA what is going on with me.

:)  I get it don't worry. I understand where you're coming from. You're on benzo's for other reasons than psychological ones. I can't eat a thing anymore myself if I don't take them. I need to or I won't eat anymore and I eat little enough as it is already. I've been a very good pool player and I have to tell you if the benzo's ever would have effected my game and my shooting I would have thrown them out the door instantly but they didn't and I was on and off. If they sabotage your piano play you need to do it and I fully agree with it. It's a passion.

Hmm, I might have been prescribed benzos for anxiety related problems, but I can say with complete certainty that the anxiety I experienced in WD had no relation to that problem. It was purely biochemical. And was about 1000 times greater.

rescue doses don't work, because it takes time for the drug to accumulate and start working, to have an effect you need either take super huge, or increase daily and wait couple days.

with rapid w/d you sending your brain into a shock, and a rescue dose is like a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

when I did a too large cut and w/d was too bad, I updosed slightly to the last 'good' dose, but it took 2-3weeks to stabilize (that was from 0.125K -> 0.25K)

All day I have been going back and forth about: doing this myself, or going to detox. I can't figure out what to do. I haven't heard any good stories about detox places here.

rescue doses don't work, because it takes time for the drug to accumulate and start working, to have an effect you need either take super huge, or increase daily and wait couple days.

with rapid w/d you sending your brain into a shock, and a rescue dose is like a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

when I did a too large cut and w/d was too bad, I updosed slightly to the last 'good' dose, but it took 2-3weeks to stabilize (that was from 0.125K -> 0.25K)

So did I waste my time trying to rapid withdrawal? I wonder if I should just stick with it....Taking the medicine is severely shocking to my system now. Every time I take it, I feel like I heat up over 300 degrees, I get super emotional and start crying, then i get tingling all over, and I go into system shut down mode. I am only taking rescue doses now.....I take it before I die basically.

so every time you take clonazepam you feel worse following administration?

So did I waste my time trying to rapid withdrawal? I wonder if I should just stick with it....Taking the medicine is severely shocking to my system now. Every time I take it, I feel like I heat up over 300 degrees, I get super emotional and start crying, then i get tingling all over, and I go into system shut down mode. I am only taking rescue doses now.....I take it before I die basically.

Hi Clara. When I stopped Xanax the extreme tingling in my hands stopped. Almost coincident with the stopping Xanax. Did not taper. Did not use Valium, no other drugs. I had been having the strong tingling when my playing increased; practicing alot, while using the Xanax. It was horrible, very strong, hindered my playing certain guitars at times. For times when it was very bad, I switched to practice on an "easier" practice guitar; electric with a neck like butter, easier to play. Went off Xanax completely. (now 7 3/4 month off, no drugs, no alcohol). The hand tingling is well over. I know, you can't change out a piano. I use an organic mushroom supplement for nerve and memory support. I bet the tingling will subside when you are off the drug (benzodiazepine). I feel for you, this was the lowest point I had to arrive at, thinking my hands were now ruined. I did acupuncture in all points: hands, head (memory), addiction points, etc. I also did Eastern body work alot. Naked on the table. Alot of body work. Lower abdomen, hands and Turkish Steams. One invaluable tool is the gausha. (sp?) It is a small wooden tool for self massage. It is fantastic on the arms and hands, and all over. Affects lymph and blood flow. Very healing. Shots of B-12 can help hands also. I also had extreme temperature changes: I would just think of the chills and it was as if I was in a frozen environment. The summer heat stirs my CNS negatively. Music was (is) my salvation. I use the hypersensitivity to sound and did not succumb to the nightmare of the WD. I play everyday. Please get well. I would go to  detox, rehab, whatever it takes; the best you can afford or that your insurance will provide. Don't do this alone is my advice. Love, Peace and Empathy, Karuna

Yes and no: I feel both worse and better. My system breaks down to the point of near death if I don't take it but then I take it and it makes me feel like I am going to die again  but temporarily. I get a shock wave of sensations every time I take it now. It's as if I have developed a resistance during my withdrawal...

Hi. It could be that you are getting a "shock" each time you take it now. I know when I took only 2mg of Valium recently, prescribed for claustrophobia to get in a closed MRI tube, I got immediately nauseous, and then tangibly depressed. For me, I felt horrible immediately after only 2mg, so my body/mind said NO loud and clear,right away. Even though I am still hypersensitive in ways, this reaction was so clear and obvious, and the 2 mg of Valium wrecked the day literally. I firmly believe that as the CNS has no become fragile and sensitive, it must be treated like a baby; with utmost care. My advice is to get off of the benzodiazepine as quickly as you can, and focus on alternative methods and lots of self care. Call the detox/rehabs/Alternative to Meds Center/Integrative Care Doctors. My acupuncturist in a MD, she was very helpful when I told her I was in Benzodiazepine withdrawal. Peace. Karuna

You didn't reinstate after stopping the drug ?

You're on two benzodiazepines (technicalle, positive allosteric modulators of the GABAA receptor) and soma acts on GABA in a different way, and then there is its metabolite meprobamate ...

Combinations like that tend to be unpredictable ... good luck ... often, it is advised to taper one drug at a time.

You could even try survivingantidepressants.org, there is a hidden benzo forum but they are not too keen on people who are not coming off psychiatric drugs ... but you could try. I don't like their attitude though.

I fell asleep then I woke up with extreme anxiety and depression and I am crying. I am in pain as well. I am WAY worse having taken that rescue dose. I thought I would be okay again, reinstate my regular dosage from before the withdrawal, and taper off slowly...But now I find I am just reacting badly to the medicine altogether! What the h***!!!

Clara, this has been the main reason for me too to not cut down on my day dose. If I would not take my pill during the day I wouldn't be able to eat anything and I eat little enough as it is already. If it wasn't for this problem I would only take something for sleep. But I know if I don't take the pill during the day I won't be able to eat a single bite and I take it a while before dinner. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and that my stomach locks up too when I'm off benzodiazepines and withdrawing. The problem here is I don't eat many meals during the day like most people do and therefor dinner is of the uttermost importance for me.    :(