Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone tapering faster?

[so...]

I'm making an effort to taper .5 mg every 5 days. Today another cut and I've been under a lot of stress the last 2 days. Was hard with the cuts but I'm going to stick to my plan. If it gets too intense I'll slow down a bit. I think we should cut what we can handle. Unless I'm totally bedridden I'm all for getting off this Valium. I hate it. Is it easy? No. But it's not easy swallowing any dose. The sxs persist but I'm just trying hard to distract myself etc. Listen to your body. It will tell you what to do although in my opinion your brain is tricky. Often a little voice says updose. I don't listen to that little voice. Updosing once as well as long holds don't work for me. B

Initially, I tapered faster (up to 50%, hold 7 days) than recommended, but it caught up with me and became harder as I got to lower doses, so I slowed down. I never had anxiety or depression issues previously, so those weren't a major part of my withdrawals. I have "muscle issues" ... muscle pain, twitches, heart palpitations, along with fatigue. On a couple of occasions I've had insomnia, but it was probably due to sugar or caffeine (once tea and a couple of times chocolate). I also want to get off as fast as I can, but I think as you approach the jump, it is easier if you take it slow.

I'm tapering faster than recommended by the Ashton manual but slower than what my doctor has prescribed.  Right now I'm doing okay.  I do realize that as I get to lower doses it will be a much different situation, and I know I will have to slow it down. If I had 2mg tablets I would be going slower now, but I don't. I'm just doing what I can. I do feel a bit more shaky since the last cut.

I feel like you. I want to get this poison out of my body. And I did that big cuts. Not to be recommended.

I was on 20 mg of Valium. Did cuts of 2,5 mg every week. Until i hit 12,5 mg..I cut to 7,5 mg with a little help with lyrica for 5 days. Fine. I could handle it. Did a big cut again 7.5 mg to 5 mg after 3 weeks hold. Almost stable. 5 mg to 2,5 mg hold 4 weeks...Nooooot good! The w/d hit me so hard I thought I was going to die. I had to up dose. So high as up to 15 mg for the w/d to almost go away.

Now I had made a cut from 15 to 14 mg for a week ago. Almost no w/d to talk about. I did a cut today one week after last cut 1 mg so I am down to 13 mg now. But I hate this. I want to be free..I have big problems to hold this time and wants to rush into it and just quit. I now it is not a good plan and I need to stay on this taper for 13 more weeks.

I can handle really nasty w/d because I am not afraid. Maybe stupid. But I am a control person and I wants to set the rules and pace  :o

So stick to the plan to taper slow. Let us help each other to not believe it is a quick fix in this..I know after my own experience that Lyrica remove all w/d symptoms. I cut 10 mg in 5 weeks to zero. But was in an accident and they put me on these nasty Valium for my muscles to relax..I have enough Lyrica tp quit this s***.But I am afraid of being addicted to Lyrica. I didn't get addicted last time and I a taper them out in a week without w/d.

But I guess I had to do this the hard way. I don't know if I will get PAWS if I don't let my brain heal during slow taper.

I live in Sweden and in rehab they do like this

Ex You have 30 mg of Valium.. First they cut directly 2 mg. After they put you on 4 mg taper each week..No holding if bad w/d..And cut down to zero in 8 weeks..This is if you do it at home..At hospital they do it in 2 weeks. Cut every 3 day...Almost every one will end up in relapse and PAWS... :o:tickedoff:

Initially, I tapered faster (25%, hold 7 days) than recommended, but it caught up with me and became harder as I got to lower doses, so I slowed down. I never had anxiety or depression issues previously, so those weren't a major part of my withdrawals. I have "muscle issues" ... muscle pain, twitches, heart palpitations, along with fatigue. On a couple of occasions I've had insomnia, but it was probably due to sugar or caffeine (once tea and a couple of time chocolate). I also want to get off as fast as I could, but I think as you approach the jump, it is easier if you take it slow.

