Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Getting drug and alcohol counselling and it's helping!

[Ma...]

G'day buddies,

I'm almost down to 2mg valium and I feel ok. Slightly uneasy and anxious but not as bad as when I was on bigger doses.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience with a drug and alcohol counsellor.

I self referred myself to my city's drug and alcohol service because I thought they may be able to assist. Well, I was right. They understand benzo's and drugs of addiction in ways normal counsellors and doctors don't. They mainly deal with people that abuse drugs of addiction but had no problem with an accidental valium dependant person like me. I think because they help people that are in full on drug addiction states with drugs like heroin, ice and alcohol they really know what they're talking about.

The counselling was great and my counsellor is now trying to help me with other ways of coping with panic and anxiety once my taper is over. She is the first person to mention this, no other professional has - it is a great point. Anyways, I just wanted to suggest it to other buddies if your respective city's have these services. Don't worry about the stigma because there isn't any, the service in my city is fully confidential and should be in the UK and USA too I imagine. I hope everyone is doing well.

Just time for a quick reply - but, I totally agree!  I have been in AA for a long time and we get to learn a whole lot about coping mechanisms and I get a ton of support that has really seen me through some dark days.. Benzos are like alcohol in solid form..  Good for you!

Hello. I spoke with a drug counselor (runs drug rehab programs for CA) about: Xanax addiction, and she was very helpful. Addiction is not a moral issue. I find that there are alot of very valuable tools in 12-step type recovery, and most recovered addicts are very intent on finding peaceful ways to live fully and be serene. Learned invaluable practical tools. Training with slogans. I was very glad I did this, she was very kind, insightful, genuine, honest. For me labeling is sort of a secondary issue. Admitting the problem, putting the substance down with firm courage and finality (for me, Xanax), and reaching out for help is most important. Good Luck. Peace. Karuna.

Hi. I read somewhere that Xanax is alcohol in pill form... I'm very sober, so it made me look at Xanax use in the 12-step  manner; plain old fashioned Addict; and without moral judgement. I was responsible for taking it...It was very hard to not judge myself, and hard to realize this was not black and white like not doing alcohol... I learned to expand my view, and for me the Xanax affair is over. She and I had a falling out, a parting of ways, and I wrote hear a very final goodbye letter 7 1/2 months ago explaining how she is never allowed back in my house...Cursed her a few times, too.

To quote a great old jazz guitarist/teacher of mine: (speaking about performing for audience), "the only person who thinks you play better and sound better (while on drugs of any sort), is you. The rest of the audience thinks you sound like you're high".  He was very right. Peace. Karuna.