Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax making me wired?

[Je...]

I've come to the realization that Xanax makes me wired and restless.  If I take a larger dose, say .75 instead of .5, the effect is more pronounced.  In effect the drug is actually causing the symptoms I'm trying to treat with it.  It tricks me into thinking I need more and if I fall for it, I feel worse.

Anyone else ever experience a phenomena like this?

Yes I deal with it daily after every dose I take of Valium. I once updosed for just 1 day from 14 mg to 20 to see if it would help my symptoms . Burning, agitation etc. Nope did nothing at all except make me groggy like crazy but helped me zero. Never updosed again and never will. Maybe you are having a paradoxical reaction in which case you'd want to go down, not up. Are you still crossing over to Valium. Sometimes crossovers are hard. This whole thing is hard. Step by step we go but we will heal. Try to remember that always. It helps. B

I've come to the realization that Xanax makes me wired and restless.  If I take a larger dose, say .75 instead of .5, the effect is more pronounced.  In effect the drug is actually causing the symptoms I'm trying to treat with it.  It tricks me into thinking I need more and if I fall for it, I feel worse.

Anyone else ever experience a phenomena like this?

It's almost like someone or something is telling you not to take Xanax anymore Jerry. I had these symptoms you are talking about the day afterwards. As a matter of fact there were so many downsides with taking them I quit that drug altogether about 3 weeks ago and never looked back. I think it's time for a crossover to Valium. Really Xanax has gotten plain useless for me either.

Paradoxical reaction. Maybe switch to klonopin equal dose, stabilize then wean. That's what I had to do. I switched from 5 !g of Xanax to 3 mg of Klonopin.

Yeah maybe paradoxical. If so you'd want off a sap but it also appears the Valium might not be right for you. It sure wasn't right for me but I'm stuck with it now. Think offeverything makes a good point. Klonopin can be nasty but I was dry cutting it after my Ativan was gone and actually doing well until I switched to Valium. Then my nightmare started. Great for some, not others. Even now if it wasn't too late I'd go back to the Klonopin and dry cut that. Jeepers it's hard to know though. We are all so different. Maybe talk to your doc about it? Worth a try. B

Good point! I've been off everything for going on 4 months now, went to Starbucks a couple weeks ago for a pumpkin spice frappucino, MAN WAS I WIRED! I want another one but don't want to feel so wired. Regular soda (mainly dr pepper) seems to not affect me, but coffee does.

I don't think you can know for sure unless you take a day off coffee, Jerry.  Coffee is very wiring.

Good point! I've been off everything for going on 4 months now, went to Starbucks a couple weeks ago for a pumpkin spice frappucino, MAN WAS I WIRED! I want another one but don't want to feel so wired. Regular soda (mainly dr pepper) seems to not affect me, but coffee does.

I don't think you can know for sure unless you take a day off coffee, Jerry.  Coffee is very wiring.

What happens to me...  I Drink it in the morning to wake up.    By 9AM I take xanax because I'm wired...

Have you tried that half caff coffee or possibly even decaf? It might help. I know for big coffee drinkers its difficult, my dad is a HUGE coffee drinker in the mornings.

What happens to me...  I Drink it in the morning to wake up.    By 9AM I take xanax because I'm wired...

My first thought, too, was maybe its the coffee. If you decide to cut down, take it slow because that change can make you feel bad, too (although not nearly as much as the drugs).

:)

Weird. Coffee relaxes me or makes me tired too. Guess that's weird but it just does. B

I've been wondering about this too now for a while but I drink 2 energy drinks of which one a Red Bull every day and it kind of relaxes me too. It helps me tremendously with or against my depression too. I really wouldn't know how I would be able to go through withdrawals without those energy drinks. I bet I would be in bed all day much more often.

By the way Jerry, I recently (to help me with sleep) took a "rescue dose" of Xanax 1 mg. It has been 3 weeks since I took one of those and O boy how disappointing it was. I got no sleep out of it at all, I really wonder why I keep taking it every once in a while. Now I'm feeling like utter crap, cranky and my bowels are moving big time. There's just NO use for taking it anymore !!!    :brickwall: