Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Playing with language...your thoughts...let's discuss.

[ne...]

I've been thinking of something I want to try.  Wanted to share as it might help others.

I realized I have been talking about the meds I WAS taking as though I was still on them. I would talk about it by saying:

"This crap I'm on..." even though I'm off them now for six weeks.  How I plan to say it going forward is:

"The crap I USED to be on...."

Saying "I'm on" presupposes currently, "I used to be on" presupposes past tense and how I need to be thinking and acting.

Small thing, but I hope to see a change in progress.  I know a positive attitude can go a long way to getting through all this. Maybe how we language things can also be a big help.

I'm feeling optimist today..day two of a decent days....YEAH!

Thoughts?

I've been thinking of something I want to try.  Wanted to share as it might help others.

I realized I have been talking about the meds I WAS taking as though I was still on them. I would talk about it by saying:

"This crap I'm on..." even though I'm off them now for six weeks.  How I plan to say it going forward is:

"The crap I USED to be on...."

Saying "I'm on" presupposes currently, "I used to be on" presupposes past tense and how I need to be thinking and acting.

Small thing, but I hope to see a change in progress.  I know a positive attitude can go a long way to getting through all this. Maybe how we language things can also be a big help.

I'm feeling optimist today..day two of a decent days....YEAH!

Thoughts?

Yes, I too believe that when at all doable using life affirming language is the best way to go... I believe it does make a difference and that even when we slip it's alright because it happens, but over-all phrasing things the way that builds us up is a super powerful thing and will have much better results.

Hi azalea32,

I see we close in our race to the finish line. I jumped around the first of Aug. 2016. I didn't mark down the date as I didn't know this what was what I was dealing with. Now I wish I had the exact date. I'm having to just be close based on the date of my last counseling appointment and what I remember telling the counselor when I called, desperate for help in an acute phase.

Hi azalea32,

I see we close in our race to the finish line. I jumped around the first of Aug. 2016. I didn't mark down the date as I didn't know this what was what I was dealing with. Now I wish I had the exact date. I'm having to just be close based on the date of my last counseling appointment and what I remember telling the counselor when I called, desperate for help in an acute phase.

When I reached the ZERO after 5 years I never spoke about meds I was on. I talked about the stuff I was off because I was so damn proud of it!! You just jumped! Have you celebrated enough? Big party? Price/medals/tattoo/the date on your wall? I did such stuff and that helped me to make that day the biggest of my life! Did you do something like that? Perhaps this would lead to speaking about former meds instead of things you "are still on".

I have changed my language to "What I was on" right after the original post.

Past tense now.

I didn't mark down the date as I didn't know what I was dealing with till after the fact.

I have a very close estimate based on some documentation so I made my line in the sand as August 1st, 2016.

I have changed my language to "What I was on" right after the original post.

Past tense now.

I didn't mark down the date as I didn't know what I was dealing with till after the fact.

I have a very close estimate based on some documentation so I made my line in the sand as August 1st, 2016.

Nice. Welcome to the new world after benzos ;D