Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Is coffee quickening my interdose WD?

[Je...]

I know the simple answer is back off. 

I take my morning xanax at 7AM, drink 3 cups of coffee (small cups) and by 9 I'm tweaking.

what's been your experience, less caffeine help you?

Yes it helps me a lot, I quit caffeine about 3weeks before I started my taper and right now feel a lot better by not putting caffeine into my system. I feel more stable and my routine is much more stable as well.

I have drank only water for 1.5months or so and will be the only thing I drink for most of the time apart from when it gets colder at nights coming up to winter then I'll have hot chocolates but they don't have caffeine in it.

Family all drink caffeine, either coffee, tea or soda. But then they aren't W/D from benzos. I really didn't realise how much caffeine being the stimulant it is, added so much extra anxiety to my day, I'm glad to be free from it.

Yes the less coffie I drink the better but I have to have my caffeine and I Love my coffie  :smitten: so I drink it anyway but much less than I did before.

What happens when you drink caffeine?

I get into somekind of fight or flight mode. Heart rasing, sweating, tremor and sometimes more anxiety and panic but this is if I drink to much. If I keep to like 1-2 cups before lunch and one in the afternoon it is ok for me. At least for now, I will see how it goes when the tapering continues. At the moment I am not ready to give it up.

Right now I can't touch caffeine.

what happens if you do?

I actually feel my anxiety get worse, if thats even possible. I get really jumpy. And my heart races.

Coffee actually acts the opposite for me in the mornings. Now 2 regulars, 1 decaf. It relaxes me and seems mildly sedating. Go figure. BUT afternoon...only rarely and it is always decaf.

Shaking, anxiety gets worse and coffee is my favorite drink. It's affect your CNS it is a stimulant...So your brain will be little stressed out and it is a trigger for w/d...

i noticed that coffee is totally fine, even high doses, get a bit jitters but no anxiety or w/d symptoms increase.

i can't however smoke my occasional cigar. going into really bad sleep and anxiety for a day or so at least

man, 0 pleasures during this w/d crap

Drinking caffeine didn't seem to mater at higher doses of Xanax (0.5 mg), but as I tapered, I had more withdrawals, so now I only drink 1 Venti of decaf Americana. Of course Decaf still has some caffeine, but a lot less. Anyway, it made the tapering a lot easier for me.  :thumbsup:

By the way, the Ashton manual recommends removing caffeine from your diet.

I found coffee to be an aid during withdrawal, in limited amounts.  It really helped my depression and also alleviated some of my morning cog fog, which was severe.