Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax withdraw

[Mg...]

I started taking zanax .5 mg 2x daily since July 1,2016. Dropped to .25 2times daily a week ago. Now on .25 once daily for this week. Dr also started me on metoprolol 12.5 mg once daily today. Having severe withdraws.

Hi Mg1002 and welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Even though your use was fairly short, sometimes withdrawal can be difficult.  I also tapered from Xanax and would suggest that you think about going back up to .25mg twice a day and hold there a bit until things settle down somewhat before cutting again.  When you do cut again, I'd suggest splitting one of the doses into fourths and tossing one of the fourths as your cut.  That's a .0625mg cut.  After a week I'd do that with the other dose, then each week keep cutting one dose or the other until you're done.

But other members may have different advice, so here are some links to start posting to the wider membership:

General Taper Plans 

Withdrawal Support 

We highly recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, which is an authoritative source on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery, authored by Dr. C. Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field. It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations on the reasons for their existence.

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

~Challis  :smitten:

Please see my signature ... this has worked well for me. I'll jump in ~10 days.

I'd also suggest cutting out caffeine and doing aerobic exercising. For me, the caffeine didn't seem to matter when I was at higher doses of Xanax, but started making a difference (negative) as I reduced the amount of Xanax.

Finally, I didn't think 0.03 mg would have much impact and thought about jumping earlier, but it turns out that it is making a difference. I had a spike in withdrawals symptoms two days after I cut to 0.03 mg, and that night I took my 0.03 mg dose, and it made a big difference in muscle pain and my tinnitus. Quite surprising to me.