Cipro is a GABA Antagonist and block your GABA receptors and put you in a bad w/d.. :o

I fully understand your eagerness to get off this but in my own experience and that of most people I've read about on here, accelerating your taper will prove to be a false economy. If you're feeling  awful at the minute you don't want to see how bad it can get. I don't want to freak you out, I just don't want people suffering like I did.

If you look at my taper in my signature it's considered fast. I really didn't have many problems until I went from 1mg valium to 0.5. If I could go back I'd go to .75. 5mg to 3mg to 2mg to 1mg was pretty simple with minimal issues but I don't recommend going at that pace because I think once I got to .5 the symptoms caught up to me. So I'm holding at. 5 until they stabilize then going to .25 then jumping.

If you look at my taper in my signature it's considered fast. I really didn't have many problems until I went from 1mg valium to 0.5. If I could go back I'd go to .75. 5mg to 3mg to 2mg to 1mg was pretty simple with minimal issues but I don't recommend going at that pace because I think once I got to .5 the symptoms caught up to me. So I'm holding at. 5 until they stabilize then going to .25 then jumping.

You're very lucky, that is *fast* for the lower numbers.

Yeah, and I didn't realize it was fast until joining this site. My Dr. had it set up 5mg-4-3-2-1 like it'd be simple. They have no idea. So I skipped 4mg so I could use all those extra pills to go to .5 etc. Instead of jumping at 1mg like she prescribed.

I'm following the ashton manual for the higher doses. But it depends on how I feel 5+ days after a cut, I'm at the end of day 4 of my second cut and feel fine mostly. Happy to keep cutting by 2mg as planned, next cut is on 3rd Oct, will cut down to 14mg then.

Doctor said he would cut 1mg every 2weeks once I'm at 8mg. He has said 4week in between cuts is fine if I need it too, but so far I'm fine with 2weeks on these higher doses, but playing it by how I feel.

I still plan to do 1mg cuts from 8mg to benzo free every 2weeks, but I may hold at 4weeks; again will depend on how I will feel on each cut. I've been told by few people that my taper is quite fast, and I do realise the lower the dosage the harder it will be. Even my doctor on Monday said "You won't think I'm a bastard if I ask you to reduce to 16mg daily" and I was surprised at his concern, since I wanted to tell him I was happy to cut to 16mg daily. Far sight better dr than the one that completely failed me 2years ago.

mines is pretty fast if you go by the golden rule of 5-10% every 2 weeks. I've been doing 30-50% cuts every 7 days since 8/29. Partly because I was on it for 6 1/2 weeks before my doctor and i decided it was time to get off. In fact he wanted me to only do a 2 week taper (.20mg, .10mg then 0). Instead I decided to do a 4 week taper (.20mg, .125mg, .08mg, currently .04mg, then 0)

You already know my situation from our PMs but I'll share it here in case it helps you or others anyway. :smitten:

I have strictly followed the Ashton protocol of 1 mg of V every two weeks since my start at 10 mg. It has been relatively smooth but I've had my moments. It's starting to get a little harder now but it's still manageable.

I would not personally ever recommend doing more than 1 mg every two weeks. I can't see your sig as I'm typing this but I think you're at 7 mg... if you did 1 mg per week and .5 at the end, you'd be off in just 3.5 months. And that time will fly.

I'm not in favor of stretching it out more than necessary but also not in favor of going faster than is known to be safe. :thumbsup:

If you look at my taper in my signature it's considered fast. I really didn't have many problems until I went from 1mg Valium to 0.5. If I could go back I'd go to .75. 5mg to 3mg to 2mg to 1mg was pretty simple with minimal issues but I don't recommend going at that pace because I think once I got to .5 the symptoms caught up to me. So I'm holding at. 5 until they stabilize then going to .25 then jumping.

Yeah, and I didn't realize it was fast until joining this site. My Dr. had it set up 5mg-4-3-2-1 like it'd be simple. They have no idea. So I skipped 4mg so I could use all those extra pills to go to .5 etc. Instead of jumping at 1mg like she prescribed.

