Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

No permanent damage (I'm living proof)

[Mi...]

One of the biggest topics when it comes to benzo usage is permanent damage to the brain. Well, I can tell you right now there is no such thing as permanent damage when it comes to benzo usage. If you do a quick google search you'll find thousands of scary articles stating that benzo's might cause permanent damage. Well, there is no scientific proof for any of those claims. There is alot of anecdotal "evidence" and alot of if, maybe, might, possibly. Everyone thinks they are an expert on the field and there are alot of hobby-doctors out there. Stringing together alot big scientific words they found somewhere on wikipedia. It's all bullshit, don't listen to that nonsense. I convinced myself i was "damaged" beacause i read all those articles and forum posts. I though i must be damaged, this is taking so long. Well, yes, it took a long time, our body has been battered and beaten. Like being run over by a truck. So it's going to take a long time, no matter who you are or how you taper.

I used and abused benzo's in all kinds of ways, for a decade.

I mixed them with ALOT of alcohol.

I mixed different benzo's together.

I used WAY WAY too much at one time

I mixed them with other types of pills

AND I tapered the wrong way.

So I should be REALLY brain damaged right? No. The fact is this, the body heals. It might feel like an eternity at times but it WILL happen. I'm not special, i'm not a superhero with healing abilities, i'm just a normal human. So if I healed so will you. That's the only proof you need, the only proof that matters. Yes there are some very rare cased where someone experienced a really powerfull seizure and ended up in a coma. But that is so rare, you're more likely to find a suitcase with a billion dollars.

That being said, there is one type of damage that does happen, psychological damage. Not in everyone, but in most. In my case I was really depressed and broken down while tapering and during my recovery. And ever after, it took me a long time to recover and get back on my feet. This is the real challenge, facing reality again. Benzo's distance us so much from reality, we're left in a haze. And when we come out of it, the entire world is on our shoulders. This is a tough ordeal, as we all know. But you'll be fine, trust me. And in the end, even stronger than before!.  :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [Be...]

• [sa...]

• [...]

Hi Milkyway :hug: Thanks you for joining up to help encourage the folks on here. Congratulations on your freedom and well being, may the greatness within you continue to bloom always :)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm glad you posted this milkyway because everyone keeps telling me it will get better but I have a hard time believing it. I feel like my brain is fried for good. How long did it take you to start thinking again? I'm glad I read this today. I really need it!

I'm glad you posted this milkyway because everyone keeps telling me it will get better but I have a hard time believing it. I feel like my brain is fried for good. How long did it take you to start thinking again? I'm glad I read this today. I really need it!

Hi Davis. It took me an entire year before i could even read and write! I had trouble thinking straight, focusing and talking. I felt "retarded". But don't worry, it all goes away, It just takes time. I took me 3 years to get completely healed. Now i'm back to normal, 100% healed, and so will you be  :) Don't worry buddy.

Hi Milkyway :hug: Thanks you for joining up to help encourage the folks on here. Congratulations on your freedom and well being, may the greatness within you continue to bloom always :)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks you Nova  :) I'm just glad I can help in any shape or form.

I hope I will get to share an encouraging post one day. I am onky feeling worse at almost 9 months than I was at 6. Did you get better and then worse and then better? How did you know you were healed? Thanks for the encouragement.

I hope I will get to share an encouraging post one day. I am onky feeling worse at almost 9 months than I was at 6. Did you get better and then worse and then better? How did you know you were healed? Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi there, alot of people get a second wave around 8 months out, that's what you're experiencing. I had the same. It didn't last that long though, 3 months or so and it wasn't as bad as the first months. After you reach the 1 year mark things will start to get good again. Just hang on in there  :)

Thank you for coming here and reassuring us that!

It's great to know there's no permanent damage, although in my case it certainly feels that way at the moment (vision is completely fucked).

Thank you for coming here and reassuring us that!

It's great to know there's no permanent damage, although in my case it certainly feels that way at the moment (vision is completely fucked).

It's my pleasure. My vision was messed up for over a year, couldn't even watch TV. This will pass by buddy, don't worry  :)

It's my pleasure. My vision was messed up for over a year, couldn't even watch TV. This will pass by buddy, don't worry  :)

Thank you again for the reassurance!

The fucked up vision is probably the worst wd sx for me (along with my oversensitized balance).

How is life without withdrawals? I presume absolutely no challenge that may pop up is nothing compared to wd.

