Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dry cutting vs liquid suspension Ativan

[Ra...]

I currently have .5mg pills (Ativan).

I take .25mg in the morning and then again in the late afternoon. So I take one .5 pill and split it in half for the two doses.

If I dry cut each of these, how in the world do you take off 5 or 10%? Do I have to use a gram scale? I mean at 10%, it's .025. Should I take a pill and mark the measurements on it to use a reference?

If The compounding pharmacy can do a liquid suspension, I guess it eliminates the first question, but does the liquid suspension always have to be refrigerated? And I'm worried I'm too dumb to figure out how to dose with the dropper. (I guess the pharmacist would help with that?)

Maybe thinking too much about it, but would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks so much.  :) 

I currently have .5mg pills (Ativan).

I take .25mg in the morning and then again in the late afternoon. So I take one .5 pill and split it in half for the two doses.

If I dry cut each of these, how in the world do you take off 5 or 10%? Do I have to use a gram scale? I mean at 10%, it's .025. Should I take a pill and mark the measurements on it to use a reference?

Yes, you have use a precision scale, and use a nail file to sand off the tablet.

If The compounding pharmacy can do a liquid suspension, I guess it eliminates the first question, but does the liquid suspension always have to be refrigerated? And I'm worried I'm too dumb to figure out how to dose with the dropper. (I guess the pharmacist would help with that?) 

A liquid taper is definitely easier.  Storage requirements would depend on how the pharmacy formulated the suspension.  The ativan itself does not require refrigeration, and most suspension liquid also do not.  BTW, there is a Rx grade liquid ativan available.  Definitely better than a custom suspension.

Maybe thinking too much about it, but would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks so much.  :)

Builder, thanks so much. I checked with my regular pharmacy and they told me they do have a liquid suspension, which I think might be shelf stable (not sure). He said the dropper is attached to the lid. Will the dropper go down to the amounts necessary for this taper?

I read on here somewhere that people are counting drops into a spoon? 

I hope the pharmacist will be able to explain this to me because I feel really dumb about it right now.  Maybe it will make more sense when I actually do it.

Again, thanks!

:)

To clarify, the liquid suspension is a 30ml bottle. My doc is gonna have to rewrite the script npbecause he didn't write it for 30ml, that's why the pharmacist told me to try the compounding pharmacy.

How would I take .25, then .225, and so on, with a dropper from this?