Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alzheimers risk

[Li...]

Hi there,

So that's a cheery subject matter, isn't it? Another buddy had mentioned memory problems and I definitely can relate.  I imagine most of us can. But what I'm experiencing seems much more severe then that (which I know is bad enough already).

My former doctor (who gave me xanax like candy for 6 years and abruptly cut me, and all her benzo patients off) had warned me of the risk. So that's the one thing I am grateful to her about. 

It's a toughie because I've always had a terrible memory, pre-xanax. So it's a bit hard to judge.  But this is what I am definitely noticing...

When I'm on Xanax, even a smaller dosage, I feel confident, sharp, smart, ready to take on the world. Again, these are much smaller doses then my tolerance so it's a bit of surprise to me. I take it before work.

By noon, I'm an idiot. I'm extremely irateI say things I probably shouldn't, it's like I'm itching for a fight. And that is not my nature EVER! I despise conflict but when coming off xanax....I don't need to tell you, it's miserable. 

I'm on a scary high dosage so perhaps that's why.  I keep messing around with the dosage...trying to taper then sometimes going back up to my normal dosage. 

I know it's not the way to do it. I'm just a big, giant mess. I don't care if I'm messing up my system because my life is a mess already. Hard to get too worked up about this. 

My question to you is...should I get tested for Alzheimers? Have you?  I've been on this drug for 6 years.  I'm not young (40's) so....I don't know. My gut tells me it's destroyed my brain. 

Appreciate any insight as always. (And if anyone has messaged me, I'm so sorry. I am having a horrible time understanding how to message. I'll look in another thread to try to learn.)

Thanks again, stay well. :)

Right now you have benzo brain and any testing done would not be valid.

The really good news is, that if you stop taking the benzos, your brain will heal and you will be your own normal self again.

The bad news is, that you are going to have to start a slow taper from the benzos. This will not be pleasant and will take time. It will also take time for your brain to heal.

You really have to make right choice . We are all here to support you through this.

You need to start a taper but unless early onset Alzheimers runs in your family forget about it. It's genetically inherited at your age. You have benzo brain and worry about Alzheimers is the least of your problems. It's just plain old benzo brain. If you see a good doctor or get help here (hope you do both) you will have tons of support. Time to say goodbye to the Xanax. Slow and steady. Your brain will heal but it takes time. Surely you don't want to be on this drug forever. As I said. Lots of suggestions and support here. B

Right now you have benzo brain and any testing done would not be valid.

The really good news is, that if you stop taking the benzos, your brain will heal and you will be your own normal self again.

The bad news is, that you are going to have to start a slow taper from the benzos. This will not be pleasant and will take time. It will also take time for your brain to heal.

You really have to make right choice . We are all here to support you through this.

Benzo brain. This certainly is all new to me.  I hadn't heard that term before.  I'm so depressed, I sorta am okay going through life not remembering anything. I just feel like I'm in a crash course with some horrible fate I can't control.  Losing my parents....I'm alone, like, unfortunately, many people are. 

Xanax feels like my buddy.  I know that's wrong, I know.  I know.

I'm just feeling wrecked. 

But thank you for the insight. I'm fighting this, I am.  I'm here with you and the benzo buddies who are the best resource I know. Those who are going through it.  Nothing better.

I'm in weekly therapy, I have a mentor online, I go to a chat line that prays with me every night. I am under a doctor's care. 

And yet I still feel wrecked. Hard to stay hopeful. I'm just going on faith alone. I can't give up, none of us can.  But this is a nightmare. 

:(

You need to start a taper but unless early onset Alzheimers runs in your family forget about it. It's genetically inherited at your age. You have benzo brain and worry about Alzheimers is the least of your problems. It's just plain old benzo brain. If you see a good doctor or get help here (hope you do both) you will have tons of support. Time to say goodbye to the Xanax. Slow and steady. Your brain will heal but it takes time. Surely you don't want to be on this drug forever. As I said. Lots of suggestions and support here. B

Thank B. I had one family member so I think I can breathe a sigh of relief for now

There is that term again, benzo brain.  Thanks for your input and support.  It seems impossible right now to let go but I am doing the right things...doctor's care, counseling, etc.  I hope I can get there.

Your words encourage me.  Right when I needed it. Benzo brain.  Time to learn about that. 

'Xanax feels like my buddy.  I know that's wrong, I know.  I know.'

From that, I can only conclude that you haven't gone through bad withdrawal yet (and hopefully won't ever). Not everyone does. If you had, you wouldn't be able to see the drug as anything other than the enemy. Seriously. you can't have a taste of serious withdrawal and feel anything other than horror for these things. Again, hopefully you won't, you might be in that lucky part of the population.

• 1 month later...
i'm seeing that a lot of medications, even ones not related to pscyh or stress medications,  have also been noted to increase chances of serious encroaching neuro/cog deficit for high dose long term patients. There is so much polypharmacy involved it's really hard to protect yourself.

Early on set runs in my mother's side. Killed her and her father. She was completely incapacitated and unable to perform any function by late 50s.  i have no chance :/