Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Flashes/specks of light in my vision?

[ah...]

A few weeks ago, my psychiatrist decided it'd be a good idea to start off my taper by going from 3mg to 2mg of Klonopin. I noticed a few days into the reduction that I'd start to see specks of light for probably less than a second, but enough to notice. Decided that now's not a great time to taper, especially with such a large reduction, and am back on about 3mg of Klonopin a day. The thing is, though, even though I'm back on my normal dose of 3mg a day, which was only to prevent withdrawals, I'm still seeing these small flashes of light. I'm going to see an eye doctor ASAP but was wondering if anybody else has heard of similar symptoms during WD. From reading online these specks of light could be caused by a retinal tear, but it's strange because I never had this problem before my cut from 3mg to 2mg... Is there a possibility that my 1.5/2 week taper could still be causing this problem?

Hi,  most likely this is from withdrawal.  Even so, it's good to see an eye doctor just to be sure.  There's a condition called a "vitreous detachment," which is harmless and common in older people and some younger ones, and one of the symptoms is bright flashes of light around the edges of your vision.  This doesn't sound like what you have, though.  Retinal tears are much more serious, the symptoms are bright flashes of light and a lot of "floaters" suddenly appearing in one eye.  I doubt whether you have that either. :thumbsup:

Thanks, you've definitely helped my anxiety a ton haha. What I'm having doesn't seem to be either of what you mentioned... guess I'll find out tomorrow  :-\

I had this for a few days not too long ago when I had made a big cut and then had to up dose. they were like flashing spots of light. Good to get it checked out, but it's very likely related to this situation.

:)

I have it now ad have had it many times on and off due to withdrawal,  I also have what I call 'Kaleidoscope vision as its like trying to look through a cloudless kaleidoscope  :o

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I've had this also periodically. Flashes of light in my peripheral vision. I have always chalked it up to withdrawal as it only to started when I began my taper too rapidly. --V