Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New to forum, looking for help

[NW...]

I'm a relatively new benzo user, having been on 1 mg and now .75 mg of Ativan for almost six weeks now.  I'm taking one dose only at night, and have tapered to .75 during the past two weeks (and it's been rough at times). 

I'm joining the forum because I'm at a crossroads.  I don't think I can taper on 1 dose a day of Ativan (too much intra dose withdrawl), and I've been introduced to a Doctor who is proposing a quick switch to Librium and a rapid three week taper off of benzos (together with Gabapentin and Seroquel).  I'm also very open to the Ashton method of switching to Valium and tapering from there, but don't have a doctor who is currently supporting this option.

So, I welcome your knowledge and insights.  I want off of this drug soon, but want to keep my health and sanity in the process (if possible).

Look forward to chatting with you.

NW Guy

Hi NW Guy and welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Seems like a complicated plan to get off of six weeks of Ativan use, in my (non-medical) opinion.  Benzodiazepines are recommended for 2-4 weeks max, so 6 weeks, two of which have been tapering weeks, is just about the time frame to be able to do a fairly rapid taper in order to avoid deepening a dependence that may be starting already.

After six weeks of use, reasonably, I think most people might expect some insomnia and anxiety as a normal part of discontinuation, but if your symptoms are extreme then a new plan is probably a good idea.

Those are simply my opinions for what they're worth, so here are some links to start posting to the wider membership for support:

General Taper Plans 

Withdrawal Support 

You're already aware of The Ashton Manual, but here's a link to the online version as well.

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

~Challis