Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Best of Both Worlds. Anyone tackling opiates as well?

[wo...]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bu...]

• [si...]

• [of...]

• [Sh...]

I quit both Xanax and opiates in rebab last November. The dual addiction has made it very hard to get myself together. Made WD much worse and much more difficult to go through. I'm at nine months and still suffering bigtime. The combination of the two makes it a very difficult road to tow.

I was on opioids for 10 yrs. And benzos for 7 of those 10 years. It's a double smack down. I detoxed back in April. My butt is square on the couch. I think the two of them together are a nightmare. I feel for you.

Some people here like to argue that getting off of opioids is a cakewalk compared to benzos, but this usually seems to come from people who talk about going off numerous times and then going on to something else.  Or they talk about people they met in rehab who supposedly kicked opioids in a week.  Right.  Nobody can ever say how long it takes "clean" before you really feel good again.  And if opioids were that easy to ditch, would we have the huge opioid crisis in this country?  Nope.  So yes, I think when we have to come off both opioids AND benzos it's extra hard.  In the end I couldn't tell which symptoms were from which, but what did it really matter?  Sick is sick.  Well is well.

Thank you.  Would you know it.  If Finallyjoining is out there I wanted to share a few notes with you.  I think my cold turkey off benzos in late 2012 eclipsed any wd I was having off the opiates.  I was pretty much tapered down from the pain killers by then.  So I never actually experienced the physical and mental aspect of opiate withdrawal.

As the months moved along all, everything I experienced I associated with benzos.  Now looking back I was most likely healing from both.  I was so fixated on "benzos benzos benzos," that I gave little credit to the seven years of daily hydrocodone use, one year alone was a moderate dose of Suboxone! 

As I delve deeper into the opiate withdrawal process I am floored!  I cant believe how similar the two are in comparison to both mentally and physically.

I am in NO WAY saying that the benzos can be equally devastating.  The mental horror is second to none. 

I've been recovering from heavy MDMA use from my mid to late twenties. I abused the shit out of it and od on my last use. It took me 6 months to make descent recovery. But I wanted to to get off of benzo when that happened. My doctor said I could do that when I was ready to. That asshole had me get off at the one year mark from that incident when my cns was still healing. Now my withdrawals are complicated from that which has turned my brain chemistry upside down.

Wornout--I was 8 months off of Oxycodone and not getting well when it occurred to me maybe Xanax was part of my problem.  No doctor clued me in--I had to figure it out myself.  In the end I think we who have traveled this road are the only ones who really know what it's like.  It seems to me the doctors don't really understand what withdrawal is like from EITHER opioids or benzos, so there's no help there.

I read (and reviewed) a lot of addiction memoirs, looking for some guidance or some stories that would mirror my own.  Never found any.

Unfortunately, we're on our own.  To me, though, the good news is that the cure here lies not with the doctors, but in just staying "clean" and waiting it all out.  Hang in there.  Being well again feels great!

I started a thread about the same thing. Search DeeJay and read some good info and advise. I am in the same boat. I think I will wait a little longer into benzo recovery before kicking opioids. However, I was told by one member that taking opioids was making benzo wd worse. I wish I knew what to

Do.

I came off oxy three years ago, and started my taper off of benzos. I have been in a living hell every since.

I have been off benzos for almost 13 months. I am on no other meds. I still suffer from all kinds of symptoms.

Because of all the suffering I no longer have any quality of life and I have no idea who I am.

This is my experience, I no it is not positive but it is my truth and the reality that I live in every minute of my life.

I came off of these drugs to make my life better so I could be strong again and find purpose only to discover the horrifying damage that was done to my body and mind.

I pray for peace of mind and a calm body before I die.

So far so goo.  I started at only 2mgs of suboxone.  Two  weeks later I was at just .25 mgs.  I cut down to .125 for three days. 

I w should be really excited about getting off, but then again I look at my over all health.  Just like coming off benzos. 

Obsessing over liver and kidneys.  These symptoms ?!?!?!

I came off oxy three years ago, and started my taper off of benzos. I have been in a living hell every since.

I have been off benzos for almost 13 months. I am on no other meds. I still suffer from all kinds of symptoms.

Because of all the suffering I no longer have any quality of life and I have no idea who I am.

This is my experience, I no it is not positive but it is my truth and the reality that I live in every minute of my life.

I came off of these drugs to make my life better so I could be strong again and find purpose only to discover the horrifying damage that was done to my body and mind.

I pray for peace of mind and a calm body before I die.

Having been through both opioid and benzo withdrawal and recovered, I just want to reassure you that all the "living hell" is temporary.

The misery does end and you will regain your former quality of life.  Just keep off pills, eat healthily and exercise.

Wishing all of you the best. 

Opioids and benzos are a lethal combo and I am so grateful to have survived!

Lizie

Silver did you come off Oxy feeling ok?

No, I think it was because I was in tolerance from benzos. I ct off of 320 mg daily of oxy. That wd over lapped into my taper of benzos. so it has been a long road.

I am off all meds so I am hoping for some good results in the next few months.

Silver, did you say you were on 320 mg of oxycodone?  That can't be right.  My pills are 10 mg each.  Thanks.  I see you attribute having a harder time coming off opioids because you were in tol/wd from benzos.  In my gut I think the same would happen to me at 6 months out of benzos.  I'm quite sure I'm going to wait on my opioid taper. 

It can happen...I've been taking a slow release oxy called Targin here in Australia. I swear its not as strong as normal oxy. But yeah, I was taking 3 20mg pills morning noon and night so that's up around 180mg a day. And even that was working as well after a few days. But yeah I've stopped now and luckily no WD.

• 4 months later...
This topic is pretty old, but I was hoping I could get some advice and reassurance about coming off of opiates and benzos.  Right now I'm on 16mg of Suboxone and have been taking it since 2008.  I've been taking benzos for about 2 years.  Started at 20mg of Valium and once I noticed withdrawal symptoms after a couple months I started tapering. Now I'm at 5mg.  Most people say to get off of the opiates first because you heal from them quicker, and once you're off of them it will make coming off the benzo easier.  Does that sound pretty logical?  ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

I jumped from Xanax and Paxil at the same time June 17 2016. It has been a nightmare , I didn't know it was this horrible . I did not want to go through Paxil wd so I thought I just got over them .

I posted on this thread back in September.

I can say I am slowly getting better, but it has been living hell.

I was on extremely high levels of both opiates and benzos for 14 years.

During that time I switched to methadone and then over to Suboxone.

At the end I was taking 320 mgs. of oxy a day.

This healing process for me has taken 3.5 years and it is not over yet.

I have gone from being bed ridden to a fairly functional person again.

I believe there is hope for a full recovery. This has come at a high price and I am a completely different person.

Someday I plan on writing my success story, for now I do what I can and continue to put the time in.

I didn't get to this point overnight so it only make sense that the healing will not happen overnight.

I posted on this thread back in September.

I can say I am slowly getting better, but it has been living hell.

I was on extremely high levels of both opiates and benzos for 14 years.

During that time I switched to methadone and then over to Suboxone.

At the end I was taking 320 mgs. of oxy a day.

This healing process for me has taken 3.5 years and it is not over yet.

I have gone from being bed ridden to a fairly functional person again.

I believe there is hope for a full recovery. This has come at a high price and I am a completely different person.

Someday I plan on writing my success story, for now I do what I can and continue to put the time in.

I didn't get to this point overnight so it only make sense that the healing will not happen overnight.

Are you still on the Suboxone or have you gotten off of it?  That's a rough one to still be suffering a year and a half after you stopped taking benzos.  Hopefully you'll turn a corner soon and start to really improve.