Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

anyone diagnosed with aspergers

[ho...]

No, but my daughter told me she thought I had early onset dementia.  Not what you want to hear from your own child, especially a nurse. 

She has since re-diagnosed me as her normal, eccentric, mom.  ::)

I wouldn't let anyone diagnose me with anything for a long while after the benzos are gone.

I went to a top psychologist and took 2 tests one was 200 questions the other was 600 he said from just the first test that I probably have high functioning autism

Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Unless it's a purely physical issue ( eg. Stitches for a deep cut) I wouldn't accept any diagnoses of my mental state during this taper. It is what is is for me. Bloody withdrawal. B

I've a formal diagnosis of autism, had been diagnosed when I was a kid.

As others have said, I wouldn't take any mental diagnosis during a benzo taper.

Well I went to some top psychologist who said even with the benzo withdarawal that with my childhood and the testing he had me do he thinks that it is possiblrle that I have a low spectrum and benzo withdrawal is exacerbating it.

Hi Hodge,

Yes I've been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I do think I understand why you ask this. You are in doubt if the way you feel is caused by withdraw or autism right? Or do you wonder if withdrawing can be the cause of the diagnose?

I doubt the latter, since the diagnosis is mainly based on your behaviour as a child.

Myself, I can only hope that the way I feel is caused by the decade of Rivotril usage, although I partly doubt this because I did feel like this in my teens as well (chronic dissociation, dreamlike state). However I am quite sure the withdraw (and usage) makes everything a lot worse, all comorbidities like fear and stress become a lot worse and therefor excerbates autism (since the level of autism has everything to do with stress).

I do wonder a lot if at some point I will get some relieve and I hope so much that I will feel less numb when I am done with this.

In my case I am quite sure all physichal related stuff like tinittus, brain fog, pain, breathing problems, blurred vision and so on are caused by the benzo, so I am quite sure I will feel at least a bit better when this poison is out of my system.

Hope this helps you.

Take care,

Johan

Yes, I was diagnosed as an Aspie earlier this year. Once speaking with and than testing was done by the Neuropsychologist , the score was a resounding "Yes." It is a late in life diagnosis and I do believe tapering probably exasperated the underlying condition. I had researched this last year and noted the traits associated with Asperger's and had many "aha moments" that I could confirm from decades ago and decades before benzo's.

Male and females present differently, why females go misdiagnosed far more often than males.

List of female traits:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjNqYqW_pvPAhUL2IMKHZAlDdIQFgguMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.help4aspergers.com%2Fpb%2Fwp_a58d4f6a%2Fwp_a58d4f6a.html&usg=AFQjCNEAT9uYWK0H63hzeoL0YN_mvcQeKw&bvm=bv.133178914,d.amc

I honestly feel that as much as possible we all need to stay away from testing of any kind. We have all had our fair share of testing and the heightened anxiety and hyper-vigilance it brings. It's all so very negative for the most part. We also need to not overshare with family and friends. They won't get it and we can get overwhelmed with advice and well meaning comments. Another A.A. thing is 'Keep it Simple'. As much as we can we need our recovery not to invade our lives. Easier said than done I know. Today I am woozy, sick and my bed is my best friend.

Hi hodge,  who knows if the diagnosis is accurate during benzo withdrawal, but if it is, you have a lot of amazing company. Our tech fields, physicists and engineers are full of spectrum folks.  My son has autism diagnosed at 23 months old now 20.  Because of that I have learned a lot.  Hang in there.  Try and find the support you need.  Don't stress over labels.