Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Every Time I try to quit Xanax I go back ...due to intense withdrawal

[St...]

:crazy: I was just told by my doc,  will have to go a whole week before the computer will let me refill Xanax.THis happens often, because I overtake the medicine, and now, again Withdrawals will begin, and I am sleepless just anticipating it. I tried to tell my doctor to please let me get refill, he can't.I heard Clonidine helps. Should I ask my doctor to prescribe it?Is there any other natural or prescription medication Non addictive I can take.I have been on two to three milligrams daily , on and off, for several years now.How can I quit if the withdrawals make it impossibly hard? Please anyone help me , any advice on kindling and quitting and coping methods of all kinds of things related to QUITTNG THIS MED,Thank You ,

Edit: personal info removed

You might be one who benefits from crossing over to valium as you taper off.  This is called a substitution taper. Valium is more sedating and stays in the system much longer than xanax.  A slow taper is best, no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days.

:thumbsup:

Print off the Ashton manual, work out a tapering plan using resources from the buddies here, and approach your doctor about helping you with a sensible (slow and careful) taper. Demonstrate to him that you intend to get off the benzos, so he doesn't think you are a drug seeker. Since you admit to taking the pills faster than prescribed, he is suspicious. The last thing you want is for him to yank your prescription entirely and send you into cold turkey. You need to get him on your side.

Crossing over to valium should help with the withdrawal symptoms quite a bit. Easier to wean down than Xanax.