Thank you again for the reassurance!

The fucked up vision is probably the worst wd sx for me (along with my oversensitized balance).

How is life without withdrawals? I presume absolutely no challenge that may pop up is nothing compared to wd.

You're absolutely right, life after benzo's brilliant, i'm doing things I never thought i'd ever do, even before using the benzos. When i see people cry and complain over small things i just laugh. Stuff like that doesn't even bother me a bit. You start looking at life with different eyes, and you appreciate ever day. When we taper and recover from this poison it's like we suddenly grow  35 years in only 3 years. If i could go back in time and stop myself from taking the benzo's I wouldn't, beacause iv'e learned so much about myself and life during this ordeal. It's completely changed me, for the better. I never imagined I could be this strong. All of my friends look at me with alot of respect and admiration now. It's like the benzo recovery was my trial in life, my passage to growth, maturity and humility. I'm sure you'll get there to buddy, 100%  :)

Hello Milkiway,

thank you for posting this. That gives me strength. I can cope to a lot of symptoms but always have that thought in mind "hope that hole shit will leave me some day... what if not..."

you don't have a signature so may I ask how long you were tapering and how long did it take to recover?

If you could tell me that the ringing ears some day will stop ringing - you would make my day great:-)

Marigold

i' m 8 months off and fell desperate.i'm full of symptoms

legs weakness,joint pain,dizziness, eye issues, tinnitus,morning

adrenaline rush hell in earth,toxic nap, burning skin every symptoms

from 1 month until now not let up. i think i can not recover.i can not light at the end of tunnel but today you are my the light that nourish

my mind.thank you for your kindness.and had you had any of my symptoms and which ones took how much time to feel recover again.i hope for your words for encouragement.thanks again.

my symptoms feel worse and worse i scare to be paralyzed.

my joints loose and crack all over my body i scare to be autoimmune disease which one that damage to every joints

but my joints not have arthritis but joint pain and severe crack

over my body.do you have comment about this weir symptoms.

thanks

my joints loose and crack all over my body i scare to be autoimmune disease which one that damage to every joints

thanks

Its a common symptom which is still on my side, too, - don't worry so much about it. You are having a lot of fears I think and of course I can understand this but let me tell you that you are early in WD and symptoms will get better. Really.

thanks

Hi there, I know how you feel right now, like recovery is impossible and miles away. But trust me, you'll reach the end of all this very soon. This is where you show yourself how strong you really are! You don't have any autoimmune disease, the chance of that is so small, it's not worth it even thinking about it. When i was recovering i thought i had every fucking disease on the planet. Withdrawals from this poison are that strong, it really is. So don't worry and stop reading stuff on the internet! If you really are worried about having a disease like MS, just go and have a MRI and some blood tests. I'm sure you dont have anything. It's just the benzo's messing with you. Remember to eat right, drink alot alot alot alot of water and stretch you body as much as you can every day. Ok. When this is over you'll look back and laugh at this, trust me. I wish you all the best, and remember to stop reading bullshit medical advice on the internet  :)

thanks

Hi there, I know how you feel right now, like recovery is impossible and miles away. But trust me, you'll reach the end of all this very soon. This is where you show yourself how strong you really are! You don't have any autoimmune disease, the chance of that is so small, it's not worth it even thinking about it. When i was recovering i thought i had every fucking disease on the planet. Withdrawals from this poison are that strong, it really is. So don't worry and stop reading stuff on the internet! If you really are worried about having a disease like MS, just go and have a MRI and some blood tests. I'm sure you dont have anything. It's just the benzo's messing with you. Remember to eat right, drink alot alot alot alot of water and stretch you body as much as you can every day. Ok. When this is over you'll look back and laugh at this, trust me. I wish you all the best, and remember to stop reading bullshit medical advice on the internet  :)

appreciated  .thank you very much

thanks

Its a common symptom which is still on my side, too, - don't worry so much about it. You are having a lot of fears I think and of course I can understand this but let me tell you that you are early in WD and symptoms will get better. Really.

thank you for your encouragement.hope we all recover soon

Wonderful post! Thank you! We need to hear this time to time people make it to the other side.

So happy for you!!! Good bless you to write this post is give me strength for today.

Maybe I don't have a brain demage.... Maybe my brain burning  zaping bc healing. Today I'm positive.

Thanks to you

:smitten: