Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Overactive thyroid T3

[Lo...]

So finally after going into the doctors for the 100th time and making it very clear that for my 5th round of bloods i want EVERYTHING tested and that includes ALL my hormones.

I finally got a hit!! My T3 thyroid hormones are over active sitting at 7.3 when it should be between 3.2 - 6.4. The doctor asked if i have fatigue,  heart palps , anxiety,  muscle soreness and cognative impairment. My reply was "Ive been telling you that for 15 months mate"

Im glad they finally found something and validated the fact im not crazy. He didnt really give me any advice or meds just come back in 6 weeks as all my other bloods are looking better than ever and returning to normal. I have a strong suspicion that over the next 6 months they would be back to normal.

I strongly suggest next bloods you have done get your thyroid tested thoroughly as i know alot of people on here have posted about their hormones being out of wack.

Anyone else have the same issue??

I have a very underactive thyroid. TSH normally should be between .5-5 and mine was a 38. My dr just increased my levothyroxine med since it hasn't had any effect on how I feel so far. I constantly feel like a slug, depressed, unmotivated, and unlike most people on this board I can't stop GAINING weight.

I'm another person on here with a thyroid thread right now, you may have seen it.

I am stupified by how incredibly ridiculous doctors can be and can't even find the words for what I've been hearing over the last days in relation to what I'm going through. I wanted to extrapolate on my thread a bit about what has been taking place, but I'm so dumbfounded that all I've written more recently is that they're having me back for a biopsy of my thyroid tomorrow.

The reason I write in to your thread right now, is that I believe my condition is directly related to the benzos, and I too believe things will clear up if only given more time off. BUT, would THEY have me believe this??! NO. Would they try to scare the living you know what out of me and not hear what I'm saying- these so called 'medical professionals,' absolutely. So I lay here tossing and turning with nightmares and the scariest thoughts, trying to fight them off, until my results return.

It could sound like I was blaming all this on benzos and doctors without rational thought, however something funny happened (it wasn't the only part of my story that makes up a whole logical picture for why this is all taking place for me and I shouldn't be fearing for my life.) What happened was that I was going to continue my fairly rapid taper at a much more reasonable pace, but I was forced to jump and stop tapering because I felt absolutely TOXIC on klonopin. I mean beyond bad w/'s, my thyroid was getting bigger very rapidly and a lymph node in my neck which has also been swollen seemed directly involved along with crippling tiredness and irritability and the very clear feeling that my body was not going to take one more dose because the sh*t was POISON. So I did stop. And I felt A LOT better after just ONE DAY. And a week later, though still enlarged, my thyroid had gone down and decreased in size a noticable amount. My mother and I both noticed it again and again, and it was easier for me to lie down and also to swallow food... And breathe.

I also noticed after a brief search that there has been a study in which rats were given benzos and their thyroids affected. I'd have to find it again, but it does exist.

And to think my doctor, or np, or whatever they're calling themselves these days... 'Doctors,' ha! Whatever that word means. To think she turned my suggestion right down just days ago, that there were any correlation between the two, and I told her 'that's funny, I found an article on studies with rats' and she said something like 'well I would check my patients for these conditions before I gave them anything like this.' And I'm thinking, 'kay, this is going nowhere... Seeing as I'm suggesting the pills CAUSE these kinds of conditions- not the other way around, and you say NO and then try to back peddle with some explanation that doesn't even logically apply as a valid explanation. So, let's just go ahead and do the whole dance so I can find out for sure I don't have something potentially life-threatening going on and I can be on merry way. So yes, I'll pretend along with you so you don't hate me because I threaten your EGO, and YOU do MY bidding... Temporarily.'

Anyway, there's more to my experience and reasoning but they don't listen anyway and it starts to feel like what one has to say must really not matter, and all the other feelings that go along with this besides all the invalidation. And what I really want to say, is THANK YOU for sharing this so that I could read it tonight, because my np would have me thinking I should be "very worried" because "they are." And a bunch of other things that may not apply at all to my situation but have me feeling awful through this process.

