Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

5 week taper after 6 week use...TOO LONG?

[wh...]

I originally started with 1 mg. of clonazepam and by week 5-6 I was maintaining .30 mg. At 6 1/2 weeks decided to start tapering to get off. Is my taper plan relatively slow and should I just jump at the end of week 10 making it a 4 week taper or should I continue on with week 11 to make it a 5 week taper? Does everyone go through acute withdrawal no matter how long the taper is? I'm just confused as it would appear the medicine is still in your system even at it's lowest dose before actually being done. Anyone with success?

week 7 - .20 (complete)

week 8 - .125 (complete)

week 9 - .08 (complete)

week 10 - .04 (starting this tonight 9/19)

week 11 - .02

No, for most people, they do not go through "acute withdrawal" after the taper is complete. For many, it is a non-event. In my case, after 7 weeks and a 12 day taper, it was really a non-event. I would suggest quitting right now--the amount you are on is negligible, and the chances of any withdrawal symptoms of note are pretty much zero. But you have to do what you are comfortable with.

No, for most people, they do not go through "acute withdrawal" after the taper is complete. For many, it is a non-event. In my case, after 7 weeks and a 12 day taper, it was really a non-event. I would suggest quitting right now--the amount you are on is negligible, and the chances of any withdrawal symptoms of note are pretty much zero. But you have to do what you are comfortable with.

Hi again Meowie. You must be sick of me asking this question on so many different forums huh?,...LOL! I'm just afraid I guess of the jerking and muscle stuff getting worse when I'm off. This .04 mg is set to be my last week and I'm starting to chicken out by wanting to go to .02 mg for another week. I know there will be an end date eventually but I'm just afraid of the what if's.

It really can't hurt to go to the lower dose before jumping. It looks like you've been on a good taper and and your jump will be a non-event, either way. Good luck!

It really can't hurt to go to the lower dose before jumping. It looks like you've been on a good taper and and your jump will be a non-event, either way. Good luck!

thanks Travis P. I had contemplated that but somebody else mentioned that if you are on benzos short term a long taper is not recommended as your body will get used to it. That is where my dilemma is since I don't know if the paradoxical effects I gained are with me no matter how long I taper.

I am hoping it's non eventful though. Right now all I seem to feel for the past couple weeks of tapering is increased night sweats and some nervous energy and adrenaline at times when trying to relax or drift off to sleep.

thanks Travis P. I had contemplated that but somebody else mentioned that if you are on benzos short term a long taper is not recommended as your body will get used to it. That is where my dilemma is since I don't know if the paradoxical effects I gained are with me no matter how long I taper.

I am hoping it's non eventful though. Right now all I seem to feel for the past couple weeks of tapering is increased night sweats and some nervous energy and adrenaline at times when trying to relax or drift off to sleep.

I'm curious about this as wel. Been on clonazapeam for 4 months and taking three months to get off makes me worry I'm going to get more dependent.

I'm curious about this as wel. Been on clonazapeam for 4 months and taking three months to get off makes me worry I'm going to get more dependent.

I'm no expert but I would assume the longer you are on a specific dose versus the entire length of taper. So if you stay stuck at a certain dose for 3 weeks before another taper I'm sure you're body will feel it. But I don't know. Either way the medication is in your system until the last dose. I think it's just a smoother transition when you are finally off.

someone with more experience can chime in.

Yes, your body does make changes over time, that make you more dependent on the drug, and also make it much more difficult to get off of without severe side effects. Regardless of the dosage, receptors are being modified and reduced, chemical secretions changed. This is why I hate to see people without long-term usage, drawn into very long tapers. Oftentimes it seems they create more of an issue than if they had rapidly tapered off the drug in the first place.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of variability in how quickly people become dependent, and how quickly they can taper off (and it also varies from drug to drug!). In general, I think it is prudent to taper off as rapidly as you can handle with short term usage, knowing that the chances of severe withdrawal symptoms (such as seizures) and protracted post-withdrawal symptoms are practically nil.

One drawback of this forum is that there can be a lot of fear created about the withdrawal process for many, that is often not warranted (a healthy respect is okay!). They begin to question their doctor's guidance and get really confused about how to proceed. 

Yes, your body does make changes over time, that make you more dependent on the drug, and also make it much more difficult to get off of without severe side effects. Regardless of the dosage, receptors are being modified and reduced, chemical secretions changed. This is why I hate to see people without long-term usage, drawn into very long tapers. Oftentimes it seems they create more of an issue than if they had rapidly tapered off the drug in the first place.

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of variability in how quickly people become dependent, and how quickly they can taper off (and it also varies from drug to drug!). In general, I think it is prudent to taper off as rapidly as you can handle with short term usage, knowing that the chances of severe withdrawal symptoms (such as seizures) and protracted post-withdrawal symptoms are practically nil.

One drawback of this forum is that there can be a lot of fear created about the withdrawal process for many, that is often not warranted (a healthy respect is okay!). They begin to question their doctor's guidance and get really confused about how to proceed.

once again Meowie..."the voice of reason" :) :) :) :)

I feel like you and me are in the same boat......i have been on 5mg valium for 2 months and thats including a taper....i only get anxiety day 3-4 after a cut.....im depressed most of the other times. Im tapering .5mg every 7 days or so when my body feels like it needs another reduction...just dot know either

Thanks, whatshappening

I feel like this a lot of the time-- :nono:

But I just hate to see people suffer needlessly!

Thanks, whatshappening

I feel like this a lot of the time-- :nono:

But I just hate to see people suffer needlessly!

Hey meowie, I jumped last night. meaning my last pill was Friday and I didn't take one for Saturday night.  suppose to take my last .04mg tonight (Sunday) but decided 2 days won't make a difference at the same dose. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how the following week goes.

Hey whatshappening, how is it going? Hope you are doing okay!

Thanks for checking in on me Meowie. So far so good. some slight crawly sensations but nothing that is totally freaking me out as I know my nervous system is adjusting. Sleep has been a little interrupted even though I'm taking the mirtz but I anticipated that. I know it will be many days ahead till this medication is out of my system but I have not interest in resuming it or taking it in the future as it never benefited me even with sleep. 

You have been such a voice of reason and logical advice giver and the main reason I ended my taper sooner. Could I message you separately should I need support during the following weeks?

I am finishing a 4 month taper after 4 months of use.  I had planned on a 2 month taper, but I listened to my body and had to slow down.  I have been very functional, especially on the lower doses.  It will take m 1 more month to go from .12 to 0 and I'm not rushing it.  I've never heard of anyone going too slow.  If you feel great just stop, your dosage is so small.  Good luck!

WH--so glad to hear things are going well. Happy to provide any support I can! The half-life of clonazepam is not that long, so you are officially DRUG FREE!! :yippee: