Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help, what to do?

[Jo...]

I am already in withdrawal and have been for quite some time and only recently my doctor told me what it was and gave me the Ashton Manual (long story).  Anyway I have started my taper and am down 7% and have 93% to go.  I am working part time because that is all I can handle.  I am going to start cutting again and don't know if I should continue to work or not.  Work is a great distraction but it takes EVERYTHING I have to get there everyday and function.

I took the day off yesterday because I had to take my son to the doctor.  I was home by 11:00am and had nothing to do all day.  It was a day from hell.  I can't figure out which is worse, working or staying home.  I believe once I start cutting again I won't be able to go to work.

My question is how hard should I continue to try to work?  It seems I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.  What to do, What to do?

I am fearing I will get worse and worse as my taper progresses.  Does anyone get better as they taper?

I think your best chance of keeping at work is to have a very long and gentle taper. Otherwise you probably just won't be able to. That seems to be how it works for most people.

Work is definitely good for those who can manage it. Sitting in the house all day isn't, I can affirm...

I'd keep on the way you are. If you are able work can really help. Slow and steady taper though if you can work. If I wasn't agoraphobic I'd seek any and all distractions outside my house. B

Thanks for the advice Benzo Barb and Belfast2016.  I believe working is the right thing to do but all I want to do is stay in bed.  And, it just does not make sense because if I stay in bed without any distractions it is hell, or I should say a deeper level of hell.  Work is a good distraction but it is also a source of stress. 

At the rate I am going it is going to take me at least another 1.5 years to finish my taper.  I hope I am strong enough to weather the storm.  Who knows how bad things will get and what my life will look like once I heal, if I ever do. :-\