I also noticed after a brief search that there has been a study in which rats were given benzos and their thyroids affected. I'd have to find it again, but it does exist.

And to think my doctor, or np, or whatever they're calling themselves these days... 'Doctors,' ha! Whatever that word means. To think she turned my suggestion right down just days ago, that there were any correlation between the two, and I told her 'that's funny, I found an article on studies with rats' and she said something like 'well I would check my patients for these conditions before I gave them anything like this.' And I'm thinking, 'kay, this is going nowhere... Seeing as I'm suggesting the pills CAUSE these kinds of conditions- not the other way around, and you say NO and then try to back peddle with some explanation that doesn't even logically apply as a valid explanation. So, let's just go ahead and do the whole dance so I can find out for sure I don't have something potentially life-threatening going on and I can be on merry way. So yes, I'll pretend along with you so you don't hate me because I threaten your EGO, and YOU do MY bidding... Temporarily.'

Rats and benzos:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15785788

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/benzos/

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74474.0

Doctors:

I have a RANT that could fill pages on this forum about the madness I've been though since July 2015. I totally get where you are coming from. My common pattern, taper started January 2015, ill beyond belief July 2015, thyroid medication starting August 2015, increased September 2015, diagnosed with 'fibromyalgia' March 2016.  So new thyroid issues and fibromyalgia, an autoimmune disorder. Every conversation with doctor is a denial of connection.

Where I go, when I go for a primary care visit, they ask: "Name, date of birth, if you get a prescription today, where would you like it filled?" That looks to me like it presupposes that you are probably going to get a prescription. The pattern I've seen is go to doc with symptom, sent to lab, bloodwork comes back, new prescription, then a few weeks later, new prescription to fix side effects of last prescription. It was NOT going to end well. It is just madness!!!

Fast forward to today...I am off thyroid meds, all meds except one. LDN.  I was able to get off thyroid medication since starting LDN March 29, 2016. It turned my life around.

Couple of my links that go with this post:

Latest new pdoc visit.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165332.0

My LDN story.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165238.0

I'm another person on here with a thyroid thread right now, you may have seen it.

I am stupified by how incredibly ridiculous doctors can be and can't even find the words for what I've been hearing over the last days in relation to what I'm going through. I wanted to extrapolate on my thread a bit about what has been taking place, but I'm so dumbfounded that all I've written more recently is that they're having me back for a biopsy of my thyroid tomorrow.

The reason I write in to your thread right now, is that I believe my condition is directly related to the benzos, and I too believe things will clear up if only given more time off. BUT, would THEY have me believe this??! NO. Would they try to scare the living you know what out of me and not hear what I'm saying- these so called 'medical professionals,' absolutely. So I lay here tossing and turning with nightmares and the scariest thoughts, trying to fight them off, until my results return.

It could sound like I was blaming all this on benzos and doctors without rational thought, however something funny happened (it wasn't the only part of my story that makes up a whole logical picture for why this is all taking place for me and I shouldn't be fearing for my life.) What happened was that I was going to continue my fairly rapid taper at a much more reasonable pace, but I was forced to jump and stop tapering because I felt absolutely TOXIC on klonopin. I mean beyond bad w/'s, my thyroid was getting bigger very rapidly and a lymph node in my neck which has also been swollen seemed directly involved along with crippling tiredness and irritability and the very clear feeling that my body was not going to take one more dose because the sh*t was POISON. So I did stop. And I felt A LOT better after just ONE DAY. And a week later, though still enlarged, my thyroid had gone down and decreased in size a noticable amount. My mother and I both noticed it again and again, and it was easier for me to lie down and also to swallow food... And breathe.

Anyway, there's more to my experience and reasoning but they don't listen anyway and it starts to feel like what one has to say must really not matter, and all the other feelings that go along with this besides all the invalidation. And what I really want to say, is THANK YOU for sharing this so that I could read it tonight, because my np would have me thinking I should be "very worried" because "they are." And a bunch of other things that may not apply at all to my situation but have me feeling awful through this process.