Let us put the Dr on Xanax for 6 months and go CT...I guess a Dr never ever will prescribe benzo or out us on stupid taper. Let it be a thing they had too do before they starts to work as Doctors...Let them try some nasty AD also and PPI  with all rebound symptoms...At the same time ::)

I feel like you. I want to get this poison out of my body. And I did that big cuts. Not to be recommended.

I was on 20 mg of Valium. Did cuts of 2,5 mg every week. Until i hit 12,5 mg..I cut to 7,5 mg with a little help with lyrica for 5 days. Fine. I could handle it. Did a big cut again 7.5 mg to 5 mg after 3 weeks hold. Almost stable. 5 mg to 2,5 mg hold 4 weeks...Nooooot good! The w/d hit me so hard I thought I was going to die. I had to up dose. So high as up to 15 mg for the w/d to almost go away.

Now I had made a cut from 15 to 14 mg for a week ago. Almost no w/d to talk about. I did a cut today one week after last cut 1 mg so I am down to 13 mg now. But I hate this. I want to be free..I have big problems to hold this time and wants to rush into it and just quit. I now it is not a good plan and I need to stay on this taper for 13 more weeks.

I can handle really nasty w/d because I am not afraid. Maybe stupid. But I am a control person and I wants to set the rules and pace  :o

So stick to the plan to taper slow. Let us help each other to not believe it is a quick fix in this..I know after my own experience that Lyrica remove all w/d symptoms. I cut 10 mg in 5 weeks to zero. But was in an accident and they put me on these nasty Valium for my muscles to relax..I have enough Lyrica tp quit this s***.But I am afraid of being addicted to Lyrica. I didn't get addicted last time and I a taper them out in a week without w/d.

But I guess I had to do this the hard way. I don't know if I will get PAWS if I don't let my brain heal during slow taper.

Ex You have 30 mg of Valium.. First they cut directly 2 mg. After they put you on 4 mg taper each week..No holding if bad w/d..And cut down to zero in 8 weeks..This is if you do it at home..At hospital they do it in 2 weeks. Cut every 3 day...Almost every one will end up in relapse and PAWS... :o:tickedoff:

:2funny:

It is true poor bastards... :o The swedish rehab is horrible!!!!. So I am afraid that my doctor wants to put me in a detox rehab. I am gonna die if she do that....I :o

mines is pretty fast if you go by the golden rule of 5-10% every 2 weeks. I've been doing 30-50% cuts every 7 days since 8/29. Partly because I was on it for 6 1/2 weeks before my doctor and i decided it was time to get off. In fact he wanted me to only do a 2 week taper (.20mg, .10mg then 0). Instead I decided to do a 4 week taper (.20mg, .125mg, .08mg, currently .04mg, then 0)

:laugh:  What the hell.

That's not a taper plan, that's a Cold Turkey ...    :tickedoff:

Auschwitz doctor again ...    >:(

Like I said during medschool let them take benzo for 6 months and go CT  :tickedoff:

The Dr are not humans they are cruel idiots :tickedoff:

I had like 15 mg of Valium but have slow metabolism. They said we change to klonponin. And you cut it and will.be done in two weeks.....Hell yeah!!! NOT!!

Like I said during medschool let them take benzo for 6 months and go CT  :tickedoff:

I had like 15 mg of Valium but have slow metabolism. They said we change to klonponin. And you cut it and will.be done in two weeks.....Hell yeah!!! NOT!!

They are Nazi's ! This is Nazi regime !! I'm not even kidding here, it were the Nazi's that invented all these medications. Did you know a Nazi doctor invented XTC just before WWII broke out or during ? Did your doctor really say that ?? That's insane ...  He must be a Nazi !!!!    :tickedoff:

They are Nazi's ! This is Nazi regime !! I'm not even kidding here, it were the Nazi's that invented all these medications. Did you know a Nazi doctor invented XTC just before WWII broke out or during ? Did your doctor really say that ?? That's insane ...  He must be a Nazi !!!!    :tickedoff:

I wish I could take a pic of my medicine prescribtion and show you. Detox or rehab is insane in Sweden...