Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Withdrawals before starting Taper? Will they get worse?

[At...]

So i have decided to come off Ativan and have gone from 1.5mg to 0.5mg every night. I am now on day 6 of my taper and im feeling pretty damn bad disorientation and depersonalization.

What gave me the wake up call to stop taking Lorazepam was when i taken my usual 1.5mg at night (approximately 7 days ago) and i had what i would assume was a sort of panic attack. Heart pounding, dizziness, whole body shaking and trembling to the point where i could not speak.

What do you all think this was?

On day 6 of my taper now and feel the above symptoms is this likely to get any worse or should the symptoms level out now? i felt kind of better yesterday but now feel worse today.

Cheers

What happened to you was tolerance withdrawal. Your body wanted more of the drug to give you the same results that you had been getting. I had something similar with temazapam. You, very sensibly said NO MORE, and headed in the right direction of cutting down and tapering off. The withdrawal process is not linear.It does go up and down. What we have do do is to stay with a steady long taper. and eventually we will heal. Does your Dr. know enough to help you, or are you doing this on your own ?

You must have hit tolerance so you were very smart to say no more. So slow and steady with your withdrawal. You might want to find a good doctor to help and there's tons of support here.  :thumbsup: B

What happened to you was tolerance withdrawal. Your body wanted more of the drug to give you the same results that you had been getting. I had something similar with temazapam. You, very sensibly said NO MORE, and headed in the right direction of cutting down and tapering off. The withdrawal process is not linear.It does go up and down. What we have do do is to stay with a steady long taper. and eventually we will heal. Does your Dr. know enough to help you, or are you doing this on your own ?

Thanks yes that makes perfect sense. I decided to go the aggressive approach from 1.5mg to 0.5mg and now this is day 7. Is it likely for me to get hallucinations on this taper do you think? i know its hard to say but please comment from your own experience, did you get hallucinations when withdrawing and what dosage.

Im on day 7 as said now and not had any hallucinations since taking the 0.5mg from 1.5mg.

No doctors support at the minute. I bought the Lorazepam illegally and never had a prescription. Unfortunately it seems i got legitimate Lorazepam  :(

Originally started the Lorazepam last year. Infact the Lorazepam did save my life practically as i was experiencing a huge stimulant overdose (intentional). Unfortunately i kept taking them nightly after that and been on them for the last 9 months. But im sick of them generally now, I've had trouble pronouncing words, my speech has gone really bad and i have found about a 50% decrease in overall memory and i used to have a great memory before starting them.

Cheers

edit: content

Thanks yes that makes perfect sense. I decided to go the aggressive approach from 1.5mg to 0.5mg and now this is day 7. Is it likely for me to get hallucinations on this taper do you think? i know its hard to say but please comment from your own experience, did you get hallucinations when withdrawing and what dosage.

Im on day 7 as said now and not had any hallucinations since taking the 0.5mg from 1.5mg.

No doctors support at the minute. I bought the Lorazepam illegally and never had a prescription. Unfortunately it seems i got legitimate Lorazepam  :(

Originally started the Lorazepam last year after i tried to kill myself. Infact the Lorazepam did save my life practically as i was experiencing a huge stimulant overdose (intentional). Unfortunately i kept taking them nightly after that and been on them for the last 9 months. But im sick of them generally now, I've had trouble pronouncing words, my speech has gone really bad and i have found about a 50% decrease in overall memory and i used to have a great memory before starting them.

Cheers

Ativan have terrible inter-dose withdrawal which was probably what you were experiencing, you would have been better off  splitting your does in to 4 times a day to try stabilise then cut smaller cuts, 1mg is BIG drop from 1.5mg, you wolud have been better off  cutting .5 a month or even less if that was too much . I would go back to  1.5 if I were you before it gets a lot worse, split it in to 4 doses and take them at 8 hour intervals and see if that helps you stabilise at all, it will probably take at least a week or so before you feel any difference, it maybe sooner. Then once your a more level sort out a decent rate taper your going to fast and will run into problems at this rate.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Originally started the Lorazepam last year. Infact the Lorazepam did save my life practically as i was experiencing a huge stimulant overdose (intentional). Unfortunately i kept taking them nightly after that and been on them for the last 9 months. But im sick of them generally now, I've had trouble pronouncing words, my speech has gone really bad and i have found about a 50% decrease in overall memory and i used to have a great memory before starting them.

Cheers

Ativan have terrible inter-dose withdrawal which was probably what you were experiencing, you would have been better off  splitting your does in to 4 times a day to try stabilise then cut smaller cuts, 1mg is BIG drop from 1.5mg, you wolud have been better off  cutting .5 a month or even less if that was too much . I would go back to  1.5 if I were you before it gets a lot worse, split it in to 4 doses and take them at 8 hour intervals and see if that helps you stabilise at all, it will probably take at least a week or so before you feel any difference, it maybe sooner. Then once your a more level sort out a decent rate taper your going to fast and will run into problems at this rate.

Thank you for the advice, do you think though that the withdrawal symptoms really will get worse after 7 days?

Could i go back up to say 1mg split into 2 daily dosages? would that prevent things getting worse? i really don't want to go back to 1.5mg it feels like ive wasted my time  :(

edit: content within quotes

Cheers

Thank you for the advice, do you think though that the withdrawal symptoms really will get worse after 7 days?

Could i go back up to say 1mg split into 2 daily dosages? would that prevent things getting worse? i really don't want to go back to 1.5mg it feels like ive wasted my time  :(

Yes its probably going to get worse as 9 months is quite  along time to be on them, and yes you can try 1mg split in to 2 doses , but personally due to the short life of Ativan I'd try 3 doses a day, and see how you go from there, 7 days is really nothing its no a race to get off you want to get off with as little problems as possible.

Lots of us hold the same dose for months in order to get some form of stabilisation or until we feel able to cut again, don't worry about how long you take getting off but that you are able to function  and not suffer greatly while getting off however long it takes. :)

edit: quotes

Cheers

Yes its probably going to get worse as 9 months is quite  along time to be on them, and yes you can try 1mg split in to 2 doses , but personally due to the short life of Ativan I'd try 3 doses a day, and see how you go from there, 7 days is really nothing its no a race to get off you want to get off with as little problems as possible.

Lots of us hold the same dose for months in order to get some form of stabilisation or until we feel able to cut again, don't worry about how long you take getting off but that you are able to function  and not suffer greatly while getting off however long it takes. :)

Thank you very much Nova, you have been a great help  :)

Today i do feel more disorientated and out of reality.

Im a little worried though that if i up my dose that i will feel worse? is this possible?

Like this thread for example http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=166261.0

Its got to the point now where i am scared to take them, thinking the Lorazepam will make me feel worse  :o

Side note: can benzo withdrawals affect your urine? my urine has been dark, brownish with white froth bubbling for like the last week. And its beginning to make me think something else might be wrong also!

edit: content within quotes