Great post a, I can feel and completely understand your frustration!    :hug:

Sorry there was a lot of reading there and its late where i am . I will go back through it later.

I have an overactive thyroid and my t3 levels are high. Do you guys recommend taking medication to get it under control? My symptoms have been the same for 6 months and im sure this is what is causing my problems which are the same 4 symptoms - fatigue , muscle soreness , mild anxiety and mild cogfog.

Did they help at all or should i let it try heal itself. Im 15 months out from short term minimum dose of valium and i should be healed by now ?? Thanks . Like i said i will read through it in the morning

There is a website you may find very helpful, I dound it from other posts on here about thyrois issues.

If you put in " stop the thyroid madness " into a search engine it should be the first website to come up because it has that phrase in the title.

Sorry about my lengthy reply!

Sorry there was a lot of reading there and its late where i am . I will go back through it later.

I have an overactive thyroid and my t3 levels are high. Do you guys recommend taking medication to get it under control? My symptoms have been the same for 6 months and im sure this is what is causing my problems which are the same 4 symptoms - fatigue , muscle soreness , mild anxiety and mild cogfog.

Did they help at all or should i let it try heal itself. Im 15 months out from short term minimum dose of valium and i should be healed by now ?? Thanks . Like i said i will read through it in the morning

I'm not familiar with t3 meds, the levothyroxine I take only affects t4, which is what the vast majority of people need. There's other thyroid meds "Armour Thyroid" and "Nature Thyroid" which affect both t3 and t4. My sister takes the second one and it helps. Levothyroxine helped me a few years ago when my thryoid was underactive and I was still on Xanax (but not tapering). My thyroid went back to normal after about 6 months and I stopped the med.

If you do take meds, they will probably make you feel better, but get your bloodwork rechecked every few months because it can change and you may need to change or drop your thryoid med.

There is a website you may find very helpful, I dound it from other posts on here about thyrois issues.

If you put in " stop the thyroid madness " into a search engine it should be the first website to come up because it has that phrase in the title.

Hi a!  You don't have to appologize for a lengthy reply! It was really interesting, informative and tells us where you are at in all this. All good things!  I hope things are going extremely well for you and God Bless you and give you strength to get through w/d and this "thyroid madness". You have incredible strength from what I can tell....you'll do great!!!

~CeCe    :smitten:

Hi a!  You don't have to appologize for a lengthy reply! It was really interesting, informative and tells us where you are at in all this. All good things!  I hope things are going extremely well for you and God Bless you and give you strength to get through w/d and this "thyroid madness". You have incredible strength from what I can tell....you'll do great!!!

~CeCe    :smitten:

Thank you so much CeCe. Believe it or not you continue to be a very positive influence and great support for me through all this. I can't say how thankful I am for your support. :smitten:

You do the same for me, a. I'm so glad we met, even though it's under less than perfect conditions....

What's not to love about paradise?  LOL

:laugh: :laugh: Where do I begin.....

Yay for this thread! I've had Hashimotos leading to hyopthyroidism for years, been stable on synthroid + cytomel same dose for years then during benzo w/d had to stop taking these completely to get *any* sleep at all. Normally not taking these will cause me to want to sleep all day long, but stopping during acute, I was finally able to get some sleep after a month so I've been able to ramp back up during month 2 benzo free. The interesting thing is that if I ramp back up too quickly, I start feeling hyper - rapid heartbeat, weight loss, all that stuff, so I slow it down. I too am convinced there is a connection between benzo w/d and thyroid function that's pretty direct, like w/d kicks you into hyper - sure felt like I was hyper that week I c/t off klonapin. I've just been concerned with what I can do to get myself functional so it's interesting to see what everyone else has to say about it!

Oh, and in order to get properly medicated for the thyroid stuff I had to read several books, websites, find a good doctor who wasn't freaked out by a really low TSH (since TSH levels don't mean crap) and all that. It wasn't easy! Love Stopthethyroidmadeness and thyroid-info.com, CeCe!